Blount County PA Announcers

volunteerfan

After going to games the last couple of weeks, I think Blount County has some of the best PA announcers in East TN. Gary "GovMan" Stinnett does a great job with both football and basketball at WB. Also, I went to Heritage last week, and Dan Talbott does a good job there as well. The guy at Maryville is pretty good also, although he sometimes seems too proper.

Any thoughts from others who have heard these guys? They make the games more entertaining for me.

After going to games the last couple of weeks, I think Blount County has some of the best PA announcers in East TN. Gary "GovMan" Stinnett does a great job with both football and basketball at WB. Also, I went to Heritage last week, and Dan Talbott does a good job there as well. The guy at Maryville is pretty good also, although he sometimes seems too proper.

Any thoughts from others who have heard these guys? They make the games more entertaining for me.

Thanks Volunteer Fan. I love doing p.a. My biggest challenge is to try to maintain as much "impartiality" as possible. Other than adding a little "oomph" to the home team's starting line-up announcements, I like to emphasize the visitors "threeeeeeeeeees" and other good plays on the same level as the home team's. I also try not to "talk too much." I found out early on, you get in trouble when you try to be "too cute." One of the first football games I ever announced was the year WB beat Maryville (99?). I was a rookie and I got too emotionally involved in the game and I believe it was evidenced in my announcing toward the end ... I heard about it from some of my Maryville friends and I think I learned a valuable lesson. You have to remember ... it's not tv announcing, it's not a radio broadcast, it public address announcing. Sometimes, less is better.

Oh yeah, Johnny Webb does the baskeball p.a. at Alcoa now ... not sure about football. He's got the purest, best voice of any p.a. guy I've heard. He's smooth.