Marion County

DelTavian

He has left Swain. Long story on his leaving and we certainly felt the effect of it. Had the lowest number of players that we have ever had since he left, and worst start ever. He volunteered at a 3a school in Asheville and they won both the JV and Varsity conference championship there and the varsity went to the state semi finals, farthest they have ever been. Not saying that is all him at all, but where he is seems to have good years.

As far as X and O stuff we have always been a veer team that uses a zillion formations. On D we have multiple 4 fronts and 35 stuff alot too.

Here is an important question that a small school has to consider if they are going to make a hire before the end of the year...

What is this guy certified to teach?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill,

I'm glad that you finally made this post. This is my first, and only, post on this thread. People have expressed interest and have been interviewed. It is non of our business who those people are. Many of them are still actively coaching in one capacity or another at other schools and to reveal their names would be a dis-service to them as well as their respective schools. We must have faith that the administration will review each candidate with current job openings and make the best hire based on current situation. People on here seem to forget that the first and foremost job of a high school coach is that of a teacher. A teaching position has to be vacant and an applicant has to have the right certification to get a job in high school. Maybe higher classifications are different, but at the lower end of AA, coaches still have to teach in the classrooms. The only position that is open at this time at MCHS is a Math position. Unfortunately, not many coaches of any sort are certified in Math. Just the nature of the beast. Positions can't be created just because we need a football coach. We can wish and hope all we want but when the rubber hits the road it all boils down to who is the best coach available with the right certification. I am very confident that Coach Boeck and Mrs. Prince will make the best decision, taking everything in consideration. The thing that we, as fans, must do is to get behind their chosen coach 100% and support him and his staff. For whatever reason, right or wrong, Jason never got the full support of the fans. That wasn't fair to him. Let's not be unfair to the next guy..... Just my $0.02 worth.......

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Here is an important question that a small school has to consider if they are going to make a hire before the end of the year...

What is this guy certified to teach?

Not sure that I totally agree with you there. There was one person in administration a couple of years ago who shall remain nameless, but his name started with R and ended with affo. He said that Pruitt had it pretty good because he didn't have to teach anything. He was at the field house all day and he "taught" weightlifting. So I am not totally sure that just because there is a math position open that they have to hire a coach with a math backgrond. If they want a coach bad enough then they can get him. Call it the Pruitt factor!!

I will agree with you to a point, hooker. I do think that some of the coaches need to be dealt with, but JoDan isn't one of the ones on my list. He has an understanding of football on the field. I think some of the problem is that they kind of ran over Evans last year and overpowered him. It is very important that the new coach that comes in lets the other 'helpers' know where there place is on the team. I think that a new coach will need lots of help, but he needs to be in charge and not the assistants. They were confused at times and looked lost, but that is really the coaches fault. It is his job to get everyone on the same page.

JoDan is one of the coaches that overpowered Jason and he also added to the confusion on the field a lot. These things are exactly what you were referring to. He was a good player, but being a good player doesn't always make you a good coach...just ask Michael Jordan.

Seems to me like you must just have a personal problem with Gudger. If thats the case, you need to contact him personally. I heard he does a decent job. I also heard one of the parents tried to pick a fight with him after the purple-white game. Now thats pretty immature. To know a parent would try to fight a coach over a scrimmage. I also heard that wasn't the first time this parent tried to push a coach into retaliation. I don't know who the head coach will be, but I'm sure he'll make good decisions. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I don't have a personal problem with anyone...don't read too much into things...you have done that a couple of times on this board. And I don't care which parents were stupid enough to pull that crap. We have way too much ignorance running amuck with our young people these days than to have parents who should know better act like a bunch of morons.

My comments about Gudger simply echo what I have seen on the field. He was a good player, but that doesn't make him a good coach...and I think that showed some times this year. I think the new coach would be better off without Gudger and a couple of the other guys.

I understand that we need volunteers to help the program. But, at what time do we decide that the not so good things from the volunteers help drag the program down more than having the volunteers around in the first place?? Sometimes we have to cut the rough edges off in order to create a nice, smooth work of art.

Volhooker, if this is the case and I'm not saying it is then I am with you. However, even in the situation you mentioned that is the problem with having a Head Coach who is so unsure of himself that he doesn't know when to say enough is enough. I admire those guys who put in a hard days work on their regular job and then go out to the field house every evening and put in countless hours with those boys for nothing. I don't think any of them are or were the problem. I believe it a lies with the head coach. Its his responsilbility to make sure that he and his assistants are on the same page and communicating the same things to the boys.

His certification is in social studies and he has taught PE/weightlifting for many years. You may be right in saying that the hire has to meet a job discription, but I personally don't believe that your hire can be "what you need" with those type of restrictions. You can take 99% of your applications and throw them in the trash. In Marion County or anywhere else coaching is teaching, get the best teacher of the game that you can get and let them do the job. Is there not some sort of fund to hire for dropout prevention or ISS etc? That may be a means to an end for ya'll. Best of luck in your search.

It is not for you to know who is being interviewed unless you are part of the process. Obviously, you are not. When a decision is reached it will be posted for everyone to comment on.

Yes, several people have been interviewed. I for one have seen several but names are not going to be discussed until the administration makes a decision. The way it should be handled.

Have a GREAT day!

Well Mr Bill, I quess you are the only one who knows it all and has all the faith in the world in "The Administration" ...

Oh thats right "The administration" is Mrs. Prince and Boeck...HMMMMMMMM Looks like a another hire within or a son in law to me!!!!! and dont forget Joe Dan is ready to do his student teaching. So I guess we have nothing to worry about. Sorry for the trouble.

I was also wondering what math position you are referring to that is available?

Volhooker, if this is the case and I'm not saying it is then I am with you. However, even in the situation you mentioned that is the problem with having a Head Coach who is so unsure of himself that he doesn't know when to say enough is enough. I admire those guys who put in a hard days work on their regular job and then go out to the field house every evening and put in countless hours with those boys for nothing. I don't think any of them are or were the problem. I believe it a lies with the head coach. Its his responsilbility to make sure that he and his assistants are on the same page and communicating the same things to the boys.

Would you not agree that there are some assistants who would not take kindly to the it's my way or the highway bit??

I think sometimes it is better to cut your losses than to keep volunteers around just because you need volunteers.

Especially when those volunteers sometimes seem to be helping the program take large steps backwards from the direction the program needs to be heading.

Well Mr Bill, I quess you are the only one who knows it all (1) No I do not know it all. I believe the right decision will be made by the people who are in charge though. They have time to make a good decision instead of a few weeks like when Jason was hired.

and has all the faith in the world in "The Administration" ...

Oh thats right "The administration" is Mrs. Prince and Boeck...HMMMMMMMM Looks like a another hire within or a son in law to me!!!!! (2) If that is the appropriate decision at this time then so be it. I am not involved in the process so I don't have the answers for you.

and dont forget Joe Dan is ready to do his student teaching. So I guess we have nothing to worry about. Sorry for the trouble. (3) Joe Dan is just like any other young teacher and coach he will do terrific at times and will make mistakes as well. You have to have a strong head coach that can take someone like Joe Dan under his wing and show him the appropriate things to do at the right time.

I was also wondering what math position you are referring to that is available? (4) I have no idea about what positions are available at this time. If you want to know what is open please call 942-3434 and ask what they are.

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Would you not agree that there are some assistants who would not take kindly to the it's my way or the highway bit??

I think sometimes it is better to cut your losses than to keep volunteers around just because you need volunteers.

Especially when those volunteers sometimes seem to be helping the program take large steps backwards from the direction the program needs to be heading.

I do agree with what you are saying, if that is the case. I just don't see any proof that that is this case in this situation. Who says it was the assistants causing the program to take large steps backwards? I don't know what kind of coach any of those guys are or Evans was, but I would question the football IQ of a few of them and that would start with Evans before it would Joe Dan. He was the man in charge therefore if something went wrong he had the final say. When they continually made the same mistakes over and over it was his responsibility to learn from those and make sure that they didn't continue happen, but he didn't and now we are looking for a coach. Joe Dan was an assistant with Pruitt as well and I never heard these complaints then, why now?