Sequoyah Football

warchief

Most of the time they were content to make the tackle 6-8 yards down field. It seemed to me that reaction was as big a concern as recognition. It seemed that they new where the play was going but chose to let it come to them. That will definitely have to change. I would like to see more plays made in the backfield or on the line of scrimmage. But, maybe with better D-Line play this will help. Also, was this just me or did the LB's seem to almost always blitz toward the middle, when most teams were killing us off tackle. That was something that seemed to hurt us. Never really noticed a blitz to try to stop those off tackle plays.

I agree. It seemed to me also that every blitzer drifted to the middle,causing them to be blocked or shielded from the running back. I can see that on a pass play,but when a team is running off tackle as well as most did against us,it is way more important to hold your position. Again,I blame our youth and inexperience for this. Recognition and reaction go hand in hand,and we had to little of both. Seeing the play develop in front of you and reacting quickly is a big part experience and instinct. Know the keys. Study film,see if a guard pulls,or the tackle blocks down,or if a back leans before the play starts. A lot of this comes from experience. I,too,believe improved D-line play will help the 'backers,and the defense as a whole.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH. If I thought Sanders needed to go I would have put that on here. I credit him with the improvements that were made this year on the O-Line.

I'm sorry if i hurt your feelings.I didn't mean to put words in your mouth.But its like this,either you think the o-line did a good job or they didn't.Can't have it both ways.I would take are o-line and put them against anyones.Its like one guy said on here after the Meigs game,and you can go back and find it.It said please tell me the o-line are all leaving.He was talking about how big the holes were for are backs to run through.I look for them to be a force this next year because they work hard and believe in each other ,and have alot of experience.They all love the weight room.And their all dedicated.They are greattttttt kids to be around.And to all the parents ,i say be proud of them.You have done a great job on raising them to be respectful young men.

OK, I need to apollogize to everyone, I did forget the wide receivers, but it was a total accident, so this week we will go with Linebackers and Wideouts. Again, sorry folks. This subjuect was actually one I was looking forward to because I gotta youngster at that position. Last Season, well it was hard to tell how important wideouts were to our offense, dont get me wrong Watson had a nice season, I just thought with all the one-on-one matchups we had we could have taken advantage of that, not my call and I know that and I respect all coaching desicions. This year we got speedster, Corvette, coming back, along with Brewster, Thompson (I think) and 'Lil' Bell. I know we kicked around the ideas of Carson maybe play a little wideout, I was even talked to about the idea of Moser playing wideout if Rogers could take over at QB (not trying to start anything there). If memory serves me right, I think Corvette and Brewster both run on the track team and that interfere with spring practice, so this will give a chance to everyone else to "STEP UP!" Anyway, again folks, sorry about my forgetfulness (is that a word). GO CHIEFS!!!

The receivers, I think this is the area on the offense that has the most question marks. There is no telling who may end up in these 2 spots. For one they need to be able to block in the open field. And of course they need to be able to catch the ball. With corvette & Carson you have some speed but not much size. Where we have some size there is not much speed. Helms may be interesting here, don't know how his leg will be he had a pretty bad injury. I think you hit on something here Dumdum. We talked about the possabilty of having 3 to 4 kids fighting for the QB spot, if certain kids come out. I would think if this happens whoever does'nt get that job could end up pushing for reciever positions. Its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. This i do know are passing game needs to improve. We talked about this when we were discussing the QB's. For this to happen the reciever's are very important. Gotta be able to get open and run good routes, and must catch the ball when it gets there. And like I said earlier need to be a good blocker. May also be some young kids push for time?

I agree. It seemed to me also that every blitzer drifted to the middle,causing them to be blocked or shielded from the running back. I can see that on a pass play,but when a team is running off tackle as well as most did against us,it is way more important to hold your position. Again,I blame our youth and inexperience for this. Recognition and reaction go hand in hand,and we had to little of both. Seeing the play develop in front of you and reacting quickly is a big part experience and instinct. Know the keys. Study film,see if a guard pulls,or the tackle blocks down,or if a back leans before the play starts. A lot of this comes from experience. I,too,believe improved D-line play will help the 'backers,and the defense as a whole.

I agree with you guys. We need to do a better job when we blitz. I don't know if it was the blitz packages or the kids doing the wrong things, but the results were'nt that good. I also agree good Dline play will help the backers, but in the 3-5 the backers are going to have to learn to get off blockers. I don't know if we will stay with this defense or not. But if we do the linebackers are going to have to really step it up, because this defense is centered around those 5 linebackers and they have to play huge to stop the run.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the banquet last night.I thought it was great.Whats your thoughts.

THE CHICKEN was awesome, I thought the videos were great, the guest speakers were hitting the points the should have, the awards went to the deserving players they should have, some interesting facts were threw out last night that I didnt know for example, the fact that Moser played with two fracture collar bones at the the end of the season, he's a warrior! Did not realize that Bell was the only lineman to play a position his position for the whole season. We now know who rolled Coach Summeys yard! GO CHIEFS!!!

THE CHICKEN was awesome, I thought the videos were great, the guest speakers were hitting the points the should have, the awards went to the deserving players they should have, some interesting facts were threw out last night that I didnt know for example, the fact that Moser played with two fracture collar bones at the the end of the season, he's a warrior! Did not realize that Bell was the only lineman to play a position his position for the whole season. We now know who rolled Coach Summeys yard! GO CHIEFS!!!

From what I heard on Moser it was the last 5 or 6 games he played with those injuries. Thats a good word you used "Warrior". Gotta give that kid some credit for being tough.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the banquet last night.I thought it was great.Whats your thoughts.

Thought it was great /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Good job MR. Peels for putting it all together

I don't even think the SLOBBER could find a negitive about it.

But he will SLOBBER and I could be wrong.

From what I heard on Moser it was the last 5 or 6 games he played with those injuries. Thats a good word you used "Warrior". Gotta give that kid some credit for being tough.

Definitely a tough guy! Makes you wonder what he could have done healthy. Myself,I thought he had a great season. Good job on the banquet. Really enjoyed it,coach Quarles was awesome,also very complimentary to coach Summey and the boys. Good challenge to the team and coaches,it's there if you want it bad enough. Sure seems like a long time to spring practice. GO CHIEFS!

Well, not a whole lot to talk on the linebackers, so lets move it to the defensive line, the loss of Moore to injury last season kinda hurt. This seems to be one of our biggest problems here, our defensive line, well just doesnt seem like they know how to play mean and nasty. I'll let everyone else run with this one, once again the floor is open. GO CHIEFS!!!

Thought it was great

Good job MR. Peels for putting it all together

I don't even think the SLOBBER could find a negitive about it.

But he will SLOBBER and I could be wrong.

Two negatives how many awards can one player receive. And I really liked the my Dad's a coach award that was gave to John Ray.

And as far as the D-Line goes maybe with another year under his belt Coach Sanders can get these guys ready to make an impact. We need these guys in order to free up our linebackers.