Richland at Forrest Nov 24th

auntkim

It was a great game. Richland led the entire game as Anna Bell caught fire early from 3-point range for Richland and Gaby Bussell, who scored Forrest's first six points I believe, got into foul trouble in the first half. Forrest made an adjustment on Bell in the second half, but Glidden stepped up and hit some big shots down the stretch. Forrest was by far the deeper of the two teams, but Richland's big four were too much to overcome. The score could have been worse, but Duke missed a lot of little chip shots around the rim. Forrest struggled from 3-point range, especially Young, who was something like 1 for 8 (possibly more; it was hard to keep count in my head) from long range. Beth Hawn was especially impressive tonight. Her height and length allowed her to really do what she wanted around the basket. She ran the floor extremely well and had Forrest's guards had their heads up, she could have easily had two or three fast break layups there in the second half.

One last thing: Richland's coach really needs to be a little more calm on the sidelines. I think he gets so wound up during the games that it affects his team's play. The more riled up he gets, the more spastic and wound up his girls seem to get. It didn't hurt his team too much tonight, but in tournament play (and I thought this same thing last year when they lost to Summertown in the Region 6A Tournament), he is going to have to be more calm and settled if he expects his players to play that way in big game situations.

How many games have you coached? The truth is the more wound up he gets the harder they play. I really think you have to credit Forrest with what you described as spastic.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many games have you coached? The truth is the more wound up he gets the harder they play. I really think you have to credit Forrest with what you described as spastic.

More than my share and it was just an observation. All girls respond differently. It is just the times that I have seen this team play, the more upset and/or riled up he gets, the more worked up they get, which leads to turnovers and fouls. For some players it can be a positive (seems to be that way for Glidden) but for the rest, it can do more harm then good. I think that in order for his team to get past Region and past Sub-State, and this year is their best chance to do so, calm would do more good then wound up. But he knows his team better then I do, I was merely pointing out what I have observed over the past couple of years.

As the season progresses every year ( for the last 2 years anyway) , it seems like Forrest starts off slow, makes necessary adjustments, and shines during postseason. Guess we will wait and peak at the best time, must be doing something right /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Darn I wish I knew you were there pt12, I would have "scoped" the crowd to guess who was you!! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

He/she knows more about girls basketball than anybody I know. I'm talking about ptguard12. You do a great job with your rankings and your posts. It would be nice to meet them someday.

I thought you were talking about me!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Just kidding (obviously) I agree about pt12, would be nice to meet "them".....

Great game!! Richland was able to free up #4 a lot early on. She buried every three she looked at. #24 ran the show the entire night. My only concern about this team is foul trouble. According to the box score, only 4 girls scored. If they get in foul trouble it may be slim pickings for the rest.

As for Forrest, #25 stole the show early, then turned the reigns over to #24. The Lady Rockets couldn't hit an outside shot until late. They had plenty of good looks they just couldn't hit them. They have a lot of potential and so many players off the bench. They could probably field two teams that could both compete for a gold ball.

Coaching, Player attitude, and No Bench will doom Richland just as it did last year. Players playing out of position, freshmen starting over juniors, lawsuits, and a coach who only cares about the number of wins he gets over time: This all spells 1 and out of the Region 6 Tournament. Good luck to the Richland girls. You play hard. Sorry we took your coach, you know, the one that would have developed a bench. Can't wait for you to come to C'Town up 31A.

Coaching, Player attitude, and No Bench will doom Richland just as it did last year. Players playing out of position, freshmen starting over juniors, lawsuits, and a coach who only cares about the number of wins he gets over time: This all spells 1 and out of the Region 6 Tournament. Good luck to the Richland girls. You play hard. Sorry we took your coach, you know, the one that would have developed a bench. Can't wait for you to come to C'Town up 31A.

Ok ok...I understand the out of position, the freshman thing, and the coach's wins; however, the lawsuits are confusing. They don't play as tough of a schedule as the other state contenders which will cost them in experience. The hard play will give way to possible egos that most have. The coaching thing is a matter of opinion however I do think "C'Town" did get the better deal. It will be another great matchup of Hi-way 129. Good Luck to all!!