THE Smyrna Football Hall of Fame

voldawg08

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so funny that people forget how this game ended. I'll tell you how the play went. First of all, it was second down. I think there was more than 1 minute left on the clock. The route was a hitch. It's a 3 step drop for the QB. Larry took his drop, then rolled out and signaled for Luke to go deep. Luke spins off the DB and goes to the endzone. Larry lobs the ball and the safety hits Luke as the ball touches his hands. The next two plays (which no one seems to remember) go like this. On 3rd down, Larry rolls out again, fumbles the ball, picks it up but loses about 10 yards. Then on 4th down, there was a pass in the endzone that fell incomplete. Cleveland then took a knee and ran the time out.

Also in '95, to correct another posting, Smyrna got beat by Maryville in the regular season. Then Smyrna played them in the 2nd round. Maryville was undefeated, but Smyrna won in the playoffs 18-0. The next year ('96) Maryville played at Smyrna in the regular season and Smyrna won again. Maryville had Toki McCray at QB. Although it was over 10 years ago, Smyrna has a winning streak against the Rebels.

As for the Smyrna Hall of Fame, there are only two numbers retired and you guys forgot to mention one, Walter Jordan. And, from growing up there, I learned Donnie Holland was a darn good player in his time too. Some would argue he was the best to come through Smyrna. It's funny how nearly all of your hall of famers are from the late '90s and later. Some of the people you name were not even significant starters for more than a year. You forgot some pretty good (for Smyrna standards) players. What about Brad Lindquist ? He was all-state. What about O.J. Smith? Tommy Alexander? Sean Rhodes (all-state in '95 I think)? What about Ashley Hunter? He had probably the best career of any LB at Smyrna in the past 15-20 years.

you are right i knew that i had forgot some "i was half asleep when i was postin last night" tommy alexander was one of my favorites, is oj smith son playin for blackman? i heard someone talkin about it at the blackman game this year, and you are right smyrna lost 25-13 in the regular season to maryville "read the score backwards" and how the cleveland game ended i cant remember exactly how it ended give me 12 more years and im sure ill be thinkin that the game was played in 3ft of snow lol just no that it was a great game and i do remeber the pass to the endzone, from where i was standing i saw larry throw but i couldnt see the ball come down in the endzone, smyrna came sooo close, that 95 team will always be special to me

maybe not all the players listed were 3 or 4 year starters but even if they started for one year BELEIVE me they gave their all to smyrna football and to all those guys that put on the purple and gold, all of those guys will always be in my hall of fame,

Did you really put Josh Crouch in this group?

Yeah, why not? He might not have the best numbers or brightest future in football but he was one of the main leaders to Smyrna's first ever state championship. Am I the only person who remembers when he got hurt in the championship game after landing awkwardly when he batted that pass down. The entire Smyrna side was chanting his last name until he rose to his feet. That's one of the most memorable moments of that game for me. He meant alot to Smyrna Football.

OJ Smith is the ONLY Rutherford Co. QB to EVER beat Brentwood Academy. Smyrna is the only school in Rutherford County to beat BA. Of course, it only happened once, and it was over 20 years ago. It was on BA's field in the last minute of the game. Very low scoring game. If I remember right, OJ took it over the left side for a TD in the north end zone.

BA has played Riverdale, Oakland, Lavergne and Smyrna in the past.

Thought I'd add this year's graduating stars to a legendary list of former Smyrna players. If anyone has somebody I forgot, then please post them.

QB Sonny Gray '08

QB David Wolke '04

QB Larry Daniels '??

RB/DB Marsalous Johnson '05

WR Luke Powell '??

WR/DB/KR Rodriguez Wilks '08

WR/DB Josh Crouch '07

OL/DL Adam Smotherman '06

OL James Williams '07

LB Josh Day '08

LB Brock Willis '06

LB Blake Winters '05

Future Hall of Famers IMO:

RB Jeremiah Bryson '11

LB Deon Meadows '11

DB Andrew Jenkins '10

OL Tyler Eady '09

WR/DB Cody Hager '09

OL Nate Smith '11

Oh Larry Daniels....he was the quickest and fastest QB that I played against. Watching film preparing for their game, we were told he was fast and even knew their first play from scrimmage and still he busted one for 60 yards. He went to Cumberland for a year...believe it was '98 season. Don't think he made it through the full season because he couldn't stay out of trouble.

Where is Wolke now? He could be the starter at Notre Dame now throwing to Golden Tate. But, I don't blame him for leaving.

Dale Brown and Gleen McKnight weren??™t to bad both were seniors when Wolke was a sophomore. I was not here when Lee Carter played but they say him and DJ were fantastic. BTW Donnie Carter was once the coach of Triple A LaVergne. I think if you want to give any credit to all the kids mentioned in this thread it would have to be Gene Carr he is the father of youth football. He has done the most for Smyrna. www.storkmontgomery.com

Oh Larry Daniels....he was the quickest and fastest QB that I played against. Watching film preparing for their game, we were told he was fast and even knew their first play from scrimmage and still he busted one for 60 yards. He went to Cumberland for a year...believe it was '98 season. Don't think he made it through the full season because he couldn't stay out of trouble.

Where is Wolke now? He could be the starter at Notre Dame now throwing to Golden Tate. But, I don't blame him for leaving.

Wolke is the starting QB at Western Kentucky.. i think western could have beaten Notre Dame this year.. and no i dont think he could start at Notre Dame cause Charle Weis is soo high of Jimmy Clausen is not even funny.. he acts like hes going to be the next Joe Montana

thought that i would add a couple of oldschoolers,

phillip shadowens 84?

brian carr 93

tome opincar 96

rico clark 94

tay ransom 95

butch waugh 96

jason bragg 96

tommy miles "whop" 94

carlos hayes 97

torey patterson 96

todd russell 97

their is alot of people on here from the mid 90s,a team that in 95 lost to cleveland in the semi finals 22-26 "when cleveland won a couple of state championships in 4a" came down to the last play of the game" the coach of that team benny monroe who was coaching at ooltewah when they came to smyrna last year in the semi finals, interesting stat from that 95 year smyrna beat maryville twice that year 25-13 and than again in the second round of the playoffs 18-0 which today would be unheard of!!

Butch Waugh was a stud in college and a good dude. Larry Daniels played with Butch and was one of the best players to ever be a bulldog. I can't believe he isn't on your list old school. Todd Russell was good in high schools a little girl in college.

Larry went JC first and got in trouble then he came to CU and was an All con. and a 3rd team All- American his first year. Then he left. No trouble at CU. He had mad wheels. Wolke is at Western Ky.

Butch Waugh was a stud in college and a good dude. Larry Daniels played with Butch and was one of the best players to ever be a bulldog. I can't believe he isn't on your list old school. Todd Russell was good in high schools a little girl in college.

no i havent forget about #12, he was on the topic starters list just wanted to thow out some other names that wasnt on his list