Sequoyah Football

warchief

I think that it is a combination of everything mentioned. I think that it is parents that are either on the field or that are trying to do too much on their own around the fieldhouse to make sure that their kid starts over someone elses kid. What is really sad is that there is still no stability in the football program.

The same hounds that toook down Summey will shortly turn their attention to Gregory. Hope he has his back side covered. SQHS worked long and hard to whoo Summey then they dumped him. Good things just are not allowed in Monroe Cty. Parents and kids make the rules here. Summey was the HEAD coach and he was good at playing the BOSS to bad others cant handle that. Oh MY FEELINGS!!!! TOOOOOO many cheifs and not enough indians. Some of us will try hard to watch your back Gregory.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who will have the back of the next head coach for lady chiefs basketball, men chiefs basketbal, and baseball? Got to be something major going on outside of Sequoyah athletics to cause so many casualties among the coaching ranks! I mean girls head basketball is now what, number nine? How many baseball coaches and football coaches have they run through/over?

The parents are running the show that is why we can't get any consistency, the moment they start to lose control they just cut somebody loose. This is also a big reason we have not been successful and will not be successful.

Are there player's parents on the coaching staff at SHS? If so, how many? Are they paid assts or volunteers? Are they part of the problem with the football program? All the effort last spring to seek out a coach like Summey and "poof" he is gone. How does Coach Gregory fit into the situation? I know he was a highly successful coach before he came to SHS. I bet Holliway is somewhere thinking, "I told you so".

The same hounds that toook down Summey will shortly turn their attention to Gregory. Hope he has his back side covered. SQHS worked long and hard to whoo Summey then they dumped him. Good things just are not allowed in Monroe Cty. Parents and kids make the rules here. Summey was the HEAD coach and he was good at playing the BOSS to bad others cant handle that. Oh MY FEELINGS!!!! TOOOOOO many cheifs and not enough indians. Some of us will try hard to watch your back Gregory.

I don't post much anymore but lurk often. I can't believe some of the misinformation, and out right lies that get posted on here from time to time. I have direct access to information on oak grove. I can tell you plain and simple Mr Summey's wounds were self inflicted, there was no conspiracy, it could have all been avoided. If you handle situations correctly there is no need to watch anyones back. Or cover your rear end. Some of you know it alls should just give Gregory a call, I think he will give you a straight story. If you have ever dealt with him he is a straight shooter. Summey was not wooed. It was a political hire plain and simple. There were a small group of people that pulled strings that got him hired(they rang the phones off the hook at oak grove). Truth is he was wayyyyyyyy down the list of most of those that were involved. That order (to hire)came from board members and the top. Political all the way. Not based on credentials in any form or fashion. Untill those things change in Monore County. You will continue to get the same.

I don't post much anymore but lurk often. I can't believe some of the misinformation, and out right lies that get posted on here from time to time. I have direct access to information on oak grove. I can tell you plain and simple Mr Summey's wounds were self inflicted, there was no conspiracy, it could have all been avoided. If you handle situations correctly there is no need to watch anyones back. Or cover your rear end. Some of you know it alls should just give Gregory a call, I think he will give you a straight story. If you have ever dealt with him he is a straight shooter. Summey was not wooed. It was a political hire plain and simple. There were a small group of people that pulled strings that got him hired(they rang the phones off the hook at oak grove). Truth is he was wayyyyyyyy down the list of most of those that were involved. That order (to hire)came from board members and the top. Political all the way. Not based on credentials in any form or fashion. Untill those things change in Monore County. You will continue to get the same.

I agree 100% with everything in your post. From what Ive heard, Gregory is very football minded and will correct most of the problems that have recently came up. The other problems will correct themselves in another year and then well be up, up, and away. GO CHIEFS!

So I guess that what Red Chief is saying is that Principle Moser will be the next casualty being as how he has fired someone that is "politically connected"? Yet that still doesn't address why it is so difficult to keep coaches for Sequoyah athletics or teachers for education. Last account was several educators (around 14) have gone. Do the parents try to run the educational program as well as the athletic program? I'm not buying that Summey was a political hire. I am buying that some athletic $$$$ contributors have their hands in way too many of the Sequoyah athletic program from football to baseball to both basketball teams. What about the kids that don't belong to the big contributors do they complain about the positions they get to play? Or is the majority of the complaining only coming from parent's who have the all-star performer?

So I guess that what Red Chief is saying is that Principle Moser will be the next casualty being as how he has fired someone that is "politically connected"? Yet that still doesn't address why it is so difficult to keep coaches for Sequoyah athletics or teachers for education. Last account was several educators (around 14) have gone. Do the parents try to run the educational program as well as the athletic program? I'm not buying that Summey was a political hire. I am buying that some athletic $$$$ contributors have their hands in way too many of the Sequoyah athletic program from football to baseball to both basketball teams. What about the kids that don't belong to the big contributors do they complain about the positions they get to play? Or is the majority of the complaining only coming from parent's who have the all-star performer?

I never in any way said that the principal would be next. The okay to terminate Mr Summey came from the top and board members. You don't believe Summey was a political hire?????? That is hilarious. I am sorry to say but that statement alone discredits about anything you "think" you may know about the situation. Athletic contributors???? Again that is comical. Call Gregory and ask him who contributors,( I bet he would like to have a few) I am sure he would gladly show you his books. To my knowledge the problems were not over playing time or position. In fact the complaints were from parents of kids all of whom were starters and that number was into two digits. It sounds to me that you are either listening to Mr Summey only, reading the Buzz, or you may in fact other issues I don't know, but none of what you posted is even close to the real situation.

YOU NEED TO CHECK HIS CREDENTIALS!!!!!!

Who will have the back of the next head coach for lady chiefs basketball, men chiefs basketbal, and baseball? Got to be something major going on outside of Sequoyah athletics to cause so many casualties among the coaching ranks! I mean girls head basketball is now what, number nine? How many baseball coaches and football coaches have they run through/over?

As for Baseball coach K. is only the 2nd coach they have had. The other was coach Sharp, he was there for 12 years. Boys Basketball has not had that many., coach Hull was the head man for several years. He steped down so they had to replace him. Girls Basketball has had several as has football. This problem is all over this county. Tellico has had several coaches in football, Boys basketball and baseball. Sweetwater has also had their share in football (3), Basketball, and Baseball. The biggest problem is that this county is not willing to pay what it will take to get good coaches or to be able to keep a good coach. The next problem is the ones at the top who are doing the hireing. Coach Summey is a good example of this. Here is a man who was a Head coach for only 2 years ( in which he had a losing record) back in the early eighties. He had'nt coached football at all for over 15 years. Now he was given the job over 3 other coaches who all had winning records, over 20 years experiance each, and 2 of them had won a state title. Now you say that was not political.

Never stated that the hiring process was not political. Statement was that principal had fired someone that was politically connected, so I figure that he ruffled a few feathers. Yep the pay for the job is not good for the coaches or the teachers and this county loses it's fair share of good people to school systems that offer higher pay. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see all county schools be succesful, but the kids have got to commit to making themselves winners. Each person that improves makes the team as a whole improve. It takes the mentality that "I" must get better, then and only then doe "We" begin to get better.....

As for Baseball coach K. is only the 2nd coach they have had. The other was coach Sharp, he was there for 12 years. Boys Basketball has not had that many., coach Hull was the head man for several years. He steped down so they had to replace him. Girls Basketball has had several as has football. This problem is all over this county. Tellico has had several coaches in football, Boys basketball and baseball. Sweetwater has also had their share in football (3), Basketball, and Baseball. The biggest problem is that this county is not willing to pay what it will take to get good coaches or to be able to keep a good coach. The next problem is the ones at the top who are doing the hireing. Coach Summey is a good example of this. Here is a man who was a Head coach for only 2 years ( in which he had a losing record) back in the early eighties. He had'nt coached football at all for over 15 years. Now he was given the job over 3 other coaches who all had winning records, over 20 years experiance each, and 2 of them had won a state title. Now you say that was not political.

Well I guess that you could say that pretty much "checks his credentials" /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Are there player's parents on the coaching staff at SHS? If so, how many? Are they paid assts or volunteers? Are they part of the problem with the football program? All the effort last spring to seek out a coach like Summey and "poof" he is gone. How does Coach Gregory fit into the situation? I know he was a highly successful coach before he came to SHS. I bet Holliway is somewhere thinking, "I told you so".

Yes we have two Dads and one uncle on the volunteer coaching staff that I bet were leaders in this decision. I would like to see that change and now would be a good time to make it happen. I am not sure about Gregory is he definitely the guy or not. If he is the guy it certainly is not a good way to start out.