Coaches vs. Officials

Coach2001

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I want to ask the ref's a question on this thread.

If you haven't heard the JC girls played in a tourney in Ky. and hung with them until the fourth quarter rumor had it before they went you can't beat the refs in ky if your out of state. Whether it was mistakes by the girls that they made, the refs made it hard in the end to keep the lead they had. Even had ky fans appoligizing for it.

Now heres my question just to see if we get the truth...Do you guys do the same in TN as what was said the KY ref's do. Do you make it rough on out of state teams? Does it just seem that way. I am not saying that the girls got totally beat by the ref's but it sure looks that way. I hope that this is not true, makes it hard to have confidence in the system. Like i said good cop, bad cop scenario. thanks in advance probably going to get neg replies but hey i ask so lets see how it goes..

assistant coaches shouldn't say anything. they should just keep up with time outs and wipe water off the floor.

Just because your child didn't get a chance on the JV squad don't hate all assistant coaches. LOL..... What an assistant does is dictated by the head coach. Story time....

Once one of my assistants was standing talking to a player down the bench about what had happened and how we needed him to play the next time that situation came up. It wasn't a confrontational thing he was just explaining.. There was a free throw on our end and the official on that side came over and told me only I could stand the assistant had to be sitting down. My assistant turned around and said, " What if I have to scratch my ARSE, does he have to do that." The other team went down and shot 2 shots and got the ball. A little latter one of the other officials came over and asked how his arse felt now. He said he had shown it enough.

assistant coaches shouldn't say anything. they should just keep up with time outs and wipe water off the floor.

Just to clarify something.... The title of these people are ASSISTANT COACHES'. They are not called assistant practice coaches but people that should be able to coach (NOT QUESTION OR YELL AT OFFICIALS) but coach. People like this are what coaches get upset about. Assistants referred by dragonmaster what officials get upset about. On behalf of all current and former assistant coaches, I take great offense to this post.

Ok, I want to ask the ref's a question on this thread.

If you haven't heard the JC girls played in a tourney in Ky. and hung with them until the fourth quarter rumor had it before they went you can't beat the refs in ky if your out of state. Whether it was mistakes by the girls that they made, the refs made it hard in the end to keep the lead they had. Even had ky fans appoligizing for it.

Now heres my question just to see if we get the truth...Do you guys do the same in TN as what was said the KY ref's do. Do you make it rough on out of state teams? Does it just seem that way. I am not saying that the girls got totally beat by the ref's but it sure looks that way. I hope that this is not true, makes it hard to have confidence in the system. Like i said good cop, bad cop scenario. thanks in advance probably going to get neg replies but hey i ask so lets see how it goes..

I've officiated several intra-state games (ky, virg., ga, fla. vs tn high school) in tournaments and regular season...I personally never take that in to consideration...Some states play a rougher style of play, where some types of rules (hand check, contact with bodies on the floor, etc.) are not enforced as much as in TN....Some states don't have official state associations (ie. TSSAA). In Kentucky, it is my understanding, is that you get certified as a high school official, and then you go out and contract out officiating jobs at various schools- in other words, you are not a member of a particular local association that has an assignment officer....In my opinion, that may result in fans thinking that a little bias may go in to the officials hired by any particular school....I think our system in TN is better, even though many think the TSSAA could do a better job overall with high school athletics...The schools in TN still pay our fees, but at least there is one organization that oversees the whole process.. hopefully requiring more consistency....

As for ky high school bb style of play, they usually have more contact and aggressive play in there games, probably because officials let them play a little more. Just an observation.

I've never witnessed any of my partners through the years ever call against a team because they were from out of state.

I've officiated several intra-state games (ky, virg., ga, fla. vs tn high school) in tournaments and regular season...I personally never take that in to consideration...Some states play a rougher style of play, where some types of rules (hand check, contact with bodies on the floor, etc.) are not enforced as much as in TN....Some states don't have official state associations (ie. TSSAA). In Kentucky, it is my understanding, is that you get certified as a high school official, and then you go out and contract out officiating jobs at various schools- in other words, you are not a member of a particular local association that has an assignment officer....In my opinion, that may result in fans thinking that a little bias may go in to the officials hired by any particular school....I think our system in TN is better, even though many think the TSSAA could do a better job overall with high school athletics...The schools in TN still pay our fees, but at least there is one organization that oversees the whole process.. hopefully requiring more consistency....

As for ky high school bb style of play, they usually have more contact and aggressive play in there games, probably because officials let them play a little more. Just an observation.

I've never witnessed any of my partners through the years ever call against a team because they were from out of state.

Thank you for your time. I am glad that Tn has this system, i understand It a lil better now that you have explained it. I have listen to several that say's the same thing, A diffrent style of ball in Ky and several saying the Ref's are bias toward an out of state team. Whether this is true or not, still doesn't matter you play smart ball, What some do not understand you can have a power house of a players put if they don't use thier heads then it will catch up with them. I will say just like in football play smart not just hard physical ball you have to have a happy medium somewhere to make it to the top in any sport.. Thanks again.... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN COACHES N REFS IS THIS;IF A COACH MAKES A MISTAKE HE GETS 250 PLUS A 2 GAME SUSPENSION A REF GETS A VERBAL YOU MADE A MISTAKE MOVE ON. THAT IS A FACT. IT IS RIDICULUS THAT BOTH ARE ASKED TO BE PROFESSIONAL BUT ONLY ONE FACES THE CONSEQUENSES LIKE A PROFESSIONAL. LETS FACE IT IF COACHES GOT HIRED AS EASY AS REFS .ANYONE CAN BE A REF. NOT EVERYONE CAN COACH.

THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN COACHES N REFS IS THIS;IF A COACH MAKES A MISTAKE HE GETS 250 PLUS A 2 GAME SUSPENSION A REF GETS A VERBAL YOU MADE A MISTAKE MOVE ON. THAT IS A FACT. IT IS RIDICULUS THAT BOTH ARE ASKED TO BE PROFESSIONAL BUT ONLY ONE FACES THE CONSEQUENSES LIKE A PROFESSIONAL. LETS FACE IT IF COACHES GOT HIRED AS EASY AS REFS .ANYONE CAN BE A REF. NOT EVERYONE CAN COACH.

This thread was headed in a good direction, with constructive comments from both points of view until this comment. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

This thread was headed in a good direction, with constructive comments from both points of view until this comment. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

You got that right. Most coaches could not pass a rules test.

i don't think there would be any problems with the games if the refs called like they were suppose to be

called. a foul is a foul, a reach is a reach, and over the back is over the back. if they would call by the rules instead of "letting them play" then coaches and fans should not get upset

because if you do you will get called on it.