DII outlook

redmatfan

Allsaints,

First let me say that it's nice to have SOMEONE carrying the EBE torch around here every now and then, running the risk of periodically getting gang-tackled. A hat tip for you for that. That said...

1. Browsing through the records of area wrestlers in the paper each year, it doesn't look as if the starters at McCallie get a "tremendous amount of Varsity matches," much less the JV guys. And, echoing Rocky, do you know any program that has in recent years unnecessarily forfeited more matches than McCallie, passing on chances to give kids "experience and exposure?" McCallie offers their wrestlers a lot of things, but are unusual amounts of "experience and exposure" on the list?

2. If there are McCallie wrestlers who have "a tremendous amount of varsity matches" and "get to wrestle in the State Duals" while "having never won a challenge match," what are the kids who did win their challenge matches doing in the meantime?

3. Whatever the reasons for their leaving (for as long as they're gone, anyway), 5 of the 6 wrestlers Walkenvol mentions have placed in the traditional tournament, rather than being guys who just "saw some varsity time." And the sixth certainly would have this year.

4. What was wrong with the "old" work ethic?

5. What is an "athletic silver star," and how is one born under one? Just askin'.

Again, glad you're around to set us all straight when necessary. See you in about a month. I hope you'll take it easy on us.

Hoosierdad,

I think you probably took allsaints a little too seriously. I read him as simply devotedly defending the EBE from WV's charges of being an "abandoned ship" despite whatever rough seas they may be experiencing at the moment. No biggie.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may regret this but .......

SOMS the board needs you.

Merry Christmas

bcb iii

You know, BCB, clearly the peyote was not a one-time thing. Pronouncing (over and over) the baby redlegs the dominant D-II team of 2007-8, cuddling up to Bradley folks, imagining yourself in the good graces of all but two individuals around here, and now... this? Do you need an intervention? Fortunately, I think a lot more is necessary to summon Soms than just invoking his name: I think that smearing chicken blood on one's face while standing in the middle of a pentagram at midnight holding a dead cat and chanting his name is involved, among other, less savory, things. Or so I heard Walkenvol say. Nevertheless, don't take any more chances. Please.

And put the pipe down.

You know, BCB, clearly the peyote was not a one-time thing. Pronouncing (over and over) the baby redlegs the dominant D-II team of 2007-8, cuddling up to Bradley folks, imagining yourself in the good graces of all but two individuals around here, and now... this? Do you need an intervention? Fortunately, I think a lot more is necessary to summon Soms than just invoking his name: I think that smearing chicken blood on one's face while standing in the middle of a pentagram at midnight holding a dead cat and chanting his name is involved, among other, less savory, things. Or so I heard Walkenvol say. Nevertheless, don't take any more chances. Please.

And put the pipe down.

There you are BRB, I knew it wouldn't take you long to jump on this one. It seems that our meeting at everyone's favorite Notre Dame, has given you a burst of stamina, two post in a roll. Keep up the good work.

We should look at Allsaints as a Hero. This man pretty much by myself has got all 7 wrestlers on his back and carrying them to the promise land. Allsaints is a good man, (not as good as his lovely sisters Monica and Ann, ain't that right Harry?) who has the "you know whats" to stand up for his team regardless of what a bunch of old farts like WV and Hoosyourdaddy and even myself think about his son's school. Does he ramble on and on and on and on, sure he does, but if you were 1 of 12 children you too might drag on too. Keep up the good work allsaints, I think you may have what it takes to replace SOMS.

BRB, you being slightly more intelligent than Moi, have to admit that the goings on in Region 69, the lack of any animosity, and the disappearing act of the EBE have made this board ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Heck I wish that Sissypipe and his girlfriend keefjams would grace our board every now and then. So why not bring out THE MAN, who just by the whisper of his name, has the blood pressure of BayouBear and WV and several others at dangerous heights ?

BRB, I think you need to be the man who stands up and says, " BCB III /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> , is correct and TBSFBAG will once again be the top dog". I can just imagine VA and BM ( who I pinned in 7 seconds) screaming at the computer " is there no one out there, who will speak the truth, besides bcb iii". My guess is no. So until one of your pantywaist men or women stand up and proclaim " We are the King of the Girly Div 2 ". my backing will be silent.

The pipeless

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

WV---I tried to talk some sense into BCB in earlier posts to no avail. He seems irrationally enamored with the Baylor School for Boys and Girls. Maybe it has something to do with a former assistant at Baylor who was his high school coach and should have been your college coach ( if he had been able to coax you and Chuck Bean to join Garrett and Wilson he believes he would have had a powerhouse on the mountain).

I agree with your comments about the location possibly having an effect on the match. The D-II duals will be going from a neutral location to the den of the Purple Irish, likely before a large crowd of Irish fans outnumbering the opposing fans. And if Ryan ends up in the final against Baylor, its likely to be a 70-30 purple to red ratio in that gym. Anyone who has been to a Ryan-MBA match knows how crazy things can get there.When MBA and Ryan wrestled, Pat and Frank have often let brothers Jim and Paul referee the match to make sure everything stays on an even keel------ that is not an option Baylor is likely agree to. So, this final could be like selling real estate----its all about location, location, location.

I am not ready to make Team predictions yet, but don't underestimate the Baylor fans. The last few years they have far outnumbered Father Ryan at the duals despite Ryan being much closer. We have already booked a hotel for friday nights annual all night "Pep Rally". BCB we hope you will join us again as some of our "All Star" fans from previous years have already committed. Would like to send out a special invitation to Allsaints (aka Sgt Alvin York)who stands (writes) bravely for the EBE. It appears you may be in Nashville alone and we would welcome you to join us.

Baylor just beat Park Hill of Kansas City, MO by three points at Kyle Maynard Duals. Park Hill beat Father Ryan earlier in the day by about six points. Baylor was up by six going into the final match and lost by decision. Father Ryan was down by three going into the final match and lost by decision. Could be some fun at the state duals . . . .

At risk of being accused by BCB of stuffing the ballot box with illegal votes for Ryan , I'm cutting and pasting this post by In Hoc from the "Indy Tournament 12-29-07" topic to this topic, where I believe In Hoc intended to put it per my request to his post about the Kyle Maynard Duals earlier today (note, in the second sentence,I think he means "Ryan the upper"):

[qoute] In Hoc Signo Vinces

post 50 minutes ago

Post #8

Trainer

Group: Members

Member No.: 87,096

I personally feel the DII dual title match will be between Baylor and Ryan. I think it is going to come down to who can stay off their backs and not get pinned. Baylor has got the lower weights, while Ryan the lower. So in my eyes it is going to come down to two thigs 1. if each team's opposite side of the better half of their lineup can stay off their back and not get pinned 2. Who can win the middle weights 130-160. These two things will decide the match. My opinion (and ya I know i will probably hear from BCB) is Ryan will win a close match, but this is a very hard one to call because of Baylor's great performance at Collin's Hill.

For Walkenvol: McCallie has ALWAYS used a lot of wrestlers back and forth from JV to Varsity. In fact, over the last 3 seasons, I've seen kids be allowed a tremendous amount of Varsity matches, get to wrestle in the State Duals, and letter at Varisity all the while having never won a starting challenge match. For that kind of experience and exposure to a kid that would be left soley in the JV ranks on other teams, the Big Blue coaching staff is the envy of every program. I know that hurts to hear but for those of us who didn't have thier kids born under an athletic silver star, its huge. So whether or not your list of boys saw some varsity time, (all great wrestlers who I would love to see back on the mat) does not mean that all six were the starters for the tradtional state tournament and then quit the team because of some mystery shake up. I don't have the info in front of me but I believe 4-5 of them wrestled in the JV tournament in 2007. Again, bottom line is that the Blue squad already had either too much talent in front of them, the new work ethic was too much, and/or they simply needed a break. Don't blame any of them one bit but it was not a mass walk out from a troubled team as is implied. The Big Blue is still here to put the hurt on.

Is this the same allsaints who two years back chastised the EBE on this very board for the use of "semi pro youth athletes" and just earlier this year complained of the EBE allowing a parent to enter the wrestling room and coach his son during a challenge match? When did you start drinking the blue koolaid? Of the 6 boys I listed, 4 placed at the state tourney in the last 2 years, 1 should have placed at 189 last year, and 1 was displaced from the lineup last year by the midseason transfer - not the bunch of scrubs you infer. I can name kids that won the state tourney who also never won a challenge match so I don't follow your logic as to why you think anyone is envying the EBE staff. Keep sipping that koolaid as the EBE needs a voice on this board since wrestle90, bluewhirlygig and their others have disappeared.

BTW - how did the EBE come out in Oveda FL?

There you are BRB, I knew it wouldn't take you long to jump on this one. It seems that our meeting at everyone's favorite Notre Dame, has given you a burst of stamina, two post in a roll. Keep up the good work.

We should look at Allsaints as a Hero...

BRB, I think you need to be the man who stands up and says, " BCB III /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> , is correct and TBSFBAG will once again be the top dog". I can just imagine VA and BM ( who I pinned in 7 seconds) screaming at the computer " is there no one out there, who will speak the truth, besides bcb iii". My guess is no. So until one of your pantywaist men or women stand up and proclaim " We are the King of the Girly Div 2 ". my backing will be silent.

The pipeless

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

You're dangling your hook in the wrong fishing hole, BCB, and I look forward to your now-silent backing. The Purple Army looked pretty awesome, and, in case anybody was wondering, Mix and Herrman are BACK. Ryan's ready to roll. You, in your current anti-Red fervor, have Buck and others convinced of a great wave of sentiment for Baylor being this great favorite this year, when in fact it exists mostly in your lovable, hallucinogenic-addled mind.

Granted, this weekend was exciting. When the score in the Park Hill match was 22-3, I was already composing my next post in which I made fun of you by comparing that to Ryan's good showing against them. The four consecutive pins forced a rewrite on that, but, nonetheless, I'm sure Ryan is licking their chops in anticipation of luring the young Raiders into their den next month.

I enjoyed bumping into you, too, at everyone's favorite Notre Dame the other day, especially the impromptu meeting with your friend. I didn't get his name, he may have been just some guy, but he was clearly a man of great quality. It was odd, but he reminded me of somebody, and I was humming "Born to Run" afterwards, I'm not sure why. If you see him again, thank him again for the refreshment.

And, regarding Allsaints: I support any effort on your part to honor him. Though, instead of anointing him a "Hero," how about a saint, as his name suggests? I don't know... how about Jude?