Tri-County Seven - Week of 16 December, 2007

krichunaka

It evidently looks like you didnt attend the game last night. Because clearly the officiating was terrible both ways. Oh and the incident with the no count poor excuse of an official and that johnson girl, clearly if you were at the game you would have seen HANNAH BANKS (thats the HV player) and Johnson, who was riding her tail all the way down the floor smacking and hacking at her, finally banks being the type of player that she is got fed up... she elbowed her,, if im correct basketball is a contact sport, and dont get me wrong she may have went too far,, but the unaka and hv players were like that the whole game... And those same official didnt see those times either... Like when bowling got an elbow from scott or winters throwing countless elbows or even when hv threw some too like ward and banks threw a couple more.. they only caught it once and it just so happened to be on an unaka player... This is how a game is played when two county rival teams play.. your just going to have to deal with it...its going to be a battle.

All I'm saying is a game that close is going to get heated even if they're not rivals...I don't care if they're from the same county, state or country...or not....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that they were saying that they lost because of the refs. I think what everyone was saying is that the Refs needed to get the game under control and they didn't. Letting things slide because you want to get the game over with results in everyone getting heated and someone getting hurt. The refs are there to keep the game under control. The way that I read it is that everyone was saying that they were equal in talent and fouls and that H.V. came up on top. Show me where someone said that Unaka lost because of the refs because I must have missed it.

Anybody at the game last night knew that this one would be a big topic. And we've only scratched the surface. There are other concerns, complaints allegations, etc., and those things are still a work-in-progress.

CycloneFan, You have personally explained the Elizabethton stance on the City vs County, or more accurately, EHS versus UHS to me. I followed up with more questions, concerns, etc., and as badly as you know I wanted them to play, I also understand the rationale for not playing. That was then. Coachh17, I'm with you that yes, if possible, all the schools should play.

It's a real stretch to even suggest that Elizabethton versus Unaka, or Elizabethton versus Cloudland is one speck riskier - physically, or otherwise, than say playing the Greene Devils (and this is to suggest nothing toward Greeneville). At the end of the day, THE reason Elizabethon avoids Unaka or Cloudland, is pride. They don't want to lose to them. And with due respect - and I can speak only for Unaka - there would be scant little to brag about if the Lady Rangers were to beat the Lady Cyclones. They've done it several times, and I'm yet to hear the first person brag about it. Further, and this is very telling, if there is ever a more-likely time for injury, anger, bad blood, etc., it's during those partially, or poorly refereed summer league games, where, incidentally, the Lady Rangers and Lady Cyclones have faced off several times in recent years. If Elizabethon wants to play Unaka, they can. Pride is the only justifiable impediment.

For the record, I don't think the officiating crew determined the winners or losers of last night's game. Nor does Kenneth Chambers. Nor does Ben Godsey. Both of them have been top-flight through all of this. Coach Chambers said, "The ONLY reason we lost was, Happy Valley made the last shot." He doesn't blame the officials. He blames Unaka for getting out-hustled in the paint a few times, and for some careless passing at critical times. He did not think the officiating was necessarily good, and he thinks that a couple more players should have been sitting by the end of regulation. But he is much more concerned with his players execution and behavior than he is with the officiating.

And quickly, concerning the fouls discrepancy at North Greene: I mentioned the contrast weeks ago. Unaka attempted two free throws the entire game; the Lady Huskies, 22. It was bad. But having said that - - Unaka still should have won the game. It's not an excuse, it's a numerical fact.

Anybody at the game last night knew that this one would be a big topic. And we've only scratched the surface. There are other concerns, complaints allegations, etc., and those things are still a work-in-progress.

CycloneFan, You have personally explained the Elizabethton stance on the City vs County, or more accurately, EHS versus UHS to me. I followed up with more questions, concerns, etc., and as badly as you know I wanted them to play, I also understand the rationale for not playing. That was then. Coachh17, I'm with you that yes, if possible, all the schools should play.

It's a real stretch to even suggest that Elizabethton versus Unaka, or Elizabethton versus Cloudland is one speck riskier - physically, or otherwise, than say playing the Greene Devils (and this is to suggest nothing toward Greeneville). At the end of the day, THE reason Elizabethon avoids Unaka or Cloudland, is pride. They don't want to lose to them. And with due respect - and I can speak only for Unaka - there would be scant little to brag about if the Lady Rangers were to beat the Lady Cyclones. They've done it several times, and I'm yet to hear the first person brag about it. Further, and this is very telling, if there is ever a more-likely time for injury, anger, bad blood, etc., it's during those partially, or poorly refereed summer league games, where, incidentally, the Lady Rangers and Lady Cyclones have faced off several times in recent years. If Elizabethon wants to play Unaka, they can. Pride is the only justifiable impediment.

Have you ever concidered becoming a lawyer?

For the record, I don't think the officiating crew determined the winners or losers of last night's game. Nor does Kenneth Chambers. Nor does Ben Godsey. Both of them have been top-flight through all of this. Coach Chambers said, "The ONLY reason we lost was, Happy Valley made the last shot." He doesn't blame the officials. He blames Unaka for getting out-hustled in the paint a few times, and for some careless passing at critical times. He did not think the officiating was necessarily good, and he thinks that a couple more players should have been sitting by the end of regulation. But he is much more concerned with his players execution and behavior than he is with the officiating.

And quickly, concerning the fouls discrepancy at North Greene: I mentioned the contrast weeks ago. Unaka attempted two free throws the entire game; the Lady Huskies, 22. It was bad. But having said that - - Unaka still should have won the game. It's not an excuse, it's a numerical fact.

Have you ever considered becoming a lawyer?

He considered becoming a "jailhouse lawyer" in his youth, but he was such a good man he couldn't bring himself to commit a crime to get in.

Thanks for your wonderful sense of humor. Which is why I'm confident we could have games amongst all our Seven Area teams, with no big risk to anyone. Happy Valley and Coach Godsey were really onto something special, until the bubble burst. And, I really don't think any of the Ladies - Cyclones, Highlanders, Warriors, Blue Devils, Longhorns, Bulldogs, or Rangers - are so egotistical that losing would cause long-term trauma. Play the games, go home, study, watch Hannah Montana and go to bed.

As for the potential "legal" career, the last time I used the "L" word herein, I offended a dear friend. Besides, I have the memory of a, well, I can't remember what (and I wish I were joking). And coachh17 is just being polite. The truth behind the "jail-house," thing was actually more of a "housing" offer.

Krich, for what's it's worth, I, along with several others, were sitting in the stands where Johnson and whoever the Happy Valley player was and the NO COUNT POOR EXCUSE for an offical was. Johnson had the ball and the Happy Valley PLAYER elbowed JOHNSON in the chest. And you are right, the offical WAS on top of the call and yet, DID NOT make the call. That is WHY the FANS were NOT HAPPY! The ball should have been in UNAKA"S possesion, but the offical,--- WELL!,--- I hope HE slept well last night. Yes, Unaka missed shots they should have made under the goal, but what steams me up is you teach your kids to play fair and honest (and to lose the same way, if that makes sense) and they put in long hours of practice and playing during Holiday breaks (when that SHOULD BE FAMILY TIME) and of course, all in the name of being better players-- and ALL the money and TIME you put into it yourself as parents, (if you are one of those parents who support your kid and their team) and then have an offical cheat BOTH teams by NOT being in the ballgame or just simply NOT paying attention or whatever his/hers poor excuse is for not calling the game HONEST! And Sreenandroll, did you attend this game? the YOUTH of UNAKA played great ball!!!!

Yes I was at the game and no I didn't say the youth of Unaka didn't play well. If you would read my post I said they became "hesitate" at the end of the game, which they did. Underclassman will tend to do that at the end of a close ballgame. But with each game they are in like that they will gain valuable experience and be able to deal with it better and better each time. Again if you read my post I said the younger players had stepped up their game rather quickly. As for the refs cheating, I really don't believe one ref would cheat for another team. Do they miss many calls, sure they do, but I can't believe it is done on purpose. Some call better than others, some call it close, some don't. When you get three together it is harder for the game to be called consistant. Both teams made some fouls they shouldn't have but all was in part of the game. Which means if they commet these plays then they should be called. That is why the rules were written to handle these types of situations. Some will be missed others will be called. Remember the ole saying: It's the second one that gets caught.

As for the other posts trying to rationalize not playing other county teams because they feel someone will get injuried and it would be to "heated". I really have a hard time understanding that reasoning. Every game you play you take a chance of getting injuried. If it doesn't become "heated" then you are either a lot beter or worse than your opponent or you just don't care about playing. Every game should be played with passion and the utmost desire to excel. If done properly then this makes the games "heated". Years ago there used to be bad blood between county teams but now these kids for the most part are pretty good friends. I'm sure they would like to beat each other but we as fans, parents, coaches care a lot more about the game than they do (when it is over and done with). A lot attend other functions outside of basketball together and some even play together in the summer. So I really don't see how that reasoning on not playing would have anything to do with it.

Krich, sorry I mentioned the "incident" to Bowling. Again the only reason was to suggest this could have had an effect on her play in the second half. I agree that Banks should have been given a foul, but like you said she probably got fouled first and just reacted in an unsportsmanlike manner which should have been called. Again all this happening just after a time out had been given to Happy Valley.

It was a good game to watch. Not sure Godsey or Chambers were extremely happy with the way each team preform down the stretch. Even though Unaka ran a great play to tie the game up with a 3 after running Scott down low to draw the defense. Great execution on their part. Happy Valley finished the game with an extra effort play to get the win. Both teams will need to improve some to contend for the conference championship but can really use this game to build on.

As for the lawyer bit, I truly hope I never need you to defend me because you might just ride the fence long enough to get me "fried".....

Screenandroll,

Yes, I watched the Junior Lady 'Landers play at Freedom Hall. We didn't play very well, however. But we did manage to hand T.A. Dugger a loss. And oddly enough, no one on either team got hurt, no technicals were called, and I don't remember any obvious displays of "we beat the bigger school" mentality. We just EXPECTED to beat them, and did. Then we turned around and didn't even show up against Blountville. Kind of embarrased ourselves in that game. Fortunately, I don't recall the score.

As for future talent, I think Cloudland will be fine on the JV next year. Summer Hughes (Jordan's sister) and Sydney Miller (Jordi's little sis) are a fantastic pair of guards. Both played on the 8th grade team that won a sectional State Championship last year. They also have help from Hope Baker, Renee Proffitt, Andrea Guinn, Natasha Clawson, and several others.

At Unaka, Louisa Espinoza (Weezie) is a standout. TAD has a couple of players, can't recall the names except for Casey Jones, but she wasn't the only talent. I just happen to know her family, so I remember her more easily.

I've got to comment on some of the prior posts as well. I can speak, I think, for at least some of the players at Cloudland. They wouldn't look at beating Elizabethton as a huge accomplishment, I can assure you of that. And to imply that a cross-county game is more "dangerous" than any other is mistaken. If the players don't have the same level of motivation for every game, they probably shouldn't be on the floor.

The referees and coaches are responsible for controlling the game, I agree fully with that. But let's not use the "homer" ref excuse either. The county uses the same pool of referees as the city, so that one will not fly.

Frankly, many of the Unaka players are friends with girls from Cloudland, as are some of the Happy Valley players. My daughters have made friends on basketball teams across East Tennessee. One has dated players from other schools more than once. They certainly wouldn't go out of the way to try to injure another player simply because they were from a county school.

We have made several trips to doctors, physical therapists, chiropractors, and emergency rooms for stitches due to being athletes. Not one of them was because we were playing a particular team.

If an overiding factor in scheduling games is to not get hurt, or to prevent injury to one's pride...don't even play the games. The next step would be to do what has been done in the Johnson City youth league, stop even keeping the score. Of course, I guarantee you that the kids know who won, even with the scoreboard off.

Sports are a microcosm of life. There are winners, and there are losers. There are whiners, and there are those who take responsibility for their own performance. Testing yourself against the best athletes you can find is the only way to truly know how you measure up.

The Highlander

Hey SNR,

I was typing my post, then I read yours. It sounds like you and Krich and I got together and compared notes before we posted!

I have the utmost respect, both personally and professionally, for the poster who mentioned Elizabethton's reason for not playing some of the county schools. I just cannot for the life of me fathom that line of reasoning.

The Highlander

Hey SNR,

I was typing my post, then I read yours. It sounds like you and Krich and I got together and compared notes before we posted!

I have the utmost respect, both personally and professionally, for the poster who mentioned Elizabethton's reason for not playing some of the county schools. I just cannot for the life of me fathom that line of reasoning.

The Highlander

Don't say that because the next thing you know I'll be called "rangerlover" also....