Armstrong resigns at Sequatchie Co.

awfl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The players and coaches all have some fault involved whenever you're 1-19 over a two year period. X's and O's, I'd have done some things differently at times but it's easy to say that after something goes wrong. At times the team was missing smart play on the field, in the first half of the season during the easier part of the schedule penalties just killed them. A couple less here or there and they might have beaten Whitwell, Dade and Cannon or at least been in a better position to win at the end. The penalties dropped during the last half of the schedule but the schedule was harder overall so it didn't make that much of a difference.

I would have liked to have seen how the team would have finished had two starting linemen (one senior and one junior left tackle) been able to play 10 games, they were averaging 23 points and around 300 yards after two games (20-13 over Pigeon Forge, 28-26 loss to Cannon) and after that didn't surpass 14 points, most games didn't surpass 200 yards if I remember right. That's on top of a starting senior receiver being out all year and two or three linemen from last season not coming back and they'd likely been starting (one moved, one dismissed, one quit). One started last year as a freshman and had a good overall season. Line was a weak spot again this year, at least three first year players (two freshmen and a first year sophomore) got some starting action. Like I said in another post I think they'll be good players but you're not going to do much with players that young in the line. Coach Barger will likely be considered but that's his choice whether to even apply. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest again, crowd support was high until the end especially considering lack of team success, numbers were good with about 50 players (though there are way too many more who ought to be playing and aren't), facilities are unmatched compared to most of the similar schools in the state.

The players and coaches all have some fault involved whenever you're 1-19 over a two year period. X's and O's, I'd have done some things differently at times but it's easy to say that after something goes wrong. At times the team was missing smart play on the field, in the first half of the season during the easier part of the schedule penalties just killed them. A couple less here or there and they might have beaten Whitwell, Dade and Cannon or at least been in a better position to win at the end. The penalties dropped during the last half of the schedule but the schedule was harder overall so it didn't make that much of a difference.

I would have liked to have seen how the team would have finished had two starting linemen (one senior and one junior left tackle) been able to play 10 games, they were averaging 23 points and around 300 yards after two games (20-13 over Pigeon Forge, 28-26 loss to Cannon) and after that didn't surpass 14 points, most games didn't surpass 200 yards if I remember right. That's on top of a starting senior receiver being out all year and two or three linemen from last season not coming back and they'd likely been starting (one moved, one dismissed, one quit). One started last year as a freshman and had a good overall season. Line was a weak spot again this year, at least three first year players (two freshmen and a first year sophomore) got some starting action. Like I said in another post I think they'll be good players but you're not going to do much with players that young in the line. Coach Barger will likely be considered but that's his choice whether to even apply. I'm sure there will be plenty of interest again, crowd support was high until the end especially considering lack of team success, numbers were good with about 50 players (though there are way too many more who ought to be playing and aren't), facilities are unmatched compared to most of the similar schools in the state.

Any chance Sid Fritz(I think thats his name) comes back?