Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

I think Sterling could have played Defense and more on special teams, but the bottom line is the team did have to have him play everywhere to win games. He did it all at 1 position. Obviously playing more positions and more downs in a game will give you more of a chance to do big things. Sterling did that playing offense and randomly on special teams... The fact that he can and did put up numbers like he did in 1 position the whole year is crazy. No WR should ever win an award and have less than 1000yards receiving. Yes he did play D, and he had what like 1 TD on a punt and 1 on a kick.. How many times did he return punts and kicks? Only 1 TD for each of those is not that great, unless he returned less than 10 of each. I think what killed Sterlings chances is that he did not commit anywhere. You can say it doesn't matter, but it really does. If you didn't know anything about either player and you saw that 1 committed to UT and 1 hasn't committed anywhere 99% of people will pick the one who has committed to UT.. especially in TN. I wish that Farragut had beaten Bearden so that the Middle Tennessee people could have seen how big of a mistake they made by picking Rod..

What category should WR's be put into? Or do you just want to leave them out and not recognize them. Personally, I think they should change the category's name to Skill position. They have the "Lineman" award, but they include Line"Backers" in that one. Do you think that is fair? Or are you just griping because the argument fits for your player to win.

I am not saying that WRs don't deserve an award. I just don't see the point in having 1 award for both WRs and Backs.. Like I said it is too hard to compare stats. No one is saying Rod is bad. There could just be an award for Offensive Back(apparently this includes WR) Defensive Back Offensive Lineman and Defensive lineman. If it was setup that way and Rod still won the Offensive Back then the award would be even more of a joke than it has become.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think the whole Mr. Football deal is a bit of a joke. It's the same with the state rankings. The voters in West TN don't know squat about the teams or top performers in East TN, and the reverse, of course, is equally true. They vote for who they've seen -- who they know -- or on reputation. A team or player's reputation is enhanced by playing the previous year in the state championship game and/or by committing to a big name Division 1 school. For Mr. Football the TSSAA further fosters the folly by requiring that votes be submitted before the regular season is even concluded. Symbolic of the lacking knowledge of these outstanding high school players -- the event's emcee repeatedly referred to Maryville QB Brent Burnette as "Ben" Burnette. This guy showed up for a luncheon prepared only to read from his note cards. I doubt too many voters spent any more time researching their selections.

Yeah right. He only played in the toughest region in the state, Region 2 with 4 teams ranked in the Top 10 most of the season. Your comments are a total JOKE and prove that you have no real knowlege about his total body of work, but are making judgements on what you saw from a lackluster Farragut team performance against Bearden. You can take your middle Tn bias and .... well you know what you can do with it .

WOW must have hit a sore spot...... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I do not know all wilkes stats except he had less than a 1000 yds receiving...but here are sterlings season stats

ATTS - 342

Yards - 2738

Ave per Game - 211

TD's - 29

I will not take anything away from the Wilkes kid and I am not by any means trying to put down his season. However, there is no way you can say that he had a season anywhere close to what Sterling did. This award is suppose to be based on performance of the season not on who you signed with or where you are from or who you play for. Sterling had one of the top 5 seasons ever in the history of Tennessee high school football, including number 2 for single season rushing.

OKAY YOU PEOPLE ARE KILLING ME!!!! IF YOU ARE GOING TO B*&%# ABOUT A TEENAGE KID WHO IS GOOD AT FOOTBALL AND DESERVES ALL HE GETS B/C YOUR "BABY" DIDN'T WIN IT AT LEAST GET THE KIDS FREAKIN' NAME RIGHT! W-I-L-K-S!!!!!!! NOT W-I-L-K-E-S!!!!! LEARN - HOW - TO - SPELL! READ THE PAPER, LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE READING BEFORE YOU COME ON HERE AND LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT! LEARN HOW TO SPELL PEOPLES NAMES! AND......

WAY TO GO ROD! WE LOVE YOU! AND -WE- ARE VERY PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! WHEN YOU ARE MAKING MILLIONS REMEMBER TO TELL ALL THESE PEOPLE THAT ARE BEING JACKA$$ES TO KISS IT!!

If Wilkes won this award it has been made a joke. No offense to Wilkes but there is no way if you are giving this award out to the best back in 5A for 2007 and Andre Sterling does not win this award it is not right.

I C THEY R STILL UPSET ABOUT THERE GREAT BACK.SPORTSMANSHIP HAS ALOT TO DO IN THE CHOICE.

OK, First of all I understand both are quality kids and I enjoyed watching both play but Nor did the award say "TOP 4A SINGLE WING RUSHING QB" or FULLBACK OR TAILBACK OR RECEIVER! In the 4 games I've seen Burnette, he precisely excuted and excelled in the offense that is asked of him to run that enabled maryville to WIN! Just as he did in maryvilles win against sullivan this past friday. Burnette sure didn't appear to be in the pocket when he threw his first of three TDS friday against sullivan. With that said you probaly couldn't have gone wrong with any of the FINALIST in any category! VERY DESERVING AND CONGRATS TO ALL THESE YOUNG MEN!

GOOD POST.FIRST OF ALL I AM NOT FROM RED BANK{SODDY DAISY}.I WAS AT THE MARY-RED BANK GAME,AND BURNETTE DIDNT APPEAR TO ME TO BE A DROP BACK POCKET PASSER.HE CAN TRULY RUN A OFFENSE.

They might as well go ahead and change the name of the award to Middle Tennessee Mr. Football, because if you are from East Tennessee it would appear that you are automatically disqualified. There is no other way to explain why Andre Sterling was not voted as the winner of this award other than the fact that more of the voters are from Middle Tennessee and completely biased toward candidates that are in their local area. Andre Sterling deserved this award based on what was done on the field and it wasn't even arguably close !!! The stats speak for themeselves, as the 4th best season rushing in TSSAA all time HISTORY ! If that can't win it for an East Tennessee player then nothing will.

I DIDNT KNOW MARYVILLE WAS IN MIDDLE TENN,SINCE SO MANY PEOPLE R SAYING NO ONE IN EAST TEEN WOULD WIN BECAUSE THE TING IS FIXED,RIGGED,ETC

I think Sterling could have played Defense and more on special teams, but the bottom line is the team did have to have him play everywhere to win games. He did it all at 1 position. Obviously playing more positions and more downs in a game will give you more of a chance to do big things. Sterling did that playing offense and randomly on special teams... The fact that he can and did put up numbers like he did in 1 position the whole year is crazy. No WR should ever win an award and have less than 1000yards receiving. Yes he did play D, and he had what like 1 TD on a punt and 1 on a kick.. How many times did he return punts and kicks? Only 1 TD for each of those is not that great, unless he returned less than 10 of each. I think what killed Sterlings chances is that he did not commit anywhere. You can say it doesn't matter, but it really does. If you didn't know anything about either player and you saw that 1 committed to UT and 1 hasn't committed anywhere 99% of people will pick the one who has committed to UT.. especially in TN. I wish that Farragut had beaten Bearden so that the Middle Tennessee people could have seen how big of a mistake they made by picking Rod..

I am not saying that WRs don't deserve an award. I just don't see the point in having 1 award for both WRs and Backs.. Like I said it is too hard to compare stats. No one is saying Rod is bad. There could just be an award for Offensive Back(apparently this includes WR) Defensive Back Offensive Lineman and Defensive lineman. If it was setup that way and Rod still won the Offensive Back then the award would be even more of a joke than it has become.

rod wilks does have over 1000 yards receving he has 74 rec for 1,126 yards and 18 tds, and let me just say that i think that it is totally classless that their are people on here saying that this is a joke

Do you pay attention to MBA only? Any fan of high school football would know that Chris Jordan had 'insane' stats over the past 2 years, while all Bart did was block. CJ got shammed. In the only few games he palyed he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season. What did Bart do to BA the championship game? Nothing, that's right, they had 4 field goals. Picking Bart over Chris Jordan, thats insane, or I am sure there is so amount of money behind it. Learn 2 see stats, noob.

You need to check the stats. CJ did not have more rushing yard then E.J. Vinsing alone let alone the whole MBA backfield with Waddey and Bartholomew. E.J. had more more yards per carry as well. Nobody, I mean nobody not BA, not FR, nobody stopped our power running play with the guard pulling and Bartholomew leading. Ya all he did was block, and MBA ran for almost 4000 yards this year. Bartholomew also played defense and punted. He probably played more then 80% of all of MBA's plays all season on offense and defense. CJ was probably around 25%. Not to mention that there are other criteria for this award, like scholarship and citizenship. I don't know what type of student or citizen CJ is, but I do know Ben is exemplary in both areas.

Typical low self-esteem FR poster thinking everything has a price.

I have never seen a post here from you that made any sense or was remotely accurate. Crawl back into your hole until wrasslin' starts (I guess it has already started). Of course FR will run into Bartholomew there as well. Good luck with that.

You need to check the stats. CJ did not have more rushing yard then E.J. Vinsing alone let alone the whole MBA backfield with Waddey and Bartholomew. E.J. had more more yards per carry as well. Nobody, and I mean nobody, not BA, not FR nobody stopped out power play with the guard pulling and Bartholomew leading. All he did was block, ya and MBA ran for close to 4000 yards this season. Bartholomew also played defense and punted. He probably played more then 80% of all of MBA's plays all season on offense and defense. CJ was probably around 25%. Not to mention that there are other criteria for this award, like scholarship and citizenship. I don't know what type of student or citizen CJ is, but I do know Ben is exemplary in both areas.

Typical low self-esteem FR poster thinking everything has a price.

I have never seen a post here from you that made any sense or was remotely accurate. Crawl back into your hole until wrasslin' starts (I guess it has already started). Of course FR will run into Bartholomew there as well. Good luck with that.

I stand corrected. According to the Tennesean stat page:

Vinsing 216 carries 1361 yards, avg 6.3 yards/carry

Jordan 182 carries 1159 yards, avg 6.37 yards/carry

So CJ averaged 2.5 inches more/carry the Vinsing. My bad.