Who will be the next Soddy-Daisy coach?

Haymaker

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Soddy-Daisy is around the Chattanooga area, north of the city. About half an hour from Red Bank and 10 minutes from Hixson High School. Soddy is a very nice school with a student body of about 1700. We have the state champion wrestling teams and softball team. We have never won a state chmpionship in football. Several good players including Donovan White, Bubba Haney, Scott Parrot, Scott Beavers and many many others. Scott Parrot is the starting quarterback and will be a junior next season. Very quiet young man with loads of talent. Bubba Haney is probably one of the best returners in the area. Donovan White finished the year 4th in the area in catches. The football field is very nice. Definatly the nicest grass I have ever played on. Some of the best test scores of any public school in the state. Incredible support from the community and fans. There is one of the best booster clubs I have seen. Brand new strength and conditioning coach. He was a coach for the strength and conditioning for the University of West Virgina. A lot of community pride comes along with the school and everynight we would walk through the crowd as we entered the stadium while "Tribute to Troy" would play. This community has put a lot into this football team over the many seasons and I think that it is about time that they get something in return. The players and their families are a very blue collar type of person and they love hard work. i think that there needs to be a coach that can fit that style and has the ove of the game. Cause as we say, "If you ain't from SODDY, you ain't NOBODY!".

i used to play for the soddy daisy trojans. and yes i was #48. i love the soddy daisy trojans. i feel that we need a coach like ted from ooltewah. or maybe we should look around the knoxville area. those teams around there have lots of good coaches and not to wish ill repair on one of those teams. but if one of those coaches come here, all i could hope is that they bring a couple of coaches with them like most normally do. we have a lot of talent in the middle school so they should be excited about what is to come. the loftis middle cougars eighth grade team has never lost a game. so that shows that they are plenty talented. their running back clarncio holmes [sp?] reset the loftis rushing record set by billy zimmerman. and the freshman almost beat the baylor junior varsity. what ever coach comes here needs to know that the community will be behind them and will love them. we love our football here and i can promise you that come week 4 against bradley central i think the stands will be packed. we want the blue and gold to hi the field and the other team be beat physically, mentally, emotionally, and statistically. and if they have kids, they can get a plenty good education here.

Soddy is a great place for a coach who can get them on track. The community support is second to none. The boosters are great. A coach will have everything they feel they need to be successful. Soddy needs a coach who brings excitement to the program, and who motivates the entire school to get involved. There have always been some great athletes walking the halls that need to be on the football field.

Goodluck to the Trojans in finding the coach that can help bring this program great success.

Soddy-Daisy is years away from being competitive at a district level, much less state. The Trojans have pretty good size, but little speed or athleticism.

A good middle school or feeder school team is nice to brag about, but that sometimes means little in the years to come. Guys drop out, get fat, lose interest, have bad grades, you name it.

Hiring Tom Weathers was a poor move four years ago. He was a good coach "back in the day," and is a quality person. But he hasn't accomplished much since Red Bank in 2000, and that was all Gerald Riggs (who ironically enough, hasn't accomplished much since then either).

Everybody knew Tom was at SD because he was getting humiliated by losing constantly in Georgia, needed to get out of a bad situation, and wanted to pad his retirement (can't blame him for that). But he was obviously not at SD to build a program, or to stay for the long run. He's just too old for that.

It is a mystery to many Chattanooga area fans, however, that a school with 1700 students, presumably about 850 of them male, can't find enough decent football players to do better than 2-8. You don't expect SD to beat a Red Bank, a smaller school with more gifted athletes. But there's no excuse for losing badly to teams more on SD's level. A good young coach with a disciplined weight program and some talent in teaching fundamental skills might get the Trojans to a 5-5 or 6-4 record within 2 or 3 years.