Sequoyah Football

warchief

OK, I'll bite, I'm not that bright, (the name gives it away), but your point being? Yeah the teams were not exactly even, the white team was loaded pretty good and the game went kinda like I thought it would, kids had fun with it and spring practice concluded. Did anybody read the "Sweetwater-Sequoyah" article in the paper? I didnt agree with some of things said in the article but everyone has a opinion. Does anyone know when the dead peiod is? GO CHIEFS!!!

the week before the fourth of july and the week after. The lineman camp at UNA will be June 28-30.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody who really thinks that Sequayah's running game is good enough to win consistently in this region is unrealistic. No team runs the ball better than Polk County and they have nice passing game. But Sequaoyah is not in the same class running the football with other teams in the region. Most notable are Howard, Central, Polk and Meigs. If all you can do is run the double-wing package, most teams will put 9 in the box and dare you to throw. Like all run-dominated offenses, the Chiefs will have to avoid 2nd and 3rd down situations with long yardage.

Last year, the passing game relied on screens, slants and outs. There were not many attempts down-field. The double-wing does avails itself to a West Coast type passing game without a change in the formation. Defenses will have to at least "respect" Sequoyah's passing attack or the results out of Madisionville will not get any better.

the week before the fourth of july and the week after. The lineman camp at UNA will be June 28-30.

Thanks Doc, and will some one text me and tell me who slobber is, GEEZE, I just want to make sense of all of this. I gotta problem with "PA"ing GO CHIEFS!!!!

Thanks Doc, and will some one text me and tell me who slobber is, GEEZE, I just want to make sense of all of this. I gotta problem with "PA"ing GO CHIEFS!!!!

Anybody who really thinks that Sequayah's running game is good enough to win consistently in this region is unrealistic. No team runs the ball better than Polk County and they have nice passing game. But Sequaoyah is not in the same class running the football with other teams in the region. Most notable are Howard, Central, Polk and Meigs. If all you can do is run the double-wing package, most teams will put 9 in the box and dare you to throw. Like all run-dominated offenses, the Chiefs will have to avoid 2nd and 3rd down situations with long yardage.

Last year, the passing game relied on screens, slants and outs. There were not many attempts down-field. The double-wing does avails itself to a West Coast type passing game without a change in the formation. Defenses will have to at least "respect" Sequoyah's passing attack or the results out of Madisionville will not get any better.

Thanks, and very well put.

You are intitled to your opinion. I think the numbers tell a different story. I don't have the stats in front of me but I am pretty sure we out rushed Meigs,Polk and Howard. The Central game was early in the season with only one starter back and a new offense. I think we averaged close to 300 yds/gm over the course of the season. The O-Line returns intackt except for one postion and that will be filled by a player that could play all 5 positions last year and you can imagine played a lot. They will average well over 200lbs across with one side going 235, 260. I felt like they pretty much man handled Rhea in our scrimmage, we had only one run play that was for no gain. Rhea has one of there front 3 that has been offered by Duke. I think you have under estimated them some as I hope everyone in Etowah

has.

There is no question our passing game needs to improve. You can run the West Coast out of just about any formation. We are working on it and that is all we can do. We are trying to put our kids into best the postion to make plays based on what they can and can't do. I know there is going to be a big emphasis on the pass game over the summer. I Know we can make people "respect" the pass game I just don't know it we can scare anybody to death either. You just never know a lot can and will happen over the summer.

There is no underestimating of anyone in Etowah. I do not have the stats either but to believe you out-rushed Polk, Meigs and Howard and lost all three games is unbelievable. Plenty can happen over the summer that is for sure. Football season will be here before we know it.

I tell you how, against Howard 6 turnovers, meigs throws long one over our head and runs a interception back for a TD, We gave Polk a short field twice for scores with turnovers. I saw the scrimmage with McMinn last nite. Central was very impressive. Defense was very good. McMinn will struggle in the region they play in.

I tell you how, against Howard 6 turnovers, meigs throws long one over our head and runs a interception back for a TD, We gave Polk a short field twice for scores with turnovers. I saw the scrimmage with McMinn last nite. Central was very impressive. Defense was very good. McMinn will struggle in the region they play in.

It seems to me that the above statement proves the premise about the Sequoyah passing game. If all you do is run, you are going to gain some yards but you aint winning because you are unable to keep defenses honest. The option from the double wing always exposes you to turnovers. If the Chiefs are going to be a contender, then they will have to be able to run against stacked defenses. Back in the early 90's when Marion County was running the split back veer, they had like 5000 yds rushing for the season. That is the kind of running attack it will take at Sequoyah.

Think how much better the Central defense will be Week 3 when the Chargers come to Madisionville!

I think i saw you... Well it was someone from Sequoyah... Was you sitting on Central's side near the top of the bleachers writing on a notepad?

warhorse I don't see how that that proves your point at all? Again we lost those games mainly due to turnovers(most not in the pass game), If I remember correctly you said we would never be able to run the ball with the "BIG 3" then you found it"unbelievable" that we could have out rushed 2 of those and still lost. Again that also somehow proved your point on the Chiefs pass game. If anything it destroys your point that if you can't throw it any better than we did we want be able to run it because they are gonna "load the box" but we did! I already said we need to throw it better than we did last year.

Statistics show that an option team is no more prone to turnovers than any other offense. The option from the double wing is suppose to make you more prone to turnovers "thats pure hogwash". Would you like to substantiate that statement?? We did run it against stacked defenses!!!! Call Martin down at East Ridge and ask him what he thought of our offense at the end of the year? We did 3600 last year. A year older, stronger , and a year in the system, 5000 is not out of the question. I would think 4400 to 4600 is a more realistic goal. Very few teams ever average 500 yard rushing per game!

"Some" of you Central fans are a real humble lot. You might be a lot better by week 3, hopefully you will have no more police problems over the summer.