CCS vs. CPA

NSIndiansFan

I have been waiting for somone to bring this up. But since no has.... I will. In the Class A-AA semifinal on Thursday at CCS, Doug Sena (the center ref) called a PK with less then 10 minutes to go in the match. At the time, CCS was winning 1-0. Rita Spellings for CPA converted the PK to tie the game, and then 1:13 later Rita Spellings scored on a cross for the game-winning goal.

Was the PK the correct call??

Sena, a ref from Jackson, called a hold in the box. No one went down the flow of play did not really change. I did not see the foul and I do not think Sena was in position to make the call either. The call changed the momentum of the game. Sena makes calls like that all the time in West Tenn to ruin games, now East Tennessee got a taste of him.

I do not want to take anything away from CPA. They are a great team, that fought hard all the way to the end of the match. Spellings is a great athlete.

Give your feedback.

I thought the defender was doing a good job on the girl from CPA until the defender extended her arm out all the way. To me it looked like the girl from CPA was getting behind the defender and thus creating an opportunity to get a shot off. I would estimate that the attacker was 6 yards off off line of the near post and 7 yards off the end line when the foul was called. In hindsight I think it would have been a difficult shot to have gotten off with any pace or accuracy but I felt like the referee was justified in making the call. It is not up to the ref to determine whether one can score or not just whether a had foul occured. The full arm extension certainly knocked the attacking player off the ball and thus ending any scoring threat. The foul certainly could not have been called and we would be discussing why no foul was called and how that changed the game the other way. Just my opinion.

Having refereed many games with the referee in question, I can tell you that he is a quality referee who takes the position and responsibility of the position very seriously. With him being from West Tennessee, I see no reason to suspect any favortism or bias in a game between CPA (Nashville) and CCS (Chattanooga).

As a parent of player who has played in games with the referee, I've disagreed with calls he's made - but as a parent I tend to lose the objectivity of calls made by any referee. But again, when refereeing with him, he can be a very effective and disciplined referee.

As to the call, I didn't see it, but it appears that Chasanooga (who I assume is from Chattanooga) described an outstretched arm all the way - which is a classic descriptor of a holding call. Whether or not the attacker lost an advantage due to the outstretched arm, an outstretched arm would certainly give a referee reason to suspect a hold was taking place, and therefore potentially justify the call.