DII outlook

redmatfan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly Ryan and Baylor are off to strong starts. CBHS is sure to improve and McCallie is always well schooled.

What is the outlook? Top individuals?

Redmatfan----------not sure whether you red is the Big Red of MBA or the Raider Red of Baylor, but if you believe earlier posts by NDHS uberfan Bear Cat Brown, D-II shapes up like this :

1. Baylor School For Boys and Girls, varsity

2. Baylor School For Boys and Girls, JV

3. Baylor School For Boysand Girls, girls

4. The rest of D-II

Once you get out of the red haze that hovers over Chattanooga and across Monteagle Mountain, I think it looks more like a two team duals race between Baylor and Father Ryan. Haven't seen CBHS, but BCB said in a post after the Soddy Tournament that they looked good. So they might be a dark (purple) horse. BA has some good wrestlers, but as a whole team, I'm not sure they are quite at the Baylor-Ryan level. But if they keep getting the kids out, they now have a coach (Cash) can get them there. So, maybe its BA and CBHS for third. MBA and McCalliel appear tobe in the rebuild mode this year.

A Baylor/Ryan duals match-up at Ryan in Feb. would be a barn burner. If---and this is the key---- Ryan gets all of Ryne Miller, Kevin Mix and Zach Hermann back after Jan. 1, they will be tough to beat at 160-285 ( Miller, Goodrum, Mix, Clanton, Hermann)------sort of reminds you of several years back when MBA had the self-called "Fat Four" at 171-285. Throw in Patrick Marchetti at 145 and Ryan has 6 weights it should be able to bank on. Baylor seems strongest below 145-152. That would make it a contest between Baylor's lower weights and Ryan's upper weights. It may come down not to the studs but which team has those underdogs that can keep of their backs and save points by not getting pinned, something Baylor is historically good at. Too bad wrestling fans who don't have a dog in the hunt will have to make a choice between Clarksville or Father Ryan when it comes to where to go that first weekend in February.

As for individuals, for my money two of the top individual wrestlers in D-II are Marchetti and Justin Cash. Don't know if Cash is going to 145---he's been at 152-----or if Marchetti stays at 145-----with a two pound allowance he looks like he good go 140-----but that would be a great match-up.

Buck - the view from my location smack dab in the middle of the red haze is a bit different from BCB's. FR was justifiably the preseason favorite in light of their returning starters in those upper weights. Baylor probably has the edge in most of the lower weights. The difference being FR's strength was heavy in senior / junior tallent while Baylor is much younger on average. Common sense says take the experience. FR has dropped slightly in the polls due to competing without a few of their horses. Baylor got off to a fast start but has experienced a couple of injuries. A match between a full strength FR vs a full strength Baylor on a neutral site is a pick it IMHO. FR has the slight edge with it being be a home match for them. No offense intended to any of those refs that troll here, but one has to also wonder how well the match will be officiated with the tallent diluted between 2 duals tourneys? Anything less than full strength puts either team at a distinct disadvantage. Not sure what is keeping those guys out of the FR lineup? If Baylor comes through, the coach of the year award may need to go to the team doctor. It appears that CBHS is the wildcard capable of knocking off one of the front runners. BA is certainly on the rise but most folks are waiting to hop on that wagon until they win a couple big matches. McC appears to have big problems with 6 past starters quiting the program leaving their best wrestlers as 8th and 9th graders. Hard to figure what's going on at MBA with them also missing several past competitors?

Buck - the view from my location smack dab in the middle of the red haze is a bit different from BCB's. FR was justifiably the preseason favorite in light of their returning starters in those upper weights. Baylor probably has the edge in most of the lower weights. The difference being FR's strength was heavy in senior / junior tallent while Baylor is much younger on average. Common sense says take the experience. FR has dropped slightly in the polls due to competing without a few of their horses. Baylor got off to a fast start but has experienced a couple of injuries. A match between a full strength FR vs a full strength Baylor on a neutral site is a pick it IMHO. FR has the slight edge with it being be a home match for them. No offense intended to any of those refs that troll here, but one has to also wonder how well the match will be officiated with the tallent diluted between 2 duals tourneys? Anything less than full strength puts either team at a distinct disadvantage. Not sure what is keeping those guys out of the FR lineup? If Baylor comes through, the coach of the year award may need to go to the team doctor. It appears that CBHS is the wildcard capable of knocking off one of the front runners. BA is certainly on the rise but most folks are waiting to hop on that wagon until they win a couple big matches. McC appears to have big problems with 6 past starters quiting the program leaving their best wrestlers as 8th and 9th graders. Hard to figure what's going on at MBA with them also missing several past competitors?

WV---I tried to talk some sense into BCB in earlier posts to no avail. He seems irrationally enamored with the Baylor School for Boys and Girls. Maybe it has something to do with a former assistant at Baylor who was his high school coach and should have been your college coach ( if he had been able to coax you and Chuck Bean to join Garrett and Wilson he believes he would have had a powerhouse on the mountain).

I agree with your comments about the location possibly having an effect on the match. The D-II duals will be going from a neutral location to the den of the Purple Irish, likely before a large crowd of Irish fans outnumbering the opposing fans. And if Ryan ends up in the final against Baylor, its likely to be a 70-30 purple to red ratio in that gym. Anyone who has been to a Ryan-MBA match knows how crazy things can get there.When MBA and Ryan wrestled, Pat and Frank have often let brothers Jim and Paul referee the match to make sure everything stays on an even keel------ that is not an option Baylor is likely agree to. So, this final could be like selling real estate----its all about location, location, location.

CBHS and FR will contend for a spot to wrestle BAYLOR in the final, but neither will beat them.

First off tnko, thank you for not using my spinning flowery thing a ma jigy. Secondly I always thought you intelligence rank right up there with some of the big guns. Saying that neither The Purple school nor the Brothers will beat The Baylor School for Boys And Girls ranks right up there in your all-time smartest statements.

Why the change of heart WV?? Just yesterday you said that if the Purple school won 4 matches that they should consider that a victory. Not really people WV would never say that but I thought I would get his blood pressure skyrocketing.

I may have had experienced pre-mature expectation, wait a minute I don't like how that sounds.

Maybe the Purple School should be the favorite in this match-up based on the girly post from the camp of the BSFBAG. "we can't hang with their big guys" " they are so mature and we're just babies" " they get to wrestle in their gym" Good grief boys grow a****. I realize that it's not the politically correct thing to say "my team can whip the snot out of your team" but it would sure liven up this board. I really am tired of reading about Region 69 and how great they are going to do this year.

I may regret this but .......

SOMS the board needs you.

Merry Christmas

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

After this post I fully expect those large checks for TBSFBAG to stop so if any school out there would like me to jump on your wagon and stir the pot here's my # 423-596-8976

First off tnko, thank you for not using my spinning flowery thing a ma jigy. Secondly I always thought you intelligence rank right up there with some of the big guns. Saying that neither The Purple school nor the Brothers will beat The Baylor School for Boys And Girls ranks right up there in your all-time smartest statements.

Sory BCB, but its after Christmas, and I'm just not in the spinning flowery thingamajigy mood. We'll talk again after I replenish my bank account (THANKS HONEY /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />)

I may regret this but .......

SOMS the board needs you.

I saw SOMS at the Sharpshooters wrestling room at the early bird tournament with his next to last boy grapplin but haven't seen him since and don't know where his boy is either. I'll have to find out but I could have sworn I seen him on the computer screen live at the Cleveland/Soddy match on the sidelines.

Why the change of heart WV?? Just yesterday you said that if the Purple school won 4 matches that they should consider that a victory.

Come on BCB, you know that wasn't the purple team I was talking about - it was the blue team. Don't believe it will generate any discussion though as it appears their remaining few supporters have abandonded ship.

Come on BCB, you know that wasn't the purple team I was talking about - it was the blue team. Don't believe it will generate any discussion though as it appears their remaining few supporters have abandonded ship.

WV----you know you've got BCB on the run when he posts a call out for Soms for help.

Over here across Monteagle Mountain and out of the Red Haze, we have not seen the other purple-clad parochial school. Unfortunately, if the post under the Ryan Invitational topic about most of their varsity passing on a trip to Nashvegas and the Ryan Invitational for a recruiting trip to Hawaii ( talk about your no-brainer, even for wrestling happy BCB), then we may not ge a look at what they have. You and BCB seem to thinkl pretty highly of their chances after seeing them at Soddy. Can you handicap CBHS for us? What looked to be their strengths in terms of where they might beat BSFBG and FR?

I will try and squelch one of the most bogus rumors of this season: McCallie did NOT have 6 starters quit this year. From what I can tell, only one returning varsity starter is no longer on the team due to an injury.

It had several very good JV wrestlers quit, this is true. They quit because they saw their weight classes already filled with talent or the additional work ethic put into place this year was simply too much. That means those that are still grappling by the time the Duals comes along will be some of the best talent and in the best condition in Tennessee, regardless of division.

McCallie also failed to replace some of the larger weight classes early in this season that opened up due to attrition. They graduated a lot of big boy talent over the last two years and I'm not talking about just the state champions. The coaching staff will be working to fix that up until the very last second.

It also has had several early season injuries. Some will be out for the season but some (I'm praying at least one in particular) will be back even hungrier than before.

Rest assured, by the time the state duals comes along the early injuries will be healed, the upper weight classes will be filled out much better, and McCallie will be as strong as anyone from 112-150. True McCallie may stuggle to win the duals, but they will still have the satisifaction of whipping a lot of @$$ in Nashville. Baylor and Father Ryan might be in the finals in Nashville, but plenty of individual egos on both benches will be severely bruised up if they had to pass through McCallie to get there!