State Meet Facility

Guest kenwoodrun

Guest kenwoodrun

I have been told that the state meet facility will be Briarcrest, which is just outside of Memphis.

1) Does anyone know if this is accurate?

2) Does anyone know anything about the track and/or field facilities at Briarcrest?

Thanks...

Coach,

I don't know about the site of the state meet but I'm very interested since we live 85 miles from Memphis. I was also curious about another question if you might address it. I know you built your track in 1998. I am working with our local school to try to get the board and superintendent interested in building a track (there's not one anywhere near us). I was wondering if you might give me an idea of what an eight lane, synthetic surface track along with the related field venues (jumps and throws) might cost? I know there are vast differences amongst surfaces and if you know estimates of more than one type of surface or even just the one you put down, I'd love to have the info. Thanks for any help you can provide. If I hear anything defininte on the state meet site or the Briarcrest facilities, I'll pass it along.

Guest kenwoodrun

Wow, what a good question...That one's real tough, they rolled the base expense of our facility in with the school when it opened. We basically just had to buy pits and hurdles, and lay out our throw rings. A lot of depends on the site you pick (99% of the time high school tracks are built around a football field, so drainage and other non-track issues come into play.) If you can find an appropriate place, shot/disc rings are virtually free in comparison to the track. Jumping facilities can get a little pricey, especially pole vault...which will cost plenty to meet federation standards. Then hurdles and blocks together compose a rough bill, just because of the sheer quantity involved (especially DECENT hurdles that don't blow over with the breeze). The actual surfacing, I wish I knew what it ran. I know tartan is cheaper than polyurethane, polyurethane is cheaper than mondo, etc, etc...but I'm blank on a $$$ figure. I believe we estimated that it would be a quarter of a million to resurface our existing surface when that time comes around, but I could be way wrong. I will ask around and see what I can find out for you...

If you do not have to do a lot of dirt work to prepare your site, I believe you could get an 8 lane track , including your pads and hurdles, for 250,000 to 275,000. There is a company in Knoxville I would talk to named Baseline. They put in a track I know of and did a great job very economically. It is a Caltec track, polyurethene, and has held up well.