What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

Laz,

That is what I thought you would say. Thanks for responding.

There are many, many public schools that want a full split.

Dropping the multiplier will only increase the debate and

potential action to create a split -- in my opinion.

I think you are genius - and I'm not being facetious. I think Ronnie's comments are meant to serve the purpose of bringing the subject up for major discussion. 2A public schools want the privates gone, 1A public schools don't want them back, and 3A schools are tired of Lipscomb and Notre Dame. That's roughly 60% (3 out of 5 classes) that most defintely don't want the privates. I think we very well may see a complete split and lawsuits galore in the near future. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that the NFHS (not the NHFS) recognizes only one association per state is irrelevant when it comes to scheduling regular season contests. Your assertion that "By rule...publics could not play privates if they secede...at all" is wrong. Article IV, Section 1 of the TSSAA bylaws states, "A member of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is permitted to play or scrimmage any secondary school team with grades 9 and above in regular season play." TSSAA member schools already compete in the regular season against schools that are not TSSAA members, including even home school teams

I am not trying to cause trouble but I really did not think that TSSAA member schools could play non TSSAA members (i.e. home school teams or MTAC teams). Can someone give an example of this happening. I am just curious about the subject.

"I really did not think that TSSAA member schools could play non TSSAA members (i.e. home school teams or MTAC teams). Can someone give an example of this happening."

the only example i know is that a baseball team i was helping on played a home school team.

we were penalized and even had to give up games off our schedule the following year.

this was about 10 years ago,

but i dont think tssaa has changed its stance on home school teams.

on the other hand, i know of some play between tssaa teams

and teams in that state church league, for which i dont think there was any penalty.

the closest i can come to a current example is

boyd something or other (mcminnville) which just switched from that league to tssaa

and i am certain they still played some church league teams this year.

The fact that the NFHS (not the NHFS) recognizes only one association per state is irrelevant when it comes to scheduling regular season contests. Your assertion that "By rule...publics could not play privates if they secede...at all" is wrong. Article IV, Section 1 of the TSSAA bylaws states, "A member of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association is permitted to play or scrimmage any secondary school team with grades 9 and above in regular season play." TSSAA member schools already compete in the regular season against schools that are not TSSAA members, including even home school teams

I am not trying to cause trouble but I really did not think that TSSAA member schools could play non TSSAA members (i.e. home school teams or MTAC teams). Can someone give an example of this happening. I am just curious about the subject.

I think they can play...but it has to be approved by the tssaa. I know out of state games have to be approved too.

The rule addressing which schools member schools can play used to be in Article III Section 1 of the TSSAA Bylaws. It was a lengthy rule; and as relevant to the current discussion, it allowed TSSAA member schools to play "category 1, 2 or 3" schools approved by the State Department of Education. This took in some schools like Middle Tennessee Christian School, a non-member school that played member schools (FRA for sure) in basketball.

Two years ago, the rule was changed. It now appears in Article IV, Section 1 of the TSSAA Bylaws. It is a much shorter and simpler rule that, for purposes here, simply provides that a member school "is permitted to play or scrimmage any secondary school team with grades 9 and above in regular season play." The revised rule permits member schools to schedule regular season contests against home school teams.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI. Last week rick7425 posted that there were no private schools playing in the D1 girls state tournament. There were 3 private schools in the D1 boys state tournament (Temple, Knoxville Grace and CPA) and and they all lost in the first round. University High in Johnson City is a public school in case you were wondering.

FYI. Last week rick7425 posted that there were no private schools playing in the D1 girls state tournament. There were 3 private schools in the D1 boys state tournament (Temple, Knoxville Grace and CPA) and and they all lost in the first round. University High in Johnson City is a public school in case you were wondering.

Temple = defending state champs

Grace= has had a team for 4-5 years max , been to state 2 years in a row

Temple = defending state champs

Grace= has had a team for 4-5 years max , been to state 2 years in a row

And they both still lost this year so your point is? And Grace Christian didn't go to state last year. This was there first year in the boro. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

And they both still lost this year so your point is? And Grace Christian didn't go to state last year. This was there first year in the boro. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

They were in substate last year which is technically the first round of the state tourny.

And my point is they won 2 games 2 years ago now look at them.

Temple got caught cheating goes on to win the state title last year and get back again this year.

My main point was there were 3 privates who all lost in the first round in the BORO and bighurt makes it sound like they werent even a factor in highschool ball this season. Temple WILL win state next year being as they lose only 1 player off of this years BORO team , that many returners along with another stellar recruting class and you can mark it up as 2 out of 3 for Temple.