bucdaddio

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.

Good article and great photos on tricitiessports.com

thanks to them for the coverage.

Tim Campbell does a great job! Mo East had bigger strong and more athletes than Boone but somehow he gets its out of his kids. I think i heard his record at Volunteer is is something like 21-2 with 4 titles. Isn't the district at volunteer

this year? Congrad's..

Here's the story, thanks to tricititessports.com........................

By Brian Tate

TriCitiesSports.com

December 22, 2007

Church Hill ??” Volunteer High School Gymnasium is like a second home to the Daniel Boone Lady Trailblazers. Saturday night, Tim Campbell??™s team captured their sixth Volunteer Classic title, improving Coach Campbell??™s record on the Volunteer floor to an unofficial 19-1.

Daniel Boone used timely scoring and a tenacious defense to put away Morristown East??™s Lady Hurricanes 51-38.

Tournament MVP, Megan Caldwell, kick-started the Boone offense with eight of the champions' 14 points in the opening stanza. Morristown East??™s Kayla Orrick kept her team close, chipping in six points as the Lady Hurricanes trailed 14-8 at the end of the first period.

The Lady Trailblazers turned up the defensive intensity in the second period, holding Morristown East without a field goal until the 3:35 mark. Meanwhile, Holly Nickels, Caldwell, and Kaitlin Harmon were blazing the nets as Daniel Boone built a 12 point lead, 31-19 as the first half ended.

The Lady Trailblazer defense picked up where they left off as the third period began. Morristown East put together a mere six points during the third period while watching Daniel Boone add to their advantage. Two big three point shots by Nickels and Brooke Barnard seemingly put the game out of reach as the Trailblazers built their advantage to 42-25 as the third period ended.

Morristown East turned up the offense during the fourth period and when Samantha Hale connected on a three pointer at the 3:28 mark, the Lady Hurricanes pulled back into the game, trailing by six, 42-36. After a Daniel Boone turnover, Morristown East had the basketball with a chance to cut the deficit even more, but an offensive foul and immediate technical foul gave Daniel Boone four free throws attempts. Michelle Stafford sank three of four free throws to push the lead back to nine and seize back the momentum. From that point, Daniel Boone connected on six of eight free throw attempts to seal the victory.

Daniel Boone??™s Holly Nickels and Megan Caldwell led all scorers with 15 each. Kayla Orrick paced the Lady Hurricane??™s with 14.

________________________________________________________________________________

Daniel Boone 14 17 11 9 -- 51

Morristown East 8 11 6 13 -- 38

Daniel Boone (51) -- Nichols 4, 5-7, 15. Caldwell 5, 5-8, 15. Harmon 2, 0-0, 5. Ford 1, 0-0, 2. Barnard 1, 0-0, 3. McGill 1, 0-0, 2. TEAM 16, 15-25, 51.

Morristown East (38) -- Blaylock 3,2-3,8. Hale 1,3-5,6. Tharp 0,0-2,0. Leeper 1, 3-3, 5. Swagerty 1, 3-4, 5. Orrick 5, 4-4, 14. TEAM 11,18-21,38.

Three Point Goals: Boone 4 (Nichols 2, Harmon, Barnard) East 1 (Hale)

Dang! If I'd known it was going to be that close, I would have stopped on the way to Church Hill and got a couple of packs of ketchup, for flavor. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

buc,

you seem to know a lot about what goes on in upper east tn girls bball. Heard anything about this being anderson's last year at volunteer? I've heard everything from he's giving it up to watch his daughter play next year to a lot of parents and kids are fed up with losing good players and not being competitive to he has had a lot of disciplenary problems he would not address. I also heard a former coach may come back or frye from gate city is being talked to.

any thoughts anyone?

Tim Campbell does a great job! Mo East had bigger strong and more athletes than Boone but somehow he gets its out of his kids. I think i heard his record at Volunteer is is something like 21-2 with 4 titles. Isn't the district at volunteer

this year? Congrad's..

how was mo east bigger and stronger...very physical game but not initiated by east...boone has a good team...the technical near the end was a display of referee spotlighting....fouling underneath...foul gets called and girl asks referee to watch the other girl rabbit punching please..."T" what a joke. other than that it was a good game between the players...

buc,

you seem to know a lot about what goes on in upper east tn girls bball. Heard anything about this being anderson's last year at volunteer? I've heard everything from he's giving it up to watch his daughter play next year to a lot of parents and kids are fed up with losing good players and not being competitive to he has had a lot of disciplenary problems he would not address. I also heard a former coach may come back or frye from gate city is being talked to.

any thoughts anyone?

Sorry, haven't heard anything from the rumor mill on my end. I'll keep an ear to the ground, though.

how was mo east bigger and stronger...very physical game but not initiated by east...boone has a good team...the technical near the end was a display of referee spotlighting....fouling underneath...foul gets called and girl asks referee to watch the other girl rabbit punching please..."T" what a joke. other than that it was a good game between the players...

I'd say the physical play was pretty evident on both sides. That's the kind of game that comes from two teams wanting the same thing very badly. Certainly not a case of "referee spotlighting". I think if you check the fouls, that was her 4th (tech. was her 5th), and Boone's post players got their fair share of foul calls. Caldwell had 4, Stafford had 4, McGill had 3. Player got the foul, then backtalked the referee. Same player showed her sportsmanship by showing her displeasure while the 1st place trophy was being handed out. She's a really talented player, made the all-tournament team, she had our team's respect, not sure why she didn't show any in return. I understand the frustration, but everybody comes out on that end occasionally.

Sorry, haven't heard anything from the rumor mill on my end. I'll keep an ear to the ground, though.

I heard lots of parents and players were upset about some comments he made during Volunteer Classic. Remarks about Volunteer girls folding, how good they might be if Leeper was still at Volunteer, his best talent seems to transfer. This would not set well with me either as much time and effort these girls put in to represent their school.

look at the size of the top 7 players from both teams! The ref said the girl from east questioned his ability to call

thats straight from the ref (howard heson).

[i heard lots of parents and players were upset about some comments he made during Volunteer Classic. Remarks about Volunteer girls folding, how good they might be if Leeper was still at Volunteer, his best talent seems to transfer. This would not set well with me either as much time and effort these girls put in to represent their school.

I don't see where any Varsity level players have transferred -- The Leeper sisters left over two years ago due to parents divorcing or they'd still be at VHS. I don't see any other girls leaving and going to surrounding schools. I've talked to some of the Seniors and they've said this has been the best year ever. They've had several of the drama players quit or were asked not to come back out. This seems to be a good group of girls that are coming together nicely and will be even better next year with several strong players coming up. They are a young team.

The comment made about Leeper from Anderson if you read it right -- he was bragging on a former player and if you ask any of the girls they'd be glad to have her back -- nothing was said against any VHS player -- the folding comment was from the Daniel Boone game and not the tournament ---