girls basketball

hubmaster

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who do you think had the best girls team in upper tenn. in the last 20 years

I'll assume you mean Upper East Tennessee and not the Upper Cumberland of Middle Tennessee. South Greene had several great teams under Larry Ricker and won at least one state title. Greeneville has had several great teams make the state tournament. Elizabethton's 2005 state tournament team was a very good team. I would have to say one of the South Greene title teams would have to be considered the best. Gold Balls are a rarity in East Tennessee.

I'll assume you mean Upper East Tennessee and not the Upper Cumberland of Middle Tennessee. South Greene had several great teams under Larry Ricker and won at least one state title. Greeneville has had several great teams make the state tournament. Elizabethton's 2005 state tournament team was a very good team. I would have to say one of the South Greene title teams would have to be considered the best. Gold Balls are a rarity in East Tennessee.

D.B. and east had some good teams in the middle 90's both going to the state D.B. i think lost in double ot to Shelbyville and lost the next year to Shelbyville both in the semi finals , they might be the only big nine teams to win a game in the state tourny so far

I can't go back twenty years, but South Greene (several seasons combined) have to be considered at the top.

Unicoi County has also had some great teams.

More locally, I agree with coachh17 - Elizabetthon 2005, and to add, Unaka, same season.

And Matt Birchfield's first state-tournament team (Hanson, Story, et al) at Cloudland.

I can't go back twenty years, but South Greene (several seasons combined) have to be considered at the top.

Unicoi County has also had some great teams.

More locally, I agree with coachh17 - Elizabetthon 2005, and to add, Unaka, same season.

And Matt Birchfield's first state-tournament team (Hanson, Story, et al) at Cloudland.

I agree that from REAL Upper East Tennessee, Cloudland's team with Aimee Story, Hanson, etc. was a great team. Lost in the state tournament in the last minutes of the game. Partly because of a player cutting Hanson with her fingernail, then complaining to the ref that she was bleeding. It took our shooter out of the game with literally seconds to go.

But I have to say, this years team is better. If you ask about the best team over the last 3-5 years, I say Cloudland.

For a consistent program, year in and year out over the last twenty years, South Greene and Greeneville get my vote.

The Highlander

South Greene has won Four State Titles and Three Runner-ups under Coach Larry Ricker.

South Greene has won Four State Titles and Three Runner-ups under Coach Larry Ricker.

South Greene Head and shoulders above everyone else. Greeneville is looking to make its 5th straight trip to the Boro. My honorable mention would be Unicoi County of the 80's and 90's but South Greene was always in the way.

To hard to pick a team for a single year. So I went with programs.