krichunaka

1) Unicoi County

2) Cloudland

3) Elizabethton

4) Unaka

5) Happy Valley

6) Hampton

7) Johnson County

The Lady Blue Devils eventually wore down the struggling, tiring Lady Warriors, however, the first quarter turnovers are a huge concern. Payge Barnett is very capable at point, but there's more to an efficient offense than getting the ball up court. The Lady Blue Devils are throwing a lot of bad passes from their half-court sets. Still the most talented team of the Seven, but this is a Fundamental problem, not one commonly associated with Glenn Fisher's teams.

Cloudland lost a tough one on the Creek, but bounced back nicely against Providence Academy. Matt Birchfield back-loaded his schedule this season, so there are quite a few lose-able games remaining. This will make the Lady Highlanders better, or send them into tournament play in decline. The smart money is on the former.

The Lady Cyclones haven't lost since their loss to Daniel Boone, 21 December at Volunteer; a nice five game winning streak, the second of which was South Greene. But, does the close call in Afton suggest that Chuckey Doak is that much improved, or that this week's number-three rating is a little too high for Eliabethton? We'll begin to find out this evening, meanwhile, Elizabethton gets the benefit of a doubt over Unaka for third.

The Lady Rangers are becoming a proficient, confident team. Turnovers are decreased, rebounding and outside shooting continues to improve. In December, Kenneth Chambers said he saw enough improvement to feel "very confident" heading toward the challenging, conference schedule. With the negative-two showing in Erwin, followed by the three wins against North Greene, Happy Valley, and Cloudland, Coach Chambers looks like he had it right. Tuesday's game in Cosby is a huge challenge for Unaka; the Lady Rangers have often struggled there.

Happy Valley is on a four-game skid, with a tough match-up scheduled for Tuesday at South Greene. The Lady Warriors got a real paint-job at home against Unicoi County, Friday as time and again the Lady Blue Devils scored inside, and controlled the boards throughout the contest. However, Happy Valley is still a talented team, with several winnable conference games ahead.

After being stunned in Johnson City, Tuesday, Hampton salvaged an overtime, road win in Mountain City Friday. A couple home, conference wins this week - North Greene tonight, Unaka, Friday - and the Lady Bulldogs can begin to salvage the season, and set themselves up quite nicely for tournament action.

Johnson County had a good road win at West Greene, and came very close to sweeping Hampton. The Lady Longhorns are improved, and should win at Sullivan North, Tuesday. The rest of the week isn't very promising: Cloudland will be in Mountain City, Thursday, followed by a trip to Elizabethton the next night.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Unicoi Co. - If they lose to Elizabethton, the Cyclones will be back on top.

2. Elizabethton- they survived an improving Chuckey-Doak.

3. Unaka- they beat Cloudland.

4. Cloudland- it they don't get their shooting back, they might be the number 2 seed going into the tournaments.

5. Happy Valley- they are still a force to be reckoned with.

6. Hampton- as a result of their overtime win against Johnson Co.

7. Johnson Co. they have competed better this year.

Greeneville beat EHS tonight by 14, 52-38. This game shouldnt impact the tricounty 7 as G-ville would likely beat any of the 7 by double digits as well. EHS kept it interesting until the last couple minutes. They need to keep their focus as they travel to Mosheim tommorrow to face West Greene. West Greene is a dangerous team on their home floor, their recent loss to the Longhorns notwithstanding.

My seven rankings are the same as Krich. I still would have Cloudland 1 based on their body of work thus far this year. HV is fading like a cheap T shirt. Unaka is rising like a cathead biscuit. Dang Im talking like Tim Chambers. Just shoot me now...........

Big home win by Hampton over North Greene.

14-11 Hampton after one.

30-26 (19-12) North Greene at the half.

42-36 (12-10) North Greene at the end of three.

22-13 Hampton in the fourth.

Final: Hampton 58 North Greene 55

In the fourth quarter, Hampton went ten-for-fourteen on foul shots, 18-22 for the game.

However, the Lady Huskies also had ample opportunity to win at the free-throw line, but went four-of-nine (one of those, a one-plus-one) in the fourth, ten-for-nineteen total.

This victory puts the Lady Bulldogs at 2-and-2 in-conference, and with a win by Hampton this Fridy on Stoney Creek, things will really tighten up in the Watauga Valley Conference.

Meanwhile, Elizabethton lost at home to Greeneville by 14-points (52-38), while South Greene was winning by thirteen (64-51) at Morristown West.

More later . . . .

Greeneville beat EHS tonight by 14, 52-38. This game shouldnt impact the tricounty 7 as G-ville would likely beat any of the 7 by double digits as well. EHS kept it interesting until the last couple minutes. They need to keep their focus as they travel to Mosheim tommorrow to face West Greene. West Greene is a dangerous team on their home floor, their recent loss to the Longhorns notwithstanding.

My seven rankings are the same as Krich. I still would have Cloudland 1 based on their body of work thus far this year. HV is fading like a cheap T shirt. Unaka is rising like a cathead biscuit. Dang Im talking like Tim Chambers. Just shoot me now...........

Actually, we should all be shot . . . .but for the high cost of ammunition! But that's still awfully funny.

And even though I agree with your assessment concerning the other Seven teams that have to match up against the Greene Devils, I will, I MUST downgrade the Lady Cyclones just a wee little bit, if for no other reason than to irritate coachh17.

Incidentally, the Lady Highlanders play the Lady Greene Devils this Saturday. In Greeneville.

I'm not irritated, Greeneville is very good. Here are my rankings, mirroring the King:

1. Unicoi Co. (Rematch with Elizabethton will be huge)

2. Elizabethton (South Greene and Unicoi Co. loom)

3. Unaka (Beat Cloudland)

4. Cloudland (May move back up soon)

5. Happy Valley (Not quite)

6. Hampton (Earned this spot back)

7. Johnson Co. (Comfortable in familiar territory)

I'm not irritated, Greeneville is very good. Here are my rankings, mirroring the King:

1. Unicoi Co. (Rematch with Elizabethton will be huge)

2. Elizabethton (South Greene and Unicoi Co. loom)

3. Unaka (Beat Cloudland)

4. Cloudland (May move back up soon)

5. Happy Valley (Not quite)

6. Hampton (Earned this spot back)

7. Johnson Co. (Comfortable in familiar territory)

"Not irritated?" I'll try harder.

Cloudland loses for the first time since November, to a much-improved, rival team, and on the road, no less, and you drop the Lady Highlanders all the way to fourth?

Meanwhile, after a sub-par performance in Afton, Elizabethton loses, at home, to the team that lost to your early-season benchmark team, Morristown West - - - incidentally, the same Lady Trojans who lost, at home, last night to the Lady Rebels; and you have the Lady Cyclones rated second?

And, I suspect there's more looming than South Greene and Unicoi County. The Lady Cyclones are pretty good, but they'll be challenged a few more times in regular season play.

Rankings for the week:

1. Unicoi County - With their wins can't rank them anywhere but first. Even though they might not be the best team.

2. Elizabethton - Until someone else beats them in the tri-county will be hard to drop them any lower.

3. Unaka - Big win over the Highlanders. Seem to be playing better as the season progresses.

4. Cloudland - With the big loss on the creek the Highlanders will need to regroup and see if they are able to get to the level they were playing at towards the first of the year.

5. Happy Valley - Just hanging around. Better than the bottom two but not as good (now) as the top four.

6. Hampton - will tie them with Johnson County for the week. Even though they seem to be playing a little better.

6. Johnson County - Have spilit with the bulldogs and also seem to be a lot better then everyone expected.

Someone actually called fouls on her instead of for her?

Don't misunderstand, she is a very, very good player. But sometimes the refs are a bit caught up in it all, and she gets lots and lots of free throws.

Defense I didn't realize she played that. She is a great player but she can be a little lazy. She is a D-1 player but sometimes she plays when she wants to. She is smooth & I do enjoy watching her when she plays.