A Question About TSSAA and AAU

BlueAngels

I'm sure it has been discussed many times on here, but I am having difficulty finding the information using the search mode.

I have a couple of questions that many of you probably know the answers to if you can spare a moment??¦.

1. I understand there is a TSSAA rule that prohibits more than 3 players from the same high school playing on the same travel team. I have also heard different interpretations of that rule. One person I spoke to said it pertains to ALL travel teams, while another told me it applies to just Fall Leagues. Can you clarify?

2. Does this rule apply to incoming freshmen (current 8th graders)? I think the answer is no because they are not enrolled in high school and have not even participated or tried out for their respective high schools.

I would appreciate any information.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it has been discussed many times on here, but I am having difficulty finding the information using the search mode.

I have a couple of questions that many of you probably know the answers to if you can spare a moment??¦.

1. I understand there is a TSSAA rule that prohibits more than 3 players from the same high school playing on the same travel team. I have also heard different interpretations of that rule. One person I spoke to said it pertains to ALL travel teams, while another told me it applies to just Fall Leagues. Can you clarify?

2. Does this rule apply to incoming freshmen (current 8th graders)? I think the answer is no because they are not enrolled in high school and have not even participated or tried out for their respective high schools.

I would appreciate any information.

The 50% rule as I read it just applies while school is still in session. After the school year ends there is no 50% rule.

I was with the understanding it was year round. Because in the past some high school teams played as a AAU team and that what TSSAA was trying to stop because of practices. But I could be wrong or misunderstood

That was an issue with coach's having AAU teams and playing them year round but the new rule that's in place now says that coach's cant be in the gym with their players during the dead period if they are playing basketball. I can't even go and watch my own players play with their different AAU teams. I can't go and support my kids. It's not that I can go to a lot of them but the one's that are close I would like to go and show my support for them but oh well, that's not gonna happen now or I will get my team in trouble.

That was an issue with coach's having AAU teams and playing them year round but the new rule that's in place now says that coach's cant be in the gym with their players during the dead period if they are playing basketball. I can't even go and watch my own players play with their different AAU teams. I can't go and support my kids. It's not that I can go to a lot of them but the one's that are close I would like to go and show my support for them but oh well, that's not gonna happen now or I will get my team in trouble.

It is that way in AL. They have been doing it that way for several years. If you want to find out more talk to a AAU coach there. It works out pretty well.

I was with the understanding it was year round. Because in the past some high school teams played as a AAU team and that what TSSAA was trying to stop because of practices. But I could be wrong or misunderstood

I think you are correct. The last time Jackson Co. won a State Championship, maybe 5 yrs ago, they played in the Jr Olympics in Knoxville. They got clobbered but it made a team out of them. Can't have that ,can we?

I think the rule stinks. I think the T$$AA is over stepping into AAU territory. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

The rule limits the competition for Tennessee teams in AAU basketball.

There are other states that allow year round team play.

Why must the T$$AA have year round control of an athlete?

I thought I would post the e-mail response I received back directly from TSSAA today regarding the 50% rule. It is very clear and I thought it would help clear up some of the questions here (that I guess I started with my question!).

"The 50% rule applies to basketball, baseball, and

softball and only from the beginning of the school year

until the season begins in each sport. In basketball,

this would mean the fall only."

I thought I would post the e-mail response I received back directly from TSSAA today regarding the 50% rule. It is very clear and I thought it would help clear up some of the questions here (that I guess I started with my question!).

"The 50% rule applies to basketball, baseball, and

softball and only from the beginning of the school year

until the season begins in each sport. In basketball,

this would mean the fall only."

The T$$AA needs to clarify that, on their own website. Just to make it stand up in court, understand?

The 50% percent rule doesn't effect AAU at all. Because AAU doesn't start til after high school ball is done, and AAU teams that do start try outs early will gladly wait for any players that may be involved in state tournament with their high school teams. But, as soon as a players team is eliminated from the district, region, or state, or they win the state, those players are free to play (all together if they wish) AAU. And AAU is finished in June, well before the school starts and the 50% rule goes back into effect. The team can even use their own high school gym for practices, if the county school board allows the school to be used by outside clubs or organizations. (There's a Supreme Court ruling on that. It's ALL or NONE with a first come, sponser basis.) The only TSSAA rule regarding high school players during the summer involves contact with their high school coach. I'm not sure that coachgat is right about not even watching the girls play, but for sure coaches are not to be giving any instruction. If you have any questions regarding rule interpretation, you should call or e-mail the TSSAA. I've e-mailed them a couple of times and even had a couple of chats with Bob Baldridge, the Assistant Executive Director TSSAA, on the phone. And while I haven't agreed with them on every item, they have been pretty good about listening and answering any questions that I have had.

Oh, and don't feel bad about being confused about this rule. I have talked to several high school coaches that still have questions or misunderstand the rule. But, the above was straight from Bob Baldridge's mouth.