Sports injuries- Females

PHargis

This has been a really interesting topic to read! I have a daughter that plays school basketball and softball and on a travel softball team in the summer. We learned very early to listen when she says she is tired. There is a lot of benefit to giving the girls a couple of days off here and there. Her school coaches have done a good job of recognizing that a break can be more helpful than another practice. Ultimately the girls have to feel as if they can take the time to get better without fear of losing their spot. We see too many girls coming to practice with fever or the flu or running the floor with ankles braced and taped because they are afraid to lose their spot. Most of these kids aren't going to play ball after high school, but they will all need the use of their ankles and knees for many years. I appreciate the athletic trainers that force the recovery time and the coaches that understand the need for stretching to be a part of the daily workout. I also appreciate the coaches that say "let's take tomorrow off" so the girls can get homework done and go to bed early for once.

Thanks for the very insightful words you have all contributed to this topic.

Almost 4 years ago when this subject was introduced, There were a very large group of questions and comments on the subject. Thissubject will continue and less you not understand, very likely be answered by a CAT or some professional that has some training in the area. A trainer from UT was on this thread 4 years ago as well as someone, I believe from UTChattanooga and numerous fans in the PT area in Tennessee. and realize you get all of this by this web site being able to remain as viable to you year round. And its only for a very measily $12 a year. How abou joining CoachT and have the ability to communicate with some fine people and parents in theHigh school Sports area in Tennessee. Thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost 4 years ago when this subject was introduced, There were a very large group of questions and comments on the subject. Thissubject will continue and less you not understand, very likely be answered by a CAT or some professional that has some training in the area. A trainer from UT was on this thread 4 years ago as well as someone, I believe from UTChattanooga and numerous fans in the PT area in Tennessee. and realize you get all of this by this web site being able to remain as viable to you year round. And its only for a very measily $12 a year. How abou joining CoachT and have the ability to communicate with some fine people and parents in theHigh school Sports area in Tennessee. Thanks.

It's not "trainer" it's "Athletic Trainer". The Athletic Training credential is not "CAT" it's ATC. Thanks!

Three to four years ago, this site had a subject on sports injuries, females and one of the main injuries besides acls was sprained ankles. While this poster has seen some sprains, the incidence of sprains has gone down quite a bit it seems. At the time there was comments that ankle braces would not help and a lot said they would but one thing is for sure, the anklebrace business must be good because ther are a number of players wearing team on every team. anyone have any comments. I will say the technology associated with braces has gotten much better but the price is a little higher also.

My daughter plays basketball and soccer. She would typically 'roll' her ankle a couple of times a year in school and AAU basketball. We bought a drug store 'cheap' brace for one ankle that seemed particularly prone to the sprains. This year, she had a severe sprain in soccer. Her Orthopedist told us that she has 'loose' ankles, and recommended some high dollar braces. Vanderbilt measured her foot and got her the correct fit (which is also important). They have been worth every penny. Not one ankle roll this year, and she's probably playing the hardest defense of her life. There definitely is a difference in the protection of the more expensive braces. If you see your child's Orthopedist as often as I do, it might be worth asking him/her to give you an evaluation of your daughters knees and ankles. They can usually tell where they are going to be vulnerable, and recommend gear, stretches, etc... to help prevent injury or repeat-injury.

Three to four years ago, this site had a subject on sports injuries, females and one of the main injuries besides acls was sprained ankles. While this poster has seen some sprains, the incidence of sprains has gone down quite a bit it seems. At the time there was comments that ankle braces would not help and a lot said they would but one thing is for sure, the anklebrace business must be good because ther are a number of players wearing team on every team. anyone have any comments. I will say the technology associated with braces has gotten much better but the price is a little higher also.

For those who do not know, the technology associated with braces HAS gotten much better than 3 years ago.

it is very strange but there has been 3 young ladys tear their acl's in less than 4 weeks apart all on the same team....could there be a slight possibilty that it could be caused from volleyball because this year was their first year playing ever?? hope someone can give me an good explanation

it is very strange but there has been 3 young ladys tear their acl's in less than 4 weeks apart all on the same team....could there be a slight possibilty that it could be caused from volleyball because this year was their first year playing ever?? hope someone can give me an good explanation

After going back thru the posts on this site, you may not be giving enough information for a CAT to be able to help, if they can at all. These questions come to mind. What sport were they playing when the ACL's occurred? Did they have a regular program of stretching and warmups before participating? Have they been pushing the envelope as far as rest is concerned during this time? Now, if there is a CAT that might have seen a study on this, there might be some explanation but a specific case like this, This poster is wondering if there can be a response. This comment might be made. It makes no difference what the sport is, a parent or participant should check with a CAT or someone who can give answers on the need for stretching and/or properly warming up along with strength training. Strength training off season and in season might condition the players to the stress of playing. One other question might be helpful. Which leg did the ACL tear? That would be the safe thing to do.

Volleyball is a great sport and the fastest growing sport in girls athletic's, IMO, in Tennessee. Numbers have been released recently on the number of schools by Division that have teams. Very large. It seems that the same criteria might be used in that sport as in other sports. Any CAT want to tackle this?

After going back thru the posts on this site, you may not be giving enough information for a CAT to be able to help, if they can at all. These questions come to mind. What sport were they playing when the ACL's occurred? Did they have a regular program of stretching and warmups before participating? Have they been pushing the envelope as far as rest is concerned during this time? Now, if there is a CAT that might have seen a study on this, there might be some explanation but a specific case like this, This poster is wondering if there can be a response. This comment might be made. It makes no difference what the sport is, a parent or participant should check with a CAT or someone who can give answers on the need for stretching and/or properly warming up along with strength training. Strength training off season and in season might condition the players to the stress of playing. One other question might be helpful. Which leg did the ACL tear? That would be the safe thing to do.

Volleyball is a great sport and the fastest growing sport in girls athletic's, IMO, in Tennessee. Numbers have been released recently on the number of schools by Division that have teams. Very large. It seems that the same criteria might be used in that sport as in other sports. Any CAT want to tackle this?

I think you mean ATC not "CAT". An Athletic Trainers' credentials are ATC. I would be more than happy to tackle this if the person would give a few more details about the injury. Were they contact or non-contact ACL tears? Did they happen in practice? Game?

Are many schools trainers being active enough in providing support information to athletes to help them keep injuries down?

We don't have a school athletic trainer. It's up to the coach's to find preventative methods for players. I wish we did. In my old district in MS all of the high schools had athletic trainers that the district paid for. I guess that's something that each district has the option of providing.

I think you mean ATC not "CAT". An Athletic Trainers' credentials are ATC. I would be more than happy to tackle this if the person would give a few more details about the injury. Were they contact or non-contact ACL tears? Did they happen in practice? Game?

Right ACL during a game two years ago and left ACL this past december, in a game. Both incidents were non-contact, during stopping and turning.

Right ACL during a game two years ago and left ACL this past december, in a game. Both incidents were non-contact, during stopping and turning.

Stopping and turning are the most common mechanism I have seen with non-contact ACL injuries. When you get that rotation of the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone) it really puts a lot of stress on the ACL.

Stopping and turning are the most common mechanism I have seen with non-contact ACL injuries. When you get that rotation of the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone) it really puts a lot of stress on the ACL.

This holds true especially in females more so than males. I had a top othro surgeon tell me that the build of the individual has a lot to do with their chances of tearing an ACL. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />