Who will we see at State this year?

Thatsmygirl

Well I'm still pulling for Unicoi. I think this will be there to return to state even though they lost six seniors last year. They still have there "ace" pitcher, Jessica Mason, she will be one of only two seniors this year. I hear they also have an outstanding Freshman pitcher who lead her travel team to 2 world series wins this past summer. They also have 4 Juniors that should be starting for them including there Shortstop from last year and their left fielder, who will be catching this year. Even though there team is young and mainly Freshman, their starters are expeirenced from many years of travel ball.

I got to see the 14U team from Unicoi play in travel ball last summer. They had a good bunch of girls. They should be strong for the the next couple of years.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What teams will we see? Any repeat winners or any new teams.

My picks for state champs are

AAA-Riverdale

AA- Goodpasture

A - Trinty

II - GPS

Coalfield Dist. 4 A. should be in the top 5 at State, and should win their Dist. They will be starting a 8th grader on the mound. Lots of folks in the area has faced her at Travel Ball level, she has a USSSA State Championship title and a runner up this past year. If they can put runs on the board they will win a State Title in the next 5 years.............

Anyone else ever looked at this? I know it is not girls baseball but this is pretty interesting.

(Pythagorean expectation is a formula invented by Bill James to estimate how many games a baseball team "should" have won based on the number of runs they scored and allowed.)

Someone else can probably explain this better but as it relates to softball I would say if your team is giving up as much over one run per game I wouldn't be making hotel reservations for the state.

Last year Riverdale scored (according to CoachT) 264 points while only giving up 35. That works out to .883 % and their actual win percentage was .882....Soddy scored 288 and gave up 51. That was .850 and an actual win percentage of .930. Mt. Juliet was 256 to 59 and .813 and .807 win %.

It is not a perfect science but it does kind of make sense and may help people know early what teams are likely to make it to state. If a team is giving up as many runs as they are scoring they are probably playing close to .500 ball.

The calculation is (Runs allowed/(Runs scrored+runs allowed))= win %.

This kind of works for a season, but once playoffs begin it loses validity because anything can happen in one game.

Don't you mean (Runs scored/(Runs scored+runs allowed))= win%.

Interesting!

Give Trinity some competition? Please go back and look at the scores of their games in the state tournament...I believe they were all by either one or two runs and went down to the wire, including the championship game... Don't talk badly about single A softball when you obviously don't know anything about any of the teams...

AAA-RIVERDALE

AA- GOODPASTURE

A- TRINITY, NO LOSSES TO A CLASS A TEAM LAST YEAR/I WISH THEY WOULD PLAY UP TO AT LEAST GIVE THEM SOME COMPETITION

JPII in DII.Lost one player off of last years state runner -up team

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> And that player would be the starting pitcher. Have you recruited a replacement. Talley Ho.

How many players are left from that powerful Girls Prep team last year that rolled through the state tournament like a Texas Tornado. If most of them return, its going to be awful tough for anyone to challenge them. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

We had two seniors last year. Everybody else returns.