William Blount

ETNbballfan

With last night's loss, WB has now been outscored 730-455 on the season, with their only win coming against a winless South-Doyle team. I now know why people are telling me I should send my daughter to Heritage if I want her to play for a winner. They seem to always have a good team, whether they have a superstar or not.

I just wish WB could somehow get their program turned around like the football team has done.

GovMan - where are you to help me feel better about the program after reading the criticism on this thread.

#1- There's more to life than "won - loss" records ... I would suggest you send your daughter to school where she is "zoned" to go. If you have a choice, I'd use more than the girls basketball program in making my decision.

#2 - When is the last time Heritage did not have a "superstar" on their team?

#3 - Everyone is entitled to speculate and have opinions. As I've said earlier on this thread, this is a very young, very inexperienced team that is getting better. If you just look at the scores from the Mid-South Classic, you'll think ... they just got hammered again. But if you there, as I was, you would have seen some great "steps" for the team against some quality opponents.

#4 - I'm like an elephant (not just in physical appearance) ... I have a long memory. If some of you neysayers would like to identify yourselves, I'll remember who you are and remind you of this thread and your comments in another couple years. We've got the best group of freshmen in the county this year and we will again next year. Keep taking your shots people ... things are ok at WB.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MIDTNBB what did you mean by the comment about somebody from Baxter giving advice about headcoaches? I have been in the coaching business since 1983 as a head coach and as an assistant coach. I have coached men's basketball, women's softball, and football. I happen to think that Upperman has some of the best coaches in the business. Are they perfect? No, far from it. But as a whole each coach on staff is as dedicated as you will find each wanting to get better as a coach and working hard to make their teams better. What more could you ask from them? I think it is an excellent staff, but this is just my opinion. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I think that you could use some of these terms--dedicated,wanting to get better, and hard working to describe the coach from WB. Maybe he uses a coaching style that you do not agree with, but that is no reason to say that they need another coach.

It is my opinion that coaches of schools that are hosting a tournament should not get on boards like this and be critical of the coaches from the schools that are participating in that tournament. Does any of your coaches ever yell at their players or the refs? Do you always agree with their game plans? If not, then get on here tell your opinion of them, not the coaches from other schools.

I just don't think it is professional of a coach to get on here and bad mouth someone else's coaching.

This is just my opinion, but I'm not a coach.

I'll say this again and it is only my opinion which isn't much but I think that WB running up and down is the best way to develop talent. Yes if he tried to slow down the game his team could play closer and maybe win a couple more games. Maybe the confidence of the girls would be higher. However, what kind of message are you sending when you say the only way we can win is by slowing the game way down. I don't know very much about the game and yes this is a good argument either way about which style is better but maybe coach is looking at the big picture later on the next couple of years. I for one would rather come out swinging rather than slow the game down and admit defeat before we get started. However, I know that may not always give my team the best chance to win which is tough to swallow. I'm not saying one is better than the other I'm just giving my own personal belief.

GOV MAN is right on please attend the school you are zone to and represent your community.

I'll say this again and it is only my opinion which isn't much but I think that WB running up and down is the best way to develop talent. Yes if he tried to slow down the game his team could play closer and maybe win a couple more games. Maybe the confidence of the girls would be higher. However, what kind of message are you sending when you say the only way we can win is by slowing the game way down. I don't know very much about the game and yes this is a good argument either way about which style is better but maybe coach is looking at the big picture later on the next couple of years. I for one would rather come out swinging rather than slow the game down and admit defeat before we get started. However, I know that may not always give my team the best chance to win which is tough to swallow. I'm not saying one is better than the other I'm just giving my own personal belief.

GOV MAN is right on please attend the school you are zone to and represent your community.

I'm not familiar with the situation at WB but I've been reading this thread off and on over the last few days and have an observation to make.

1. You can develop talent in many ways through hard work in practice.

2. Pace of play does not develop talent

3. Kids should be able to play fast, slow, and in between. To teach only one style of play is to cripple your team!

4. The team that won the A state title last year slowed the game to a crawl and it's hard to argue with their success.

And the message you're sending to your kids by slowing down is one that says we are going to try whatever it takes to win this game! It is insane to say you are going to run when you know it's going to cause you to be blown out!

Just some food for thought /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

#1- There's more to life than "won - loss" records ... I would suggest you send your daughter to school where she is "zoned" to go. If you have a choice, I'd use more than the girls basketball program in making my decision.

#2 - When is the last time Heritage did not have a "superstar" on their team?

#3 - Everyone is entitled to speculate and have opinions. As I've said earlier on this thread, this is a very young, very inexperienced team that is getting better. If you just look at the scores from the Mid-South Classic, you'll think ... they just got hammered again. But if you there, as I was, you would have seen some great "steps" for the team against some quality opponents.

#4 - I'm like an elephant (not just in physical appearance) ... I have a long memory. If some of you neysayers would like to identify yourselves, I'll remember who you are and remind you of this thread and your comments in another couple years. We've got the best group of freshmen in the county this year and we will again next year. Keep taking your shots people ... things are ok at WB.

Just curious GovMan, why doesn't your daughter attend school where she is "zoned" to go?

I think it is very rare that you find a team that can play many different styles. Those are very few and far between! Unless the state allows more time for practice than I really don't see how a ordinary team can be good at several different ways especially a young one. I don't think I ever said that one style was better than the other one and you can win many different ways. I could give so many examples of teams that play fast that have won more state championships than those that play slow. Look at Union City boys

Gatorbillmsu, it seems to me like you've met this coach? You seem to know what a horrible coach he is, and can go far enough to wish him out of a job.

I know him personally and he is a wonderful coach, and guy. He loves those girls more than anything and would do anything for them. His coaching "style" is welcomed by the girls and as crazy as he goes when they do something worng, he goes just a crazy and is just a loud when they do soemthing right.

No I have never met this coach. And no I am certainly not wishing him out of a job. That is not what I sai, and I am sorry to have left my post so that you could interpret it that way. That is my fault, and I apologize.

But no, I do NOT like his "style" of coaching. I have said before and I will say it again, I am sure he is a fine person, and that he cares deeply about his team.

HOWEVER, it is my opinion, and the opinion of many others that his coaching "style" stinks. That is a nicely as I can put it. And while I do not know any of the kids that play for him, I am 100% certain that if you gave the kids the option of playing for this coach and dealing with his current "style", or playing for this same coach and getting

an occassional scream, and a lot more coaching, and encouragement (I do NOT believe in coddling), then they would chose the latter.

I am not trying to turn any players against their coach, or parents against their coach, but I think this coach needs to do some searching into his methods, and the results of his methods. Im sure he would be a much better coach if he were to alter it a bit.

I have played D1 football, (ok...I just PRACTICED D1 football), I played semi-pro football, I have been in a Pro Football preseason camp, I have coached at many levels.. I have NEVER seen a coach like I saw in the WB-v-UHS game. That was shameful. That is the nicest way I can put it.

Just curious GovMan, why doesn't your daughter attend school where she is "zoned" to go?

She does. My kids are "zoned for William Blount High School". We do live in the "city limits" of Maryville, but Maryville is still in Blount County which means our kids can attend either Maryville or the county school they are zoned for ... which is William Blount. Good try 23 hoops but I'm not quite that dumb. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> You thought you had me didn't you!

I certainly would have had no problem had either kid decided to attend Maryville, but seeing as how they spent kindergarten through the start of their 9th grade year in the county school system before we moved, they and we (parents) decided we would stay where we were.

She does. My kids are "zoned for William Blount High School". We do live in the "city limits" of Maryville, but Maryville is still in Blount County which means our kids can attend either Maryville or the county school they are zoned for ... which is William Blount. Good try 23 hoops but I'm not quite that dumb. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> You thought you had me didn't you!

I certainly would have had no problem had either kid decided to attend Maryville, but seeing as how they spent kindergarten through the start of their 9th grade year in the county school system before we moved, they and we (parents) decided we would stay where we were.

No, I don't think that I "had you" and I certainly know that you are far from dumb. Quite the contrary! You may attend wherever you want. My bad!!!!