Gibbs coach hanging it up

littlemn88

They probably will not start interviewing until after Christmas break, probably second week of January. As for Coach Jessie, all I have at this time is that he started teaching in 1999, and he is a PE teacher. I do have a phone number for him, and I will attempt to contact him maybe sometime this week without being too forward. I was trying to find out where he went to high school and college. Does anyone have that information.

He went to and played for Powell Valley High School. That's one of the schools that merged to form Cumberland Gap. He went to Lincoln Memorial University. He didn't play college ball. I hope that doesn't throw a strike against him. It would be a shame if it did. He's one of the one's that proves, you don't have to play college ball to be a good coach.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He went to and played for Powell Valley High School. That's one of the schools that merged to form Cumberland Gap. He went to Lincoln Memorial University. He didn't play college ball. I hope that doesn't throw a strike against him. It would be a shame if it did. He's one of the one's that proves, you don't have to play college ball to be a good coach.

I agree with your statement Veerman8133 about not having to play in college to make a good coach. Lincoln Memorial University doesnt even have a football team, and Powell Valley High School was barely on the map. That area has definitely grown in the last few years. Coach Jessie and the staff of CG have finally drawn attention to an area of East Tennessee that has been quite deserving, atleast in my opinion anyway. Small community high schools can make a name for themselves too! And its time Gibbs has its shot at some glory. QBDad, I'm sure Coach Jessie would be very excited to hear from someone regarding his application for this HC position so they can let him know his name is definitely being spoken. I have thought about contacting him as well, considering I have spoken briefly with him after some of the games I have been able to attend. He may not remember me, but I think he would be very pleased knowing the positive remarks he has been getting on here. I don't know if there is anything we could do to rally for this guy outside of posting blogs on CoachT. If anyone has an idea, throw them out there!!

Besides being a good Coach who is Coach Jessie connected to in the community? It appears he is getting a big push from some of the folks in the Gibbs area. Maybe a little politics involved. Like I said earlier the administrators need to hire the best Coach and Teacher. Not the most connected one. If Jessie is the man so be it. But based on some of the names i am hearing that may not be the case.

Besides being a good Coach who is Coach Jessie connected to in the community? It appears he is getting a big push from some of the folks in the Gibbs area. Maybe a little politics involved. Like I said earlier the administrators need to hire the best Coach and Teacher. Not the most connected one. If Jessie is the man so be it. But based on some of the names i am hearing that would not be the case.

Other than his fiance, I don't know of any ties that Coach Jessie has in the Gibbs community. From what I have read on here, including myself, his biggest push is coming from some of the folks in the Cumberland Gap area. And as far as being a good teacher, he is just that. My son had him and he really liked him as a teacher as well. I'm sure that if you asked him, he would tell you that he doesn't want to get the job by a political push. He has told me that himself. He would want it because he is the best candidate and the best fit for the program. If he's not, then I'm sure he would be fine with that. And we would be too, because we don't want to lose him!

Just beacause someone is getting nice reviews on here doesnt mean politics are involved. What possible ties could he have to Gibbs when he was born and raised in the Cumberland Gap community? If he loved politics then he might as well stay where he is and never try to get out. He seems to be genuinely interested in bringing Gibbs a whole new attitude and a fresh start. I am from the Knoxville area and am rooting for this guy, so he has supporters in both areas. If you have ever talked to him you couldnt resist wanting to see this young man succeed as a HC, cause he has worked hard and his players have nothing but good to ever say about him both as a mentoring football coach and teacher. He is young (30ish I assume) and lots of fire inside. The politics game could very well happen with this position, but not from Coach Jessie's standpoint. He has done a great job at CG. If he stuck it out, I'm sure he would become the next HC there. Coach Jessie and his followers on here agree that his interest here is FOOTBALL. He will be moving to the Corryton area regardless of what happens with all this. CG has to be on their toes right now if he has let them know about applying for this job. He knows what he wants in this profession and is simply doing what is best for himself.

Besides being a good Coach who is Coach Jessie connected to in the community? It appears he is getting a big push from some of the folks in the Gibbs area. Maybe a little politics involved. Like I said earlier the administrators need to hire the best Coach and Teacher. Not the most connected one. If Jessie is the man so be it. But based on some of the names i am hearing that may not be the case.

O and by the way, so what if Coach Jessie is getting a push from people in Gibbs. They have obviously done a little research on him and am thrilled someone from the outside is finally trying to get in. You can't label politics on that.

Just because someone is getting nice reviews on here doesn't mean politics are involved. What possible ties could he have to Gibbs when he is born and raised in the Cumberland Gap community? If he loved politics then he might as well stay where he is and never try to get out. He seems to be genuinely interested in bringing Gibbs a whole new attitude and a fresh start. I am from the Knoxville area and am rooting for this guy, so he has supporters in both areas. If you have ever talked to him you couldn't resist wanting to see this young man succeed as a HC, cause he has worked hard and his players have nothing but good to ever say about him both as a mentoring football coach and teacher. He is young (30ish I assume) and lots of fire inside. The politics game could very well happen with this position, but not from Coach Jessie's standpoint. He has done a great job at CG. If he stuck it out, I'm sure he would become the next HC there. Coach Jessie and his followers on here agree that his interest here in FOOTBALL. He will be moving to the Corryton area regardless of what happens with all this. CG has to be on their toes right now if he has let them know about applying for this job. He knows what he wants in this profession and is simply doing what is best for himself.

Do you live in the Gibbs community?

How are you connected with this Coach Jessie? How did you come to know him and his greatness?

Why would he move to the Corryton Community if there is no connection?

I understand his fiancee is a Gibbs girl?

If he is from the Cumberland Gap area? Would he be going back to Cumberland Gap when the Head Coaching position opened there?

Is he using Gibbs as a stepping stone?

What makes him so much better than the other candidates?

Will he be able to fit his system to the type of talent Gibbs has?

The point is this ever candidate has some kind of connection to Gibbs. Friends, family, fiancee, political, etc... With that being said the powers that be can't be influence by someone's social standing or their politics when selecting the new coach. I am not doubting that this young man has some good qualifications. But understand the other candidates will have similar if not better qualifications. Some will even have college playing experience. Which I don't consider mandatory, but if all things are equal College playing experience could be the deciding factor. Someone in the community is pushing this guy. That someone has an agenda. What it is I wouldn't phantom a guess. The folks that are pushing other candidates also have an agenda. I just want that agenda to be what is in the best interest of the community, school, and the football program. Not be tied up in politics, favors, or nepotism.

I have seen what poor hires have done to the boys basketball program at Central. It has all but destroyed it. I like many of you have an interest in the Gibbs program due to family. I just want to see that the administrators get it right. Hire the best man for the the job. Not the most connected. Not the most convenient. The best!

When they make the hire some will not like it but it is very important that the community get behind the new Coach and help him build a program.

How are you connected with this Coach Jessie? How did you come to know him and his greatness?

If he is from the Cumberland Gap area? Would he be going back to Cumberland Gap when the Head Coaching position opened there?

Answers in order: No; Good friend; No need for the sarcastic greatness comment, but he coached my kid; His fiancee lives in corryton; she is not a gibbs girl, she is from his hometown but moved down there; Nope, he want to go somewhere as an hc and stay there; previous answer applies here as well; Not saying he is, im just saying hes a good coach; yes for sure.

Hope that clears up some of your questions.

The point is this ever candidate has some kind of connection to Gibbs. Friends, family, fiancee, political, etc... With that being said the powers that be can't be influence by someone's social standing or their politics when selecting the new coach. I am not doubting that this young man has some good qualifications. But understand the other candidates will have similar if not better qualifications. Some will even have college playing experience. Which I don't consider mandatory, but if all things are equal College playing experience could be the deciding factor. Someone in the community is pushing this guy. That someone has an agenda. What it is I wouldn't phantom a guess. The folks that are pushing other candidates also have an agenda. I just want that agenda to be what is in the best interest of the community, school, and the football program. Not be tied up in politics, favors, or nepotism.

I have seen what poor hires have done to the boys basketball program at Central. It has all but destroyed it. I like many of you have an interest in the Gibbs program due to family. I just want to see that the administrators get it right. Hire the best man for the the job. Not the most connected. Not the most convenient. The best!

When they make the hire some will not like it but it is very important that the community get behind the new Coach and help him build a program.

First of all, if you are goin to reply, get quotes correct. Read some of the other blogs on here and you will get your answers. But to go ahead with my reply........I have an interest in football, but from a writers perspective. And before you are quick to judge on that, NO THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS!! No his Fiance is not a Gibbs girl, apparently they are both from the CG area and she lives in the Gibbs area for her job in the medical profession. I believe with or without getting married to someone who lives in Gibbs, Coach Jessie would have applied for this position. He has told me he would like to be a HC at some point. Well, this is his chance to try. If the position was open anywhere else in Knox County, I believe he would go for it. It's simply a young coach wanting to take on a team of his own and build something based on the hard work and KNOWLEDGE of the game (which you CAN have even if you didn't play it in college). As for that statement of yours, you don't know his background and why he didn't play in college. For all you know he could have had a sickness in his family and that was his deciding factor to attend college in his hometown. Education is first and foremost! He obviously knows about football--you should have read the Prep Extra section more often. Granted, there may be better candidates, with college playing experience as well. His "greatness" you made reference too sounded very demeaning. I never said he was better than anyone else. Some of us on CoachT are simply saying he has qualifications as well. If he isn't the man for the job, then ok. CG will be very happy!! CG has a system he has been used to for years, Gibbs is much different. But thats the Glory of football. But you really need to understand he has NO CONNECTIONS to anyone in Gibbs. I can't say enough that he is a young coach with a bright future for himself no matter where he goes. Is it so hard to believe that someone has a GENUINE interest in taking on bigger responsibilites and wanting to do so with a team that is in great need of revamping? There are good people in this world who truly want to make a difference. I dont know that anyone in particular from Gibbs is pushing for Coach Jessie. Everyone who is applying for this job is getting a push from people who care and support their decisions. Gibbs is a small but growing communtity whose members are very supportive of their school's athletics. I do agree with you that they need to hire the best fit, as a teacher and coach.

First of all, if you are goin to reply, get quotes correct. Read some of the other blogs on here and you will get your answers. But to go ahead with my reply........I have an interest in football, but from a writers perspective. And before you are quick to judge on that, NO THIS IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS!! No his Fiance is not a Gibbs girl, apparently they are both from the CG area and she lives in the Gibbs area for her job in the medical profession. I believe with or without getting married to someone who lives in Gibbs, Coach Jessie would have applied for this position. He has told me he would like to be a HC at some point. Well, this is his chance to try. If the position was open anywhere else in Knox County, I believe he would go for it. It's simply a young coach wanting to take on a team of his own and build something based on the hard work and KNOWLEDGE of the game (which you CAN have even if you didn't play it in college). As for that statement of yours, you don't know his background and why he didn't play in college. For all you know he could have had a sickness in his family and that was his deciding factor to attend college in his hometown. Education is first and foremost! He obviously knows about football--you should have read the Prep Extra section more often. Granted, there may be better candidates, with college playing experience as well. His "greatness" you made reference too sounded very demeaning. I never said he was better than anyone else. Some of us on CoachT are simply saying he has qualifications as well. If he isn't the man for the job, then ok. CG will be very happy!! CG has a system he has been used to for years, Gibbs is much different. But thats the Glory of football. But you really need to understand he has NO CONNECTIONS to anyone in Gibbs. I can't say enough that he is a young coach with a bright future for himself no matter where he goes. Is it so hard to believe that someone has a GENUINE interest in taking on bigger responsibilites and wanting to do so with a team that is in great need of revamping? There are good people in this world who truly want to make a difference. I dont know that anyone in particular from Gibbs is pushing for Coach Jessie. Everyone who is applying for this job is getting a push from people who care and support their decisions. Gibbs is a small but growing communtity whose members are very supportive of their school's atheletics. I do agree with you that they need to hire the best fit, as a teacher and coach.

RedandBlack63, maybe you should contact Coach Jessie. Ask him yourself all the questions you just asked me. I am only stating my opinions regarding this guy.

You need to change your name to BLACK and BLUE, because that is what you have beaten this thing!!!!!!!!!! Coach Jessie would do a fine job. I am sure, and I know him both personally and professionally, he would not want the job if he was not the best man for the job.

Sean Jessie is his name. He is 30 years old. He is currently at CG (is the oc there right now), he did not coach in ky, that would be the head coach, who was the oc last year. He started here in 05 as the rb coach. He was appointed the oc this past season and i think he worked real close with the oc last year. I know he has definitely applied for the job and is definitely very interested in it. I spoke to him the other day before he left for the state games. He said that if he was given the opportunity, he felt he could for sure make a difference down there. I'm tellin ya, the guy has got somethin about him!! I'd hire him!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This young man sounds like the coach that Gibbs needs. The big problem he would have or anyone outside the program is coaching with the coaches that are at Gibbs. Most of the time in Knox-County you cannot have other coaches come with you (If you are lucky you may get one). If you have a person on the staff and they wanted the job you will have to deal with this. I hope Gibbs get the best coach possible and hope the parents and community will give him the support that he will need to give Gibbs a GREAT program.

To the coaches at Gibbs who ever get the head job work with him and do what he ask because thing are going to be different. Don't be a problem get behind him and support him don't talk about him in the community if you cannot do this you need to step down. I have work with 8 different head coaches and all of them had their way of doing things and each time I had to adjust to them that is your job as an assistant coach.