Rules question

VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New rule this year, coaches are responsible for jewelry, bobby pins, hair clips, etc.

Coaches are also responsible for the height of shin guards as well. Yellow card to coach for any uniform or equipment violation.

I think that the referees got tired of checking players before games and figured people would police themselves if there were serious consequences attached.

I think that the referees got tired of checking players before games and figured people would police themselves if there were serious consequences attached.

Not Quite right. NFHS rules are make by a committee that is made up of School Administrators and Coaches. There is a referee representative on the committee but s/he does not have a vote. So any and all blame for NFHS soccer rules should be placed at the feet of the Administrators and Coaches who do have votes. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

That`s a stupid way to enforce it. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I agree VolGen! I've been playing the game since 1964 and coaching since 1975 and although we have seen wonderful growth of our sport in the USA we have also overburdened it with junk like this. I'm all for the safety of the player, but it should not be a card. On the high school level, soccer is the most regulated and penalizing sport of all. Let's stop micro-managing and let the beautiful game roll on! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

So PC - why are we so concerned about bobby pins, ear rings and bracelets?

I hope you are trying to be funny! Its called player safety.

Ever seen a stud earring after its been hit into the side of the neck?

Ever seen a hoop earring that been yanked off?

Ever seen someone's finger who got it caught in bracelet as they ran past.

Want to be wearing a nose stud when you take a ball in the face?

And I don't like the new rule either, because the referees are still the ones who have to enforce it. I think the intent must have been to put pressure on coaches to make sure the players don't have any illegal equipment.

This was brought home a couple of weeks ago while our girls were practicing for tournament match the next day. One of our defenders wore a metal hair clasp to practice. The team held a scrimmage during practice and this girl collided with another girl and the clasp split her scalp open. Bled badly for several minites. Almost needed a hospital visit.

I hope you are trying to be funny! Its called player safety.

Ever seen a stud earring after its been hit into the side of the neck?

Ever seen a hoop earring that been yanked off?

Ever seen someone's finger who got it caught in bracelet as they ran past.

Want to be wearing a nose stud when you take a ball in the face?

And I don't like the new rule either, because the referees are still the ones who have to enforce it. I think the intent must have been to put pressure on coaches to make sure the players don't have any illegal equipment.

No, I'm not being funny - I'm serious. Ever see a kids head split open because no head gear was required? Let's put this stuff into the correct perspective. What's more important to you - your kid's brain or his/her earlobe?

No, I'm not being funny - I'm serious. Ever see a kids head split open because no head gear was required? Let's put this stuff into the correct perspective. What's more important to you - your kid's brain or his/her earlobe?

They're all important. The rules clearly allow me to help protect players by making sure they don't wear bracelets, earrings, etc. So I'm going to enforce them. The rules don't allow me to force players to wear head gear, so I can't. Perhaps the pressure would be better put on coaches and schools to force their players to wear head gear. And yes, a head injury is more serious than a torn earlobe.

They're all important. The rules clearly allow me to help protect players by making sure they don't wear bracelets, earrings, etc. So I'm going to enforce them. The rules don't allow me to force players to wear head gear, so I can't. Perhaps the pressure would be better put on coaches and schools to force their players to wear head gear. And yes, a head injury is more serious than a torn earlobe.

So I go back to my original statement which you took offense to - it's PC and frivolous to require the removal of earrings and not require head gear. The problem is no one has the guts to require the use of headgear.

This was brought home a couple of weeks ago while our girls were practicing for tournament match the next day. One of our defenders wore a metal hair clasp to practice. The team held a scrimmage during practice and this girl collided with another girl and the clasp split her scalp open. Bled badly for several minites. Almost needed a hospital visit.

Anyone who knows anything about scalp injuries knows even minor ones bleed like stink and look horrible for a few minutes then stop. The fact that it "almost needed a hospital visit" means it wasn't serious. We should discourage the use of cleats since they can do exactly the same thing. I would be more concerned about this players concussion (yes she suffered one) rather than the minor scalp laceration.