CPA @ David Lipscomb

matt610

You obviously haven't seen CPA play much. Everyone has done a nice job feeding Z and Miller. It's that way by design and the guys are executing beautifully most of the time. It is true that most of the CPA scoring comes from Hunter Miller and Z Mason, again by design. The other guys are doing exactly what Coach Maddux is asking.

It's by design is because those two (Z and Miller) are prolific scorers. Outside of Anderson everyone else is very limited in their scoring ability. Reeves has a nice spin move and a corner 3, but not athletic or physical enough to consistenlty create his own scores. The others are striclty role players which is what makes a good team. Play to your strengths and the others play their role. It is not that hard to get the ball in Z's hands considering he is the biggest and most athletic player on the floor night in and night out, certainly in this district and even in the mid state area. I wish the guy had some competition this year. It would have been nice to see Z go up against the MLK post player two years ago who went to King college as a freshman when Coach Pitts went up there from BA and I think was freshman of the year in that conference. I don't know if he is still at King or not. In fact it would have been nice to see that MLK team, when Robinson was a junior, play this CPA team. Z has no rival in this district, no one who is even close. At least Miller and Anderson get some competition on the perimeter.

But let's face it, this district as a whole is down this year compared to recent years. This has helped CPA elevate to the top. Ezell and FRA don't have near as good as teams when they were 1A. Hume Fogg may be better than it was last year, but not near as good as it was two years ago. East Lit lost a ton of players off last year's team. Lipscomb has lost Pickens as a coach and some good players over the last two years. MLK is down as well. Pearl has been the steadiest, but without the 6'8" Mason kid, can't match up with Z in the post. These things go in cycles and CPA is getting the benefit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completly agree FRA cannot beat CPA at basketball (cough cough among other sports cough cough)

You walk a dangerous line with statements like this. As stealth noticed FRA ran through CPA a few times on the way to the state soccer title, and FRA leads the midstate in state championships since 2000. Football aside, FRA is more rounded. You also discredit CPA because you come across as arrogant. CPA is classy and does things the right way. They play hard, teach strong values, and have great kids. Do both these schools a favor and be quiet.

As far as basketball goes, FRA put a real strong 2nd half run on CPA earlier this year. The Tennessean shows that after the 1st quarter FRA outscored CPA handily the rest of the way. No doubt CPA is a great team, probably better than FRA, but FRA has a punchers chance and anything can happen in one game. They have been on a solid run, had some very strong road wins (Hume-Fogg, MLK, Pearl), and are well coached. They may not blow teams out like CPA, but they have figured out how to win. An earlier post compared FRA and Ezell in 9AA this year. There is no comparison, Ezell is rebuilding and is struggling (they will recover), FRA is as strong as they have been in awhile and is definetly more competitive than any but the most elite single A teams. Talent does come and go at private schools and they cycle more often than publics, but no question the privates in 9AA are, by and large, stronger than the much bigger publics.

If FRA can handle Ezell and beat Lipscomb at home next Tues. (could be a great game!) then next Fri. game at CPA could be the game of the year.

Oh, by the way, Hume-Fogg has Williamson back and is looking real good. Saw them destroy Ezell. Any given night.

9AA is not down, just very competitive, and could send one or two teams to section (CPA should make state). People should give these schools the credit they deserve (the AP polls are a joke - for most mid-state schools, Antioch, Franklin, CPA, Cent. etc.)

You walk a dangerous line with statements like this. As stealth noticed FRA ran through CPA a few times on the way to the state soccer title, and FRA leads the midstate in state championships since 2000. Football aside, FRA is more rounded. You also discredit CPA because you come across as arrogant. CPA is classy and does things the right way. They play hard, teach strong values, and have great kids. Do both these schools a favor and be quiet.

As far as basketball goes, FRA put a real strong 2nd half run on CPA earlier this year. The Tennessean shows that after the 1st quarter FRA outscored CPA handily the rest of the way. No doubt CPA is a great team, probably better than FRA, but FRA has a punchers chance and anything can happen in one game. They have been on a solid run, had some very strong road wins (Hume-Fogg, MLK, Pearl), and are well coached. They may not blow teams out like CPA, but they have figured out how to win. An earlier post compared FRA and Ezell in 9AA this year. There is no comparison, Ezell is rebuilding and is struggling (they will recover), FRA is as strong as they have been in awhile and is definetly more competitive than any but the most elite single A teams. Talent does come and go at private schools and they cycle more often than publics, but no question the privates in 9AA are, by and large, stronger than the much bigger publics.

If FRA can handle Ezell and beat Lipscomb at home next Tues. (could be a great game!) then next Fri. game at CPA could be the game of the year.

Oh, by the way, Hume-Fogg has Williamson back and is looking real good. Saw them destroy Ezell. Any given night.

9AA is not down, just very competitive, and could send one or two teams to section (CPA should make state). People should give these schools the credit they deserve (the AP polls are a joke - for most mid-state schools, Antioch, Franklin, CPA, Cent. etc.)

I can't speak for others, but when I say 9AA is down it is not disrespecting anyone, it is just the way it is. How can you say it is not down? If memory serves me correctly 3 years ago MLK and Lipsomb were final four state teams, 2 years ago the top four were MLK, Lipscomb, Pear Cohn and Hume Fogg all very good and last year it was MLK, Lipscomb, CPA and Cohn. Outside of this year's version of CPA no other team in this district is as good as the ones mentioned.

I can't speak for others, but when I say 9AA is down it is not disrespecting anyone, it is just the way it is. How can you say it is not down? If memory serves me correctly 3 years ago MLK and Lipsomb were final four state teams, 2 years ago the top four were MLK, Lipscomb, Pear Cohn and Hume Fogg all very good and last year it was MLK, Lipscomb, CPA and Cohn. Outside of this year's version of CPA no other team in this district is as good as the ones mentioned.

Everything you said is true and undeniable. But it would be easier to say the district was WAY up 3 years ago. When the multiplier came in and FRA, CPA, Ezell moved in many questioned whether these schools, who had seen some single A success, could compete with the powers at Pearl, MLK, and Lipscomb. I think these schools have done a nice job and have adapted well to a situation that could have been devestating. The TSSAA website has the enrollment for Ezell and FRA below 280. This is a considerable disadvantage to Pearl et al. Anyway, maybe 9AA will struggle to get two back to state again, but that is not a knock on this league it says more to what they did 3 years ago. Look over this years' records and you'll see that CPA, Pearl, Hume-Fogg, Lipscomb, FRA all have quality wins over good programs at the AA and AAA level. I think it says alot for this league that Pearl beats metro AAA teams and only has three district wins. You are right it would be a good game between CPA and MLK of 3 (4?) years ago. But don't sell 9AA short just yet.

also, everyone get off Z mason like he is the greatest player ever...all you have to do is attack him down low. he commits stupid fouls and hurts his team while on the bench. once Z is on the bench, it allows you to be a little more agressive with Miller.

Wow! What a basketball genius. I bet Coach Maddox and all of opposing coaches that have to play CPA would pay thousands to sit at your feet and learn the secrets of coaching against CPA and other teams. You make it sound so simple. Why didn't the 17 other coaches who have lost to CPA figure it out?

I bet you could even help the NBA coaches solve their problems beating the Cletics. Just attack Garnett, than you can be more aggressive with Pierce. It's so simple! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

easy fella, lets not go on a 9AA bashing rampage. CPA will make it to state, thats pretty much a given, but dont count out Lipscomb at all...they still have a fair shot at going deep in the post-season

It depends on how you define a deep post-season run. The way it is in Tennessee you'd have to get to the sweet 16/sectional game to even think you made a decent run in Tennessee and you could still concievably do that by going only have to be 3-3 in your district and region tournmanets. Not saying it is easy, but certainly easier than a one and done situation and certainly easier when the talent is down in a particular region in any given year. Some will argue that you'd have to make it to state in basketball to have a good post season run due to the system in play.

also, everyone get off Z mason like he is the greatest player ever...all you have to do is attack him down low. he commits stupid fouls and hurts his team while on the bench. once Z is on the bench, it allows you to be a little more agressive with Miller.

I don't think anyone is saying Mason is the greatest player ever. He is currently, in the mid-State, the most dominant player in single A or AA and would be one of the top in AAA. I understand he is in the McGavock district, can you imagine McGavock with Mason? I can assure you Franklin would love to have him as their interior player.

I can't disagree that coaches don't make the necessary adjustments. Not doubling down on Z is ridiculous, but that is easier said than done, but still worth the effort. There is a way to play CPA, just like most any high school team who doesn't have a great starting 5, but either it hasn't been figured out or there hasn't been enough preparation time to execute a successful game plan. Of course with CPA there is little margin for error so it is going to take a great effort. But for anyone to think their system without specific adjustments for CPA's personnel is going to defeat CPA's talent is going to lose consistently.

I don't think anyone is saying Mason is the greatest player ever. He is currently, in the mid-State, the most dominant player in single A or AA and would be one of the top in AAA. I understand he is in the McGavock district, can you imagine McGavock with Mason? I can assure you Franklin would love to have him as their interior player.

I can't disagree that coaches don't make the necessary adjustments. Not doubling down on Z is ridiculous, but that is easier said than done, but still worth the effort. There is a way to play CPA, just like most any high school team who doesn't have a great starting 5, but either it hasn't been figured out or there hasn't been enough preparation time to execute a successful game plan. Of course with CPA there is little margin for error so it is going to take a great effort. But for anyone to think their system without specific adjustments for CPA's personnel is going to defeat CPA's talent is going to lose consistently.

For someone who has had an awful lot to say about CPA (almost like you've known them and been around them a lot?) saying that CPA doesn't have a great starting 5 is ridiculous. There is tons of talent on this team, no maybe not like Z or Miller, but definitely worth recognizing. Maddox has designed how this team plays based on their opponents weaknesses and the obvious strengths of his team, but I guarantee that if you had been watching these guys play you would have seen how great the other guys really are and how much they contribute. Especially the other two starters Peterson and Reeves and even this years new addition Matt Zelenik. Maybe you should watch a game instead of reading the numbers off the Tennessean site.

For someone who has had an awful lot to say about CPA (almost like you've known them and been around them a lot?) saying that CPA doesn't have a great starting 5 is ridiculous. There is tons of talent on this team, no maybe not like Z or Miller, but definitely worth recognizing. Maddox has designed how this team plays based on their opponents weaknesses and the obvious strengths of his team, but I guarantee that if you had been watching these guys play you would have seen how great the other guys really are and how much they contribute. Especially the other two starters Peterson and Reeves and even this years new addition Matt Zelenik. Maybe you should watch a game instead of reading the numbers off the Tennessean site.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I have tried to follow A and AA basketball for several years along with some AAA and I always like to analyze the top teams. In 9AA this year that happens to be CPA and you can learn a lot from the box scores. You don't have to watch a team all that often to know about the team. If you listen carefully to others you can also figure things out. All I am saying is if I was playing CPA I know who I would have to focus on and who I wouldn't. Doesn't the old saying go "do whatever you can not to let the best player(s) beat you?" You are not saying that this year's starting CPA team would match the starting 5 of a team like last year's Liberty Magnet team, are you? Now that was a high school team that had a great starting 5. Just cause a team doesn't have a great starting 5, isn't a slam on the team or the other players. Most high school teams don't have great starting 5's which is why in high school, without a shot clock, adjustments can always be made which can make it very interesting.