Sports injuries- Females

PHargis

The injury "bug" that I have seen hit the school most (not necessarily a sports injury) is that "pregnancy bug". There are over 100 pregnant girls in ONE high school alone!!! I know this is probably a touchy subject, but there is ZERO official education on this in the Putnam Co. Schools. How do you stop something unless you educate the kids about how to keep it from happening.

I realize that educating a kid about condoms can sound like a license to use them, but holy cow, this is crazy. My middle schooler came home a couple weeks ago telling me about an 8TH GRADER that just found out she is pregnant.

I also realize that we are in the "bible belt". I fully respect that, and that is a part of why I moved here, but this is 2008, and kids have access to too much media, trash, information, and we need to educate them about how to use it. Maybe they need to take those bibles and hold them firmly between their knees...that may help the problem.

My rant is over. I apologize to anyone that I may have offended. I have 2 daughters, and although I think I have educated them thoroughly on this subject, I am so afraid that I have not.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The injury "bug" that I have seen hit the school most (not necessarily a sports injury) is that "pregnancy bug". There are over 100 pregnant girls in ONE high school alone!!! I know this is probably a touchy subject, but there is ZERO official education on this in the Putnam Co. Schools. How do you stop something unless you educate the kids about how to keep it from happening.

I realize that educating a kid about condoms can sound like a license to use them, but holy cow, this is crazy. My middle schooler came home a couple weeks ago telling me about an 8TH GRADER that just found out she is pregnant.

I also realize that we are in the "bible belt". I fully respect that, and that is a part of why I moved here, but this is 2008, and kids have access to too much media, trash, information, and we need to educate them about how to use it. Maybe they need to take those bibles and hold them firmly between their knees...that may help the problem.

My rant is over. I apologize to anyone that I may have offended. I have 2 daughters, and although I think I have educated them thoroughly on this subject, I am so afraid that I have not.

100 in one high school???????????? Not to highjack this thread.........that is an issue. My nephew is in middle school and I am APPALLED at some of the things he has told me that goes on. I have a little girl and it doesn't offend me....I must admit sometimes I would like for her to be 6 forever.

100 in one high school???????????? Not to highjack this thread.........that is an issue. My nephew is in middle school and I am APPALLED at some of the things he has told me that goes on. I have a little girl and it doesn't offend me....I must admit sometimes I would like for her to be 6 forever.

I wont name high schools, but it is a fairly large one. Still, my senior class (way back in the old days...1983) had over 700 people and only 2 pregnancies in the entire school. None of which were MY responsiblity btw.

100 is HUGE. for any number of students. I feel bad for the kids involved, the parents, and the future of those babies. There is so much that this will change for all of them.

I would love to have kept my daughters at 6 forever also, it would have kept that oldest one from beating me in a game of basketball a couple weeks ago. hahaha.

Love em, teach em right from wrong, pray for them, send them on their way, and then pray for them again. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> There is a country song in that somewhere....I will get to working on it.

If ONE parent looks at this and says...hey...good point, and speaks to their kids (girls and boys) about this problem, then it will be one better than before I posted. that is my only point here I guess. Parents need to talk about this more.

oh, and the 8th grader that I mentioned before.....her bf is a 6th grader. just plain wrong.

I am amazed at the frequency of ACL tears, any good suggestions on prevention?

A few years back the summer team I was working with seemed to be having problems with ACL injuries as well as other knee injuries. The injuries were taking place during the regular high school basketball season, thus costing players important loss of playing time and possible scholorship opportunities.

There was much discussion as to what might be causing these injuries. Although we were never able to pinpoint exactly what caused these problems, it seems that by ending the summer conditioning program(mainly the outside running usually along the lines of cross country, ropes and weight workouts for the legs), and then having a forced break from basketball. Meaning that we played a limited spring schedule of AAU,usually through may. The girls went to camp with Highschool and then there was a break from basketball until really Hooptown. This meant a rest of the body from about july thu september.

The result has been over the past 7 years only two with major injury: only one slight acl tear, she missed about 10 games last year. There was one broken leg (18/19) but, that was because someone fell on it. Now for those of you that think there might be a drop off of ability to play at a higher level. In the last 7 years these players were runner up A ball, State Champions A ball,AA final four 06, knocked out of region 07 by State runner up (Acl, broken leg), and they currently have a great team this season. I also believe that people are underestimating them this season,because most were not aware that 2 of the starting 5 had not been playing all year. the girl with the leg,#2 guard, came back in time to play districts and was not up to par physically or in game shape for district and region.

So I think that these young lady's bodies need the rest, we forget that they get serious about this game at about 12/13 and their bodies are tyring to catch up with their arms and legs. There are probably little tear's that occur during regular playing. With rest these tear's heal, without they just get worse and you get a torn acl or other damage.

I hope this helps you...It has sure helped us

by the way

I am no orthopedist, although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

I dont know of anyone who ever got pregnant while playing a game of basketball. Maybe it should be forced on the kids at that school. lol

I wont name high schools, but it is a fairly large one. Still, my senior class (way back in the old days...1983) had over 700 people and only 2 pregnancies in the entire school. None of which were MY responsiblity btw.

100 is HUGE. for any number of students. I feel bad for the kids involved, the parents, and the future of those babies. There is so much that this will change for all of them.

I would love to have kept my daughters at 6 forever also, it would have kept that oldest one from beating me in a game of basketball a couple weeks ago. hahaha.

Love em, teach em right from wrong, pray for them, send them on their way, and then pray for them again. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> There is a country song in that somewhere....I will get to working on it.

If ONE parent looks at this and says...hey...good point, and speaks to their kids (girls and boys) about this problem, then it will be one better than before I posted. that is my only point here I guess. Parents need to talk about this more.

oh, and the 8th grader that I mentioned before.....her bf is a 6th grader. just plain wrong.

Why don't you go read Good Housekeeping or Better Homes and Gardens /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I dont know of anyone who ever got pregnant while playing a game of basketball. Maybe it should be forced on the kids at that school. lol

well. I got an email 5 minutes ago that says there were 6 (known) HS girls in the state of TN last year that were pregnant during the basketball season. They were all dropped from the teams as "academic" casualties or reported false injuries. That is just 6 that this reliable source knows of. You will never get the source from me, so you dont have to believe me.I do firmly believe in what you are saying though. Keep them in sports and they will most likely keep out of such trouble. It will help anyways.

Why don't you go read Good Housekeeping or Better Homes and Gardens /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I am sorry that my posting standards do not match yours. Oh, wait. No Im not. Proceed onward.

Some say if you play baskettball,it is your life. Well, If you choose it and it is a way of life. They are viqorous practice's nearly everyday. Weight training, then ball games that are rough and tough. Then here we go they have homework and some still have chore's at home church and social functions then boyfriend/girlfriend and we wonder why there are injuries not enough time to heal is the whole thing. These kid's are pushed to their limits with no time to rest properly. Tired wore out player's are more apt to have injuries. I feel for these kid's..They work harder than most do at work. If your committed to play sports of any kind you gotta ask your self sometime is it worth it in the end. What Happens when you get a lil age on you? What's your future after ball? Is there life after sports? You make it what you will. My hopes are the serious ball player takes care of their self. With proper training and education you can have a healthy life during and after ball.

Some say if you play baskettball,it is your life. Well, If you choose it and it is a way of life. They are viqorous practice's nearly everyday. Weight training, then ball games that are rough and tough. Then here we go they have homework and some still have chore's at home church and social functions then boyfriend/girlfriend and we wonder why there are injuries not enough time to heal is the whole thing. These kid's are pushed to their limits with no time to rest properly. Tired wore out player's are more apt to have injuries. I feel for these kid's..They work harder than most do at work. If your committed to play sports of any kind you gotta ask your self sometime is it worth it in the end. What Happens when you get a lil age on you? What's your future after ball? Is there life after sports? You make it what you will. My hopes are the serious ball player takes care of their self. With proper training and education you can have a healthy life during and after ball.

That is why Pre-season workouts are VERY important. Getting the body used to the daily "grind" of HS athletics is very important.

That is why Pre-season workouts are VERY important. Getting the body used to the daily "grind" of HS athletics is very important.

But it is also important to understand that these are not 19-26 year old women, usually the strength and conditioning begins while most of the girls are growing quickly and are about 12 or 13, most schools would not go to the lengths to have a trainer put together a program for the age range they are working with, therefore you have a lot of training that is "well this is what we have been doing".

If you want to get a scholorship you will have to out work the other girls. It is difficult to do this when someone who has no idea what he is doing had you lifting and running so much that you blow out your acl and miss your junior season. P.S. thats why a Player like Aleshia Clark ends up at Belmont, when UT was recruting her. I know she is at MTSU now, but everyone dropped her after she was injured except Belmont, they stuck with her.

So I am not against pre-season workouts...just was telling what has worked for us.

Wow, what about some great posts. This has really gotten in to some subjects that this poster had not expected but really needed to be aired out to make posters think. Read just about everything sharpshooter because some great things about 12-13 year olds that need to be checked out in the training situation. IMO, this is important for the safely of the player also. No information was given on shoe inserts, orthopedic. What about those. would they have some use in keeping acl's from happening?

I think parents have to listen to their kids also. When my daughter said she was tired after the end of the AAU season this summer, I didn't really pay attention. We were going over her off season workout schedule & she said it again "Mom!, I'm tired." So she took a break didn't pick up a ball for a while & dropped several of her workout sessions.