Gibbs coach hanging it up

littlemn88

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sick and tired of everyone bashing the coaches at GHS. They are all fine people who expect the best from their players on and off of the field. I know you say you are not "bashing" them, but you are. You are also putting down the players who work very hard for the coached. I am certain that when it comes time for hiring a new coach the administration at GHS will make the best decision for everyone involved.

Well guess what ........I am sick and tired of this coaching staff. I have watched for years and have been around other high schools football teams and I am telling you this program is doing alot of kids wrong. IT"S NOT ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT"S ABOUT WHO YOU ARE. I watch kids stand on the sideline ( that should be starting) and never get in the game. This staff has been here for a lot of years, these kids are here for 4 years at a time. These kids that come out and play football are working hard and are great kids, but they are being bashed by their own coaches. They fill like they can't play. They do not fill good about their self, because they work hard all week and when it's game time, they never get in no matter what the score is. You build teams by playing the young kids when you can.

(also it gives kids something to work for an they fill good) I know there are alot of kids, past and present, that love this staff. They are fine people and I like them away from football, but they can not coach. I am sorry you fill like I am bashing these grown men, but what about the kids that bust there butt and the coaches do not even care, because it is all about who you are........ Look at the hallways at Gibbs, full of kids that could play, ask why they do not play and they will tell you it's the coach. You act like this is something new at Gibbs, but it's been going on for a long time and if you have been apart of this program you know it's true. Look at the programs that have success....Maryville, Alcoa ,Fulton..... when you go watch these teams, they play everbody when they get the chance. I have heard with my own two ears a coach say, the reason we do not win is because we do not have football players, we have kids that think they can play..... So you can fill sorry for the coaches if you want, I'm not. I have seen and heard way to much over the years. This is the time to make it right. I hope this administration does make the right decision, because they had many times to make the right decision in the past and did not. We need to get away from this good boy network, it has grown over the years and it is not healthy for a program. Look at the record, tell me i'm wrong.

Well guess what ........I am sick and tired of this coaching staff. I have watched for years and have been around other high schools football teams and I am telling you this program is doing alot of kids wrong.

Well, well, well, I was waiting for this to happen. Now everything is the coaches fault because kids don't play.

Look at the hallways at Gibbs, full of kids that could play, ask why they do not play and they will tell you it's the coach.

What a cop out. My parents would have never allowed me to not play for some coach just because I didn't like him. What message is that teaching the kid? Now you have given that child an out for when he is grown and has to work for a boss that he doesn't like. What's he going to do, quit job after job till he finds a boss he can work with? Sometimes in life you gotta get tough, play through pain and learn something from it. That's what wrong with society, everyone wants the easy road in life and life ain't easy. It takes hard work, sacrifice, and determination. It's really easy to say " I don't want to play for that guy". I've played for coaches and with players that I could have cared less about, but they were not going to deter me from my goals and aspirations. A lot of the problems with kids walking the halls are because they are lazy, with no work ethic and expect everything to be handed to them and coddled while the parents have set no expectations for their kids. I expect my kid to come home with straight A's and he does. Is he rewarded? Yes, with self satisfaction because he worked hard for his grades. I expect him to play hard in every sport or activity that he pursues. Does he? Yes, because I and his mother have taught him that life is not easy and it takes hard work to succeed. I will never allow my child to quit something that he loves just because "he doesn't like the coach". Many parents today make life too easy on their children and allow them to make decisions that the parent should make.

IT"S NOT ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT"S ABOUT WHO YOU ARE

Well, unfortunately it is about who you are. If you act like an idiot, don't take care of school work, and walk around with an attitude like the world owes you something, then it is about who you are.

Honestly, it sounds like sour grapes to me, was you child not good enough to play? Did you think he was Peyton Manning but he ended up being Ryan Leaf? Was you child made to follow rules and standards that you never set forth and when a coach did it was too difficult. That's what it sounds like.

So you can fill sorry for the coaches if you want

By the way, could you please proof read your post and correct obvious grammatical and spelling errors.

Well, well, well, I was waiting for this to happen. Now everything is the coaches fault because kids don't play.

What a cop out. My parents would have never allowed me to not play for some coach just because I didn't like him. What message is that teaching the kid? Now you have given that child an out for when he is grown and has to work for a boss that he doesn't like. What's he going to do, quit job after job till he finds a boss he can work with? Sometimes in life you gotta stink it up, play through pain and learn something from it. That's what wrong with society, everyone wants the easy road in life and life ain't easy. It takes hard work, sacrifice, and determination. It's really easy to say " I don't want to play for that guy". I've played for coaches and with players that I could have cared less about, but they were not going to deter me from my goals and aspirations. A lot of the problems with kids walking the halls are because they are lazy, with no work ethic and expect everything to be handed to them and coddled while the parents have set no expectations for their kids. I expect my kid to come home with straight A's and he does. Is he rewarded? Yes, with self satisfaction because he worked hard for his grades. I expect him to play hard in every sport or activity that he pursues. Does he? Yes, because I and his mother have taught him that life is not easy and it takes hard work to succeed. I will never allow my child to quit something that he loves just because "he doesn't like the coach". Many parents today make life too easy on their children and allow them to make decisions that the parent should make.

Well, unfortunately it is about who you are. If you act like an idiot, don't take care of school work, and walk around with an attitude like the world owes you something, then it is about who you are.

Honestly, it sounds like sour grapes to me, was you child not good enough to play? Did you think he was Payton Manning but he ended up being Ryan Leaf? Was you child made to follow rules and standards that you never set forth and when a coach did it was too difficult. That's what it sounds like.

By the way, could you please proof read your post and correct obvious grammatical and spelling errors.

QBDad, I think since you have personally talked to some of the candidates, maybe you need to get in touch with Coach Jessie from Cumberland Gap and see what you think. Out of all the names being mentioned, he is the only one OUTSIDE THE NETWORK of Knox County football--exactly what this Gibbs program needs. He has no ties, yet from other posts on here he seems to be the most genuinely interested candidate, but at the same time is said to have all the qualifications and them some of what the Gibbs administration is speculated of wanting for the future of the program. I agree with some of the others, Gibbs needs to bring in a younger coach--full of energy and enthusiasm. I'm really hoping this guy atleast gets an interview. Like I said before, I have had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Jessie after a few of the CG games I have attended over the years. Very personable I must say. I just hope Gibbs makes the right decision in the end no matter who they choose. I know everyone is wanting to know who the big headliner of the Sentinel sports section is gonna be!!

Just an opinion or two. Coach Hurst is a name that I have heard along with Coach Quarle, from Halls. Haven't heard Coach Hassell. Hurst would be the logical choice of the three because of age and experience. He would probably want to hire Coach Ward, his former high school coach to run the offense.

reddevilfever,

You sound like you know something from behind the scenes on Caoch Mac and Coach Shep. I think you are right that Coach Mac will take over for Joel Helton. Now you said Coach Shep would not leave Clarksville to back to E. Tenn. I have heard many rumors saying he was going to go back into college coaching because his is good friends with the coaches at Austin Peay and at Tenn. Tech. Now have you heard these rumors or are they just rumors? Do you have any information on how his team did this past year in Clarksville?

Please share

The positive is that this thread is getting a lot of interest. This indicates people are interested in the success of the Football program at Gibbs. Community interest is of the utmost importance in developing a good athletic program. Now the administration needs to hire a coach that will bring the community together and build a program. Understand success will not come over night and the community can't turn on the coach the first sign of trouble.

What a cop out. My parents would have never allowed me to not play for some coach just because I didn't like him. What message is that teaching the kid? Now you have given that child an out for when he is grown and has to work for a boss that he doesn't like. What's he going to do, quit job after job till he finds a boss he can work with? Sometimes in life you gotta stink it up, play through pain and learn something from it. That's what wrong with society, everyone wants the easy road in life and life ain't easy. It takes hard work, sacrifice, and determination. It's really easy to say " I don't want to play for that guy". I've played for coaches and with players that I could have cared less about, but they were not going to deter me from my goals and aspirations. A lot of the problems with kids walking the halls are because they are lazy, with no work ethic and expect everything to be handed to them and coddled while the parents have set no expectations for their kids. I expect my kid to come home with straight A's and he does. Is he rewarded? Yes, with self satisfaction because he worked hard for his grades. I expect him to play hard in every sport or activity that he pursues. Does he? Yes, because I and his mother have taught him that life is not easy and it takes hard work to succeed. I will never allow my child to quit something that he loves just because "he doesn't like the coach". Many parents today make life too easy on their children and allow them to make decisions that the parent should make.

Honestly, it sounds like sour grapes to me, was you child not good enough to play? Did you think he was Payton Manning but he ended up being Ryan Leaf? Was you child made to follow rules and standards that you never set forth and when a coach did it was too difficult. That's what it sounds like.

THANK U THANK U THANK U JJWSIV! Was waiting for that to be said. So many parents try to live what they missed in their lives through the lives of their kids. This isn't little league dad; this is high school athletics! Grammar and spelling errors really getting to me too!

QBDad, I think since you have personally talked to some of the candidates, maybe you need to get in touch with Coach Jessie from Cumberland Gap and see what you think. Out of all the names being mentioned, he is the only one OUTSIDE THE NETWORK of Knox County football--exactly what this Gibbs program needs. He has no ties, yet from other posts on here he seems to be the most genuinely interested candidate, but at the same time is said to have all the qualifications and them some of what the Gibbs administration is speculated of wanting for the future of the program. I agree with some of the others, Gibbs needs to bring in a younger coach--full of energy and enthusiasm. I'm really hoping this guy atleast gets an interview. Like I said before, I have had the pleasure of speaking with Coach Jessie after a few of the CG games I have attended over the years. Very personable I must say. I just hope Gibbs makes the right decision in the end no matter who they choose. I know everyone is wanting to know who the big headliner of the Sentinel sports section is gonna be!!

Yes! That would be good QBdad. Could you please get a picture? We are anxious to see what he looks like. We don't want an ugly man to be on the sideline with the already "sexy" staff.

The positive is that this thread is getting a lot of interest. This indicates people are interested in the success of the Football program at Gibbs. Community interest is of the utmost importance in developing a good athletic program. Now the administration needs to hire a coach that will bring the community together and build a program. Understand success will not come over night and the community can't turn on the coach the first sign of trouble.

I agree with you redandblack63 about the administration needing to hire a coach that can bring the community back together. For years the community has been split and needs to heal around the future new coach and his staff. The kids just want to be given a chance to play and that their opportunity will come with hard work, perservierence (sp?), preparation, and the right attitude.

As being a father with a son on this past year's team, I understand the many positions taken by previous posters on this thread and know of their many contributions both on and off the field. This is something that has been brewing for many years in the community. It is divided by those that like the status quo and those that don't. We all want what is best for the Gibbs football program.

My son has asked me what I thought about the team and his situation and lack of playing time. I've expressed my opinion to him but also told him this "Do you love the game? If you do, play it to the best of your ability and leave everything you have on the field. If you don't love the game anymore, leave it in peace after the season ends and never ever think about what if? It's all your choice because if you want a chance at the glory, you will need the guts to get there."

Sorry about the metaphors gang but Gibbs football needs healing when the new head coach takes over. Let us (the parents) start it now and throw our support to whomever is chosen by the administration regardless of the past.

What do you wanna know about the youth program?

We've got one and it is getting better each year, but it also faces the same problems as any other youth program in the area, funding, coaches training, facilities, etc. But as a parent and coach in the program, we are challenging ourselves and children to get better each year and we are seeing our kids succeed on and off the field. In fact, I'm quite proud of our kids and coaches and parents.