What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

Old Pirate says they never want to address the reasons they wish to remain in the public sector.

Old Pirate says take Chatt area for instance.

Privates Baylor, McCallie, Notre Dame, Chatt. Christian, Grace, Tn. Temple, David Brainard Baptist, Silverdale Baptist & Boyd Bucannan. There is a reason all don't play against each regularly and its "not" because of travel costs. "ADVANTAGE".................................... my friend. OP says every year teams have certain advantages, whether it be veteran vs young or any number of other possabilties. Those are ones acceptable by all.

OP,

Your facts are incorrect. We do play each other...unless we are in different classifications, and then we still do sometimes.

The schools you mentioned are in DII Super 7, D1 a, D1aa, And D1aaa. 2 have not had TSSAA varsity Football teams yet. So out of 11 teams mentioned you managed to have 5 different classifications. It's like saying Riverdale, Maryville, Fulton, Milan, and Gordonsville dont play each other...of course they don't, they are all in different classes.

But, then again, maybe those schools DO play each other. Let's take a look...

We played Baylor 4 years running even though they are DII and 3 times our size. Baylor always plays McCallie. Grace played us this year and will play us next. Grace, Silverdale, and Temple play each other EVERY year (becuase they are actually in the same classification). We played CCHS in a JV game last year and so did most of the other teams mentioned (they don't have a varsity yet).

Seems to me like we are playing the heck out of each other. Mostly because the Publics in the aread as a rule won't play us anymore (with the notable exception of the Pirates...Vic has never been afraid to play privates because he is a good coach and has a good program and knows that everyone has certain advantages and disadvantages and the goal of sports is to overcome, not overcomplain).

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP,

Your facts are incorrect. We do play each other...unless we are in different classifications, and then we still do sometimes.

The schools you mentioned are in DII Super 7, D1 a, D1aa, And D1aaa. 2 have not had TSSAA varsity Football teams yet. So out of 11 teams mentioned you managed to have 5 different classifications. It's like saying Riverdale, Maryville, Fulton, Milan, and Gordonsville dont play each other...of course they don't, they are all in different classes.

But, then again, maybe those schools DO play each other. Let's take a look...

We played Baylor 4 years running even though they are DII and 3 times our size. Baylor always plays McCallie. Grace played us this year and will play us next. Grace, Silverdale, and Temple play each other EVERY year (becuase they are actually in the same classification). We played CCHS in a JV game last year and so did most of the other teams mentioned (they don't have a varsity yet).

Seems to me like we are playing the heck out of each other. Mostly because the Publics in the aread as a rule won't play us anymore (with the notable exception of the Pirates...Vic has never been afraid to play privates because he is a good coach and has a good program and knows that everyone has certain advantages and disadvantages and the goal of sports is to overcome, not overcomplain).

Old Pirate says we finally partially agree on something....... BC. The point OP was attempting to make is an advantage issue that teams have over one another from time to time. OP knew BB played Baylor several times in recent years, but most think BB is at a disadvantage playing teams like Baylor every year as part of their normal schedule. The same would hold true with the small publics with a decided disadvantage against the privates that have the decided (unnamed) advantage. We can agree to disagree. OP says not all programs will accept the challenge playing a BB or SP unless made. We both have programs that each are deservingly proud of. The point this OP and others is the belief (arguable) that the privates having the kids coming from various counties, states and etc and (some, OP don't know about all) offer scholarships or incentives other than the opportunity to play a certain sport. You "never" hear of a supporter of a prospective school checking on a scholar student who does not have an athletic promise. We all know how important athletics is to a school. The same is true in the college ranks. South Pittsburg and Jasper are great examples of community pride (something privates have a hard time understanding). The success or struggles of each team is reflected in the whole community, not just the school.

Old Pirate once heard of Don Grider making the remark, "he had only 1 player transfer into his program that made a huge impact. The privates or publics only need 1 or 2 players that can immediately strongly impact a teams success. The public schools usually have the home grown variety and don't have players from various counties and states. Yeh, OP knows.................................... some will say, oh.. SP has players from Ala. or other parts of the county. (Example: Sam Picket grew up in Whitwell (father lived) and SP but he went to SP since elementary) Well kids sometime come from broken homes and live with parents in different communities from time to time, it's joint custody issues.

Old Pirate,

You are entitled to your opinion. You are even entitled to address yourself in the third person if you want.

But if some private school supporter was to get of here and take shots like you - "South Pittsburg and Jasper are great examples of community pride (something privates have a hard time understanding)." - you would be all over them and rightfully so. Is that really necessary?

BTW, you criticize private schools - "The Chatt privates not only have the advantage of "all" the middle schools surrounding Chatt, but also routinely dip into North Ga. and its various counties." and then you post "Yeh, OP knows.................................... oh SP has players from Ala. or other parts of the county. (Example: Sam Picket grew up in Whitwell (father lived) and SP but he went to SP since elementary) Well kids sometime come from broken homes and live with parents in different communities from time to time, it's joint custody issues." So, it is OK if South Pitt does it but not OK if a private school does it.

OP should not wonder why Bighurt does not put much stock in his posts. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

JMHO

OP, I have stayed out of this debate for awhile now because it became a bit monotonous, the posts redundant. But I still look in occasionally, and here I have to agree with Bighurt (with whom I do not always agree). Whatever credible points you may make are lost in your excessively broad and accusatory generalizations about private schools. You may have some particular example of something with some particular private school, but I'm not sure what basis you have for extrapolating into a generalized critique of all private schools. The debate becomes near impossible, because those who disagree with you find themselves trying to respond to baseless accusations instead of addressing real underlying issues. You make some broadside accusation with no facts to support it, then those who disagree with the conclusions you reach are left trying to disprove something that could not be proved in the first place. I suspect that's why brbb (with whom I also do not always agree) appears to find the exchanges with you so frustrating. You're judging a lot of books by their covers.

OP, I have stayed out of this debate for awhile now because it became a bit monotonous, the posts redundant. But I still look in occasionally, and here I have to agree with Bighurt (with whom I do not always agree). Whatever credible points you may make are lost in your excessively broad and accusatory generalizations about private schools. You may have some particular example of something with some particular private school, but I'm not sure what basis you have for extrapolating into a generalized critique of all private schools. The debate becomes near impossible, because those who disagree with you find themselves trying to respond to baseless accusations instead of addressing real underlying issues. You make some broadside accusation with no facts to support it, then those who disagree with the conclusions you reach are left trying to disprove something that could not be proved in the first place. I suspect that's why brbb (with whom I also do not always agree) appears to find the exchanges with you so frustrating. You're judging a lot of books by their covers.

Old Pirate says rick7425, just attempting to head some folks off before they bring up the fact that SP does not have players that live and play right in SP. the city limits reach 2 miles north & south and less to the east. The county is open to all to go where ever they choose. So.Pitt also has another K-12 school in Richard Hardy. So.Pitt also has the Ala. state line 2 miles from the school. The vast number come walking distance from the school, SP is a rural town. 1 example, Some have stated/suggested Terrell Robinson (up and coming QB) lived in Ala. His father (custody) lives in SP (1 block) from the Ala. line and mother probably in Chatt? His grand parents live in neighboring Bridgeport Ala. where he stays occasionally. OP figured someone would bring this type of thing up.

Again.......................................... never has OP stated "ALL" privates. OP having and having had family on both sides know this will always be debated.

Old Pirate says back................ before all the privates this wasn't a problem. Who has the answer?.... not this old Pirate. Sorry there BigHurt, OP seems to talk to himself more and more all the time. Patience if never a bad trait to have. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

OP hopes everyone has a great ..... Easter.

Old Pirate,

You are entitled to your opinion. You are even entitled to address yourself in the third person if you want.

But if some private school supporter was to get of here and take shots like you - "South Pittsburg and Jasper are great examples of community pride (something privates have a hard time understanding)." - you would be all over them and rightfully so. Is that really necessary?

BTW, you criticize private schools - "The Chatt privates not only have the advantage of "all" the middle schools surrounding Chatt, but also routinely dip into North Ga. and its various counties." and then you post "Yeh, OP knows.................................... oh SP has players from Ala. or other parts of the county. (Example: Sam Picket grew up in Whitwell (father lived) and SP but he went to SP since elementary) Well kids sometime come from broken homes and live with parents in different communities from time to time, it's joint custody issues." So, it is OK if South Pitt does it but not OK if a private school does it.

OP should not wonder why Bighurt does not put much stock in his posts. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

JMHO

Old Pirate is simply stating an observation. Example, BB is right next to Brainard High and most don't (if any) walk to school. Folks from small communities pass each other on the streets, at the city hall and numerous other functions. This type of community pride is what this OP is talking about. With so..... many schools so close it's difficult to generate the same community type atmosphere. BigHurt, lighten up on this OP, OP is starting to think you don't like him. Have a great Easter. OP has to to go now with the wife to find some easter baskets for the youngons.

Old Pirate is simply stating an observation. Example, BB is right next to Brainard High and most (any) walk to school. Folks from small communities pass each other on the streets, at the city hall and numerous other functions. This type of community pride is what this OP is talking about. With so..... many schools so close it's difficult to generate the same community type atmosphere. BigHurt, lighten up on this OP, OP is starting to think you don't like him. Have a great Easter. OP has to to go now with the wife to find some easter baskets for the youngons.

OK. You are correct. I probably do need to lighten up. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Thanks for the Easter wishes. I plan on having a great day. I hope you and yours have a great Easter also.

You did have some very good scrimmages with each other. Riverdale would have won some...and you would have won some...just like the scrimmages.

Don't base too much on TC beating RBS that bad. Friendship beat them just about as bad too. Have you ever seen RBS play? They are a little better now...but they have been very bad at times. TC would have had to punt on 1st down to avoid that score. Satterfield asked RBS's coach to run the clock in the 2nd half. He refused. That game has been hashed and reshashed on this site over and over. I have much more trouble with Ezell's run up over Loretto to set a passing record. There is more to the story in TC's case. That's not to say it shouldn't have happened. Just don't use that as an example in this case.

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Maybe he would be better off using the yr TC. dropped 73 on Ezell & 84 on Knox Cath.

These were the 1st two rounds in post season play. Then DCA put it on us...

with all these questions about private schools does this help prove that private schools and public schools are on an unequal playing ground with the privates having a distinct advantage over the publics my question is this why not make them play up in triple A would this not make since I mean they beat a strong contender in Triple A year after year they compete for a state championship like last year CAK farragut played to a 1-0 farragut win so i think the privates would have better compittion going up a level and then it gives the small publics a chance that they obvioulsy don't have i mean the whole state championship in two A is privates for both boys and girls does anyone agree opr disagree?

with all these questions about private schools does this help prove that private schools and public schools are on an unequal playing ground with the privates having a distinct advantage over the publics my question is this why not make them play up in triple A would this not make since I mean they beat a strong contender in Triple A year after year they compete for a state championship like last year CAK farragut played to a 1-0 farragut win so i think the privates would have better compittion going up a level and then it gives the small publics a chance that they obvioulsy don't have i mean the whole state championship in two A is privates for both boys and girls does anyone agree opr disagree?

Ref, call a time out, and throw a period, comma, etc. in your

posts. One long sentence makes for difficult reading.

Thanks