Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.After having a few days to let all this settle and consider how the awards went I am still disappointed in the fact that Sterling did not win the 5A award. I have said even from my first post that I was not taking anything away from the Wilks kid. There is no doubt that he is a good ball player. However, I am still convinced that there are more factors that played into him winning than just overall stats, character, and whatever else they supposedly use to determine this award. Sterling has unfortunately taking alot of unneccessary heat over sportmanship. He is a first class kid. He takes alot of heat because he is good at what he does and does it against all competition. Is he cocky? Yeah probably is, that is what makes almost all great athletes great, they all have a bit of cockiness to them. That is why they can perform at the level they do, especially when the game is on the line. However, he is also very humble. For as great as his stats were this year they could probably have been obscenely better. He sat out the second half of 2 ballgames and did not play in the 4th qtr of 3 others. He did all this without complaining one bit about stats or numbers. His TD total would have been even greater too except for the fact that Farragut would use the QB sneak inside the 1 yd line numerous times. So with all that said congrats to Wilks for winning the award. However, I am still amazed at the fact that anyone, taking all things into consideration, could not have voted Sterling as the 5A Mr Football. I hear everyone on here talking about how these are kids, which yes they are, maybe the voters need to start thinking about that too.

Pretty good post. I can understand your disappointment. If Rod wouldn't have won, you would have seen probably just as many disappointed people on here.

Allow me to play devil's advocate for just a minute. If you want to "take all things into consideration", consider these few things. How many times was Rod double or triple teamed this year, thus not allowing him to get the ball. Did he gripe, whine, and moan about not getting the football? No. He accepted the fact that it was his role. If he was doubled or tripled, somebody else had an opportunity to make a play. How many times did punters punt it away from Rod, or how many times have kickers pooched it to an up back to keep it away from Rod? Did he fuss and complain about not getting the chance? No. He understood that it translated into better field position and a better opportunity for his TEAM.

If you are going to "take all things into consideration" you have to do it for both sides. Yes if Sterling would have had more carries, he would have had more yards. However, if Rod had more catches, he would have had more yards. It goes both ways.

Both of these guys were very deserving based on the years they had. However, there is only one that can take the trophy home. All of us can debate it till the cows come home, but that doesn't change much. I say we leave it like this, congratulate both on a tremendous season and high school career, and wish them both the best of luck in the future.

You need to check the stats. CJ did not have more rushing yard then E.J. Vinsing alone let alone the whole MBA backfield with Waddey and Bartholomew. E.J. had more more yards per carry as well. Nobody, I mean nobody not BA, not FR, nobody stopped our power running play with the guard pulling and Bartholomew leading. Ya all he did was block, and MBA ran for almost 4000 yards this year. Bartholomew also played defense and punted. He probably played more then 80% of all of MBA's plays all season on offense and defense. CJ was probably around 25%. Not to mention that there are other criteria for this award, like scholarship and citizenship. I don't know what type of student or citizen CJ is, but I do know Ben is exemplary in both areas.

Typical low self-esteem FR poster thinking everything has a price.

I have never seen a post here from you that made any sense or was remotely accurate. Crawl back into your hole until wrasslin' starts (I guess it has already started). Of course FR will run into Bartholomew there as well. Good luck with that.

My self-esteem is super low man, super low.

We arent talking about Vinsang, I dont know where you got that out of LOL you still have ADD at age 50? Sure, maybe Vinsang should have won! he was good too! Bartholomeau is a sham, he picked UT cause that was the only school offering. Jordan has offers from amost every school in the SEC and ACC. I think your 'scholarship' example is best suited for Mr. Jordan.

And I think FR is more worried about the parties AFTER the MBA match than the ACTUAL MBA match; they know it won't be close at all.

You, Big Red Mom, have low self-esteem. LOL AMIRITE? AM I RITE??!?!?!

My self-esteem is super low man, super low.

We arent talking about Vinsang, I dont know where you got that out of LOL you still have ADD at age 50? Sure, maybe Vinsang should have won! he was good too! Bartholomeau is a sham, he picked UT cause that was the only school offering. Jordan has offers from amost every school in the SEC and ACC. I think your 'scholarship' example is best suited for Mr. Jordan.

And I think FR is more worried about the parties AFTER the MBA match than the ACTUAL MBA match; they know it won't be close at all.

You, Big Red Mom, have low self-esteem. LOL AMIRITE? AM I RITE??!?!?!

Excuse me, but you made the comment that even with his limited playing time CJ had more yards then the entire MBA backfield. I was just pointing out that CJ didn't have as many yards as Vinsing and approximately the same number of yards as Waddey who sat out 4 games with a knee injury. But never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

As far as scholarship is concerned, I am pretty sure what the voters are suppose to look at is how a player does in the classroom, not how many colleges are offering. Speaking of which how do you know who offered Bartholomew, and who didn't? Are you his mother or something? He committed early to UT because he knew that is where he wanted to go.

Mark Twain once said it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, then to open your mouth remove all doubt. Maybe you could learn something from Mr. Clemons.

Excuse me, but you made the comment that even with his limited playing time CJ had more yards then the entire MBA backfield. I was just pointing out that CJ didn't have as many yards as Vinsing and approximately the same number of yards as Waddey who sat out 4 games with a knee injury. But never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

As far as scholarship is concerned, I am pretty sure what the voters are suppose to look at is how a player does in the classroom, not how many colleges are offering. Speaking of which how do you know who offered Bartholomew, and who didn't? Are you his mother or something? He committed early to UT because he knew that is where he wanted to go.

Mark Twain once said it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and prove it. Maybe you could learn something from Mr. Clemons.

Heres the comment I made where I guess you said that I said Jordan was better than the entire MBA backfield??

I understand Preston Baily, but I think Chris Jordan should have got the the D2-AA Back Award, no offense to Bartholmeau. Chris Jordan was a turf monster going to any school he wants in the SEC.

I dont know where you got that.. Maybe you can take some advice from Mark Twain, as he said 'it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and prove it.'

Theres was a post earlier as to where Jordan was able to go to school, and there were tons of schools. I am sure a kid with these posibbilities is also smart enough to make good grades. He also goes to Brentwood Academy, which is a great academic, private school.

Have fun watching your kid play on the sideline for the next 2 years of his sad career!

Heres the comment I made where I guess you said that I said Jordan was better than the entire MBA backfield??

I dont know where you got that.. Maybe you can take some advice from Mark Twain, as he said 'it is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, then to open your mouth and prove it.'

Theres was a post earlier as to where Jordan was able to go to school, and there were tons of schools. I am sure a kid with these posibbilities is also smart enough to make good grades. He also goes to Brentwood Academy, which is a great academic, private school.

Have fun watching your kid play on the sideline for the next 2 years of his sad career!

Do you pay attention to MBA only? Any fan of high school football would know that Chris Jordan had 'insane' stats over the past 2 years, while all Bart did was block. CJ got shammed. In the only few games he palyed he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season. What did Bart do to BA the championship game? Nothing, that's right, they had 4 field goals. Picking Bart over Chris Jordan, thats insane, or I am sure there is so amount of money behind it. Learn 2 see stats, noob.

Do those words look familiar? "CJ got shammed. In the only few games he played he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season" Those are your words, posted 12/4 @ 1:25 pm. You post so much trash you can't even remember what you write.

BTW my son is a Senior, started the entire season and if he is standing on any sideline for the next 2 years it will be a college sideline.

For someone who is wrong about so many things you seem to be "sure" about an awful lot. Maybe you should think (but don't hurt yourself) before you write.

Do you pay attention to MBA only? Any fan of high school football would know that Chris Jordan had 'insane' stats over the past 2 years, while all Bart did was block. CJ got shammed. In the only few games he palyed he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season. What did Bart do to BA the championship game? Nothing, that's right, they had 4 field goals. Picking Bart over Chris Jordan, thats insane, or I am sure there is so amount of money behind it. Learn 2 see stats, noob.

Do those words look familiar? "CJ got shammed. In the only few games he played he put up more stats than the entire MBA backfield did this season" Those are your words, posted 12/4 @ 1:25 pm. You post so much trash you can't even remember what you write.

BTW my son is a Senior, started the entire season and if he is standing on any sideline for the next 2 years it will be a college sideline.

For someone who is wrong about so many things you seem to be "sure" about an awful lot. Maybe you should think (but don't hurt yourself) before you write.

Seems like he needs to go re-read his Mark Twain quote.

As to these two, they are two tremendous athletes and apparantly equally tremendous kids. I know Smyrna played MBA in a scrimmage. I was not able to be at that game, but after what I heard, they said that the Bartholomew (sp?) kid was an absolute beast!

Smyrna also played BA in the regular season which I was at. I think Jordan was still nursing the ankle and Smyrna kept him in check for the most part. He did have a couple of nice runs that showed he obviously is the real deal. It would have been good to see him healthy this entire year to see what kind of a season he could have had.

That being said, I think giving to Barth. was the right call.

That's just my 2 cents from somebody without a dog in either hunt.

Seems like he needs to go re-read his Mark Twain quote.

As to these two, they are two tremendous athletes and apparantly equally tremendous kids. I know Smyrna played MBA in a scrimmage. I was not able to be at that game, but after what I heard, they said that the Bartholomew (sp?) kid was an absolute beast!

Smyrna also played BA in the regular season which I was at. I think Jordan was still nursing the ankle and Smyrna kept him in check for the most part. He did have a couple of nice runs that showed he obviously is the real deal. It would have been good to see him healthy this entire year to see what kind of a season he could have had.

That being said, I think giving to Barth. was the right call.

That's just my 2 cents from somebody without a dog in either hunt.

And I believe if your going to "quote" someone you should at least know what the quote is and correctly quote it.

Do you pay attention to MBA only? Any fan of high school football would know that Chris Jordan had 'insane' stats over the past 2 years, while all Bart did was block.

I like to jump in on this being familiar with both teams. Last year, Chris Jordan had a great game against Ravenwood. He was able to bring BA back in the fourth quarter, knock down a second OT extra two points from to secure the 1 point victory. He was the best last year but he got knee injury during the season to sit out a major portion of the year. This year, he played one snap in the Ravenwood game to sit out the rest of the game with ankle injury. He played through the nagging injuries off and on through the rest of the season. When it came to the big games, CJ couldn't perform to the best of his ability to help BA win against MBA, especially on defense.

I've watch Ben Bartholomew come through in games to win it for his MBA team. He was the difference in Hillsboro game on defense in the last minute of play. He was the difference maker for MBA win against Ravenwood. You can make the claim that BB was difference maker in both MBA wins over BA when CJ had the chance to showcase with knockout wins for BA. Ben Bartholomew body of work in the running, blocking, receiving, tackling, and disrupting the other team game plan was the difference although the stats don't show it. I'd pick CJ at the start of the season for Top Back but at the end of the season, it was Ben Bartholomew, Mr. Do All Football Player...not a bad punter as well. He was "THE WATERBOY" for MBA.

Touche'

doubt ur son started tho, doubt he will play in college /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I like to jump in on this being familiar with both teams. Last year, Chris Jordan had a great game against Ravenwood. He was able to bring BA back in the fourth quarter, knock down a second OT extra two points from to secure the 1 point victory. He was the best last year but he got knee injury during the season to sit out a major portion of the year. This year, he played one snap in the Ravenwood game to sit out the rest of the game with ankle injury. He played through the nagging injuries off and on through the rest of the season. When it came to the big games, CJ couldn't perform to the best of his ability to help BA win against MBA, especially on defense.

I've watch Ben Bartholomew come through in games to win it for his MBA team. He was the difference in Hillsboro game on defense in the last minute of play. He was the difference maker for MBA win against Ravenwood. You can make the claim that BB was difference maker in both MBA wins over BA when CJ had the chance to showcase with knockout wins for BA. Ben Bartholomew body of work in the running, blocking, receiving, tackling, and disrupting the other team game plan was the difference although the stats don't show it. I'd pick CJ at the start of the season for Top Back but at the end of the season, it was Ben Bartholomew, Mr. Do All Football Player...not a bad punter as well. He was "THE WATERBOY" for MBA.

Great post but I think alot of people are missing the point of the "Back" part of it. It is suppose to be about his offensive part not the linebacker or punting or other points. I know he is a good Fb but how many FB win the Heisman and that is what this is to a high school player. Now if they wanted to put him up for the "Lineman" award for his work at LB then I think he was derserving but not as a back.