What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

Although JCS , moved to AA last season the year before they won the title in A against FCS who has been a A power house for a few years now , both of which are private. Grace christian in K-Ville has had a program for only 4 years and has made the playoffs the last 2 and will again next year , not to mention they had a state champion middle school team. IN LESS THAN 4 YEARS. They should split em or the multiplier should be higher. Alcoa is the only public school in AA that could beat Goodpasture , CAK could beatem no wait they're private.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although JCS , moved to AA last season the year before they won the title in A against FCS who has been a A power house for a few years now , both of which are private. Grace christian in K-Ville has had a program for only 4 years and has made the playoffs the last 2 and will again next year , not to mention they had a state champion middle school team. IN LESS THAN 4 YEARS. They should split em or the multiplier should be higher. Alcoa is the only public school in AA that could beat Goodpasture , CAK could beatem no wait they're private.

It's interesting to me also that in 5A, Ravenwood managed to win a 5A title in just its 4th year of existence, and 3rd year of football, and played for another title the following year. Independence, another Williamson County team, made it to the championship game in its 4th year of existence also. We aren't talking middle school here. This is the highest classification possible in TN.

It's interesting to me also that in 5A, Ravenwood managed to win a 5A title in just its 4th year of existence, and 3rd year of football, and played for another title the following year. Independence, another Williamson County team, made it to the championship game in its 4th year of existence also. We aren't talking middle school here. This is the highest classification possible in TN.

Thats 5A , it's supposed to be easier to get athletes and solid fascilities quicker when you have 2,000 students. Show me a public school with less than 200 students (like grace) that has built solid programs in BOTH football and basketball in that small amount of time.

Very good post now argue or make fun of that why don't you reaction? This quote is coming from C.Flatt who as we all know is a very respected coach! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

C. Flatt, the guy who started all of this and the guy who NEVER coached at a non-aid private. Believe me when I tell you that none of us who coach at small privates consider him a very informed source. Certainly elite preps have a lot of advantages. But they are NOT in any way like small religious privates except for the fact that neither group is public. It's like uneducated Americans comparing the French and the Germans and saying "Well, they must be alike, they are all Europeans". Don't let any French or German guys hear you say that...

Hey stupid did i mention RBS in my last post? I could care less if RBS wins or loses they were merely an example like i said. Your posts are redundant and have little or no meaning most of the time. You're obviously from a private school system that is one of those "exceptions" to the rule for privates as this school rarely competes at anything except football. So i can understand why you are trying your best to belittle everyone else on here and make fun of what is meant for discussion. Bottom line is we'll find out soon enough if they re-classify the privates into one sector which is what should be done! Yeah i say kick the privates out that way you take care of the situations like you had at Temple last year with the football program and the whole "Skogen" incident. What a joke that was!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Are you implying that kicking the small privates out will end all TSSAA rulebreaking?

Or is it that only privates break rules?

I guess I missed your reasoning...or maybe its just I couldn't see how it was reasonable.

Alcoa is NOT the only public high school in 2aa for the last several years that could have beaten GP. 3 years ago Tyner was the closest game Alcoa played all year, including the championship. 2 years ago Smith Cnty was the closest that Alcoa played...again a public. Either of them and you could probably throw Loudon in could have beaten GP (not saying would have, could have). You mention Grace making the playoffs...with 4 teams going you really don't have to be very good to do that, do you? Especially if your region only has 6 or 7 teams.

But I appreciate you mentioning Alcoa. After all, with all the advantages the small privates have NONE of them have EVER had the kind of run Alcoa is having, EVER. Now, you would expect at least 1 to be equal, since they have soooo many advantages over the publics...

Thats 5A , it's supposed to be easier to get athletes and solid fascilities quicker when you have 2,000 students. Show me a public school with less than 200 students (like grace) that has built solid programs in BOTH football and basketball in that small amount of time.

What a load. You are saying it is easier to take a new program to the highest level of performance in the state than it is to take a small program to a mid-level of performance??

We aren't talking about Grace WINNING 1a, we are talking about them not being at the bottom of their REGION. The 5a schools mentioned WON 5A!!

I tell you what, in 4 years let's look at the new 1a/2a school opening on Signal Mountain here in the 'nooga...betcha they make the playoffs...and against 3 of those dreaded small privates too.

What a load. You are saying it is easier to take a new program to the highest level of performance in the state than it is to take a small program to a mid-level of performance??

We aren't talking about Grace WINNING 1a, we are talking about them not being at the bottom of their REGION. The 5a schools mentioned WON 5A!!

I tell you what, in 4 years let's look at the new 1a/2a school opening on Signal Mountain here in the 'nooga...betcha they make the playoffs...and against 3 of those dreaded small privates too.

I'm not saying it is EASY , I'm saying it would be EASIER when you have 1,000 boys to choose from versus 100 to pick from. I don't think it is easier to win 5A than 1A or vice versa. I think it is easier to quickly build a respectable program when you have the student body and resources that a 5A school would have. Unless of course you get to pick what students you want or don't want in your school.

I'm not saying it is EASY , I'm saying it would be EASIER when you have 1,000 boys to choose from versus 100 to pick from. I don't think it is easier to win 5A than 1A or vice versa. I think it is easier to quickly build a respectable program when you have the student body and resources that a 5A school would have. Unless of course you get to pick what students you want or don't want in your school.

Let me reiterate. Grace made the playoffs in 4 years. The public mentioned WON 5a...won the championship. I don't care how much easier it is to get respectable (although I think that is completely false...sure you have a thousand kids, and so does everyone you play) at one level or another, winning it all is something completely different than not being in last place.

Again, no private is as good as the best publics. The records are clear. No private has ever started a Football program and won their division's title in 4 years. But somehow the small privates are sooo much better than the publics that they need to be split off??

Here is my challenge once again. Name the advantage that all privates have that no publics have that can't be overcome. And if whatever it is you name is so amazing, how is it that the best schools in the state at every level are public?

Let me reiterate. Grace made the playoffs in 4 years. The public mentioned WON 5a...won the championship. I don't care how much easier it is to get respectable (although I think that is completely false...sure you have a thousand kids, and so does everyone you play) at one level or another, winning it all is something completely different than not being in last place.

Again, no private is as good as the best publics. The records are clear. No private has ever started a Football program and won their division's title in 4 years. But somehow the small privates are sooo much better than the publics that they need to be split off??

Here is my challenge once again. Name the advantage that all privates have that no publics have that can't be overcome. And if whatever it is you name is so amazing, how is it that the best schools in the state at every level are public?

It has been posted many times. Heck...any school CAN overcome any situation once in a century.

Baldcoach your question is complex. I do not think that the best school at every level in the state is public as you stated. But I see your reasoning on the 5A schools that come in and have the quick ability to do well. First, I think that usually the 5A western bracket (that includes the schools gaining quick attention) is an easier path in the playoffs. The eastern bracket has Murfreesboro, Chattanooga, Knoxville, etc while the west has Memphis and Williamson County. The East bracket wins most of the time because it has about double the amount of solid teams. Second, Williamson County is probably the best area to be a new team to be born because parental involvement and money help; no denying that and no county in the state can come close to what Williamson has in the way of money and people that have money. Williamson County is the closest thing to a public being private that there is. This being the reason that Ravenwood, etc. can rise to a high level so fast.