Coaches vs. Officials

Coach2001

Two people watched the same game and had different reports of the officials, one says good, the other says bad.

Officiating is a very subjective art. What might be good to one eye can be different for another depending on the 'philosophy' of the person watching the game.

Good reports guys, keep them coming. Also let us know if you had any unusual plays during your game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy that you call roundbelly, was, three or so years ago( in my oppion) one of the worst officials around.

Today he is considered one of the most consistant. That was verified,today, by a parent who had the same observation.

It takes time to develope.

That is great. I have a lot of respect for people who care about what they do. Obviously this guy cares about doing a good job! That is fantastic!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

(and as I think I pointed out earlier, I meant no disrespect in my description....my belly in not exactly perfect!!!) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Two people watched the same game and had different reports of the officials, one says good, the other says bad.

Officiating is a very subjective art. What might be good to one eye can be different for another depending on the 'philosophy' of the person watching the game.

Good reports guys, keep them coming. Also let us know if you had any unusual plays during your game.

The T on MrCoachMcWilliams was one of the strangest, and most unfortunate T's I have seen in a long time. And even worse it was in the last minute of the game and made a huge impact in the outcome.

The teams were under the basket on the far end, he had just called a TO, and was walking out toward the team as it was coming off the floor. As he was walking out, he was also jabbering at the ref. Im sure the ref felt he was just chasing him onto the floor to complain, but everyone else in the gym knew differently.

I have only seen one T retracted in my lifetime. Similar situation, refs conferred, and they took the T away. (This was 20 years ago) Is this something that can happen, or is it final once it is called?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

The T on MrCoachMcWilliams was one of the strangest, and most unfortunate T's I have seen in a long time. And even worse it was in the last minute of the game and made a huge impact in the outcome.

The teams were under the basket on the far end, he had just called a TO, and was walking out toward the team as it was coming off the floor. As he was walking out, he was also jabbering at the ref. Im sure the ref felt he was just chasing him onto the floor to complain, but everyone else in the gym knew differently.

I have only seen one T retracted in my lifetime. Similar situation, refs conferred, and they took the T away. (This was 20 years ago) Is this something that can happen, or is it final once it is called?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Bill, I have not seen the play that you describe yet. I am hoping to get an opportuity to check out the tape.

I will say this, if a Coach is as far on to the court as I suspect he was and he was jawing at the official reporting the time out, I can see the official ringing him up. Albeit, it came at a very bad time for the team. It goes back to communication and people skills. If the coach wanted to ask the official about a play, why not ask the official to come over so that you can speak with him (in the team area). Going near midcourt, chewing on an official in front of a big crowd, in a game that you are leading is probablly not the best idea. It does not give the official much of a choice.

Regarding your question, once you give a technical foul for any type of judgement, its probablly going to rseult in free throws. In the situation you describe, I'm not going to go over to my partner and ask him if he is sure he wants to give the coach a technical foul because if we take it away, now we are going to have to give the other coach a technical because hes going to go nuts after we tell him we changed our minds, "it wasn't really as bad as it looked coach so we changed our minds" .

Hope this helps.

Melton,

I had a technical removed once about 11 years ago.

Opponent shoots a driving layup. We foul, the ball bounces off the the rim and another opponent tips it in. the official comes over and scores the bucket. Being as brash as I was at the time I jump up and yell about the bucket and the official immediately gives me a T.

The other two officials come over and tells him the ball was tipped in. He then calls the two coaches together and tells us he had made a mistake and no technical was going to be assessed.

Regarding your question, once you give a technical foul for any type of judgement, its probablly going to rseult in free throws. In the situation you describe, I'm not going to go over to my partner and ask him if he is sure he wants to give the coach a technical foul because if we take it away, now we are going to have to give the other coach a technical because hes going to go nuts after we tell him we changed our minds, "it wasn't really as bad as it looked coach so we changed our minds" .

Hope this helps.

most of the time when an official calls a technical foul, he or his partners have warned the coach before. its not very many times that we call a technical on the first occassion something happens. during the pregame meeting with the GA, coaches, and security, everyone is told that sportsmanship is to be exhibited throughout the night by the GA and the officials; so, technically all coaches receive their warnings at that time. if a coach comes onto the floor to talk to an official, he puts himself in a no-win situation as far as getting excited about a call. everyone in the gym can see his actions which always speak louder than what he is saying. a good official will walk to his team's huddle area to try to avoid any scenes (and will take a little more than he normally would take from the coach, after getting him off the floor). don't know what the coach in this situation was saying or doing, but, when he went out on the floor where everyone could see them, he again was in a no-win situation; he's going to get a stern warning or technical almost everytime. even if his complaint is legitimate, the coaching box area or timeout huddle area is the place to express it.

most of the time when an official calls a technical foul, he or his partners have warned the coach before. its not very many times that we call a technical on the first occassion something happens. during the pregame meeting with the GA, coaches, and security, everyone is told that sportsmanship is to be exhibited throughout the night by the GA and the officials; so, technically all coaches receive their warnings at that time. if a coach comes onto the floor to talk to an official, he puts himself in a no-win situation as far as getting excited about a call. everyone in the gym can see his actions which always speak louder than what he is saying. a good official will walk to his team's huddle area to try to avoid any scenes (and will take a little more than he normally would take from the coach, after getting him off the floor). don't know what the coach in this situation was saying or doing, but, when he went out on the floor where everyone could see them, he again was in a no-win situation; he's going to get a stern warning or technical almost everytime. even if his complaint is legitimate, the coaching box area or timeout huddle area is the place to express it.

What if the official(s) refuse to come to you during timeout so you can intelligently discuss a situation with them?

I agree with everything you are saying here. I am not saying the ref was "wrong" and I do not believe the coach was out of line either. He was no farther than most coaches go for their huddle area. It was just unfortunate circimstances. As you say, when you are out on the floor (huddle area or no huddle area) you are setting yourself up for a bad situation.

it was a tough spot. but, it is also over, so we deal with it and more on.

Thanks for all of the input though. it is greatly appreciated!!!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Do refs have background checks to see if they have been arrested?? If so, why are refs hired regardless of being arrested for example drugs, etc?? If not hired, /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> If no background check is done. why? I think if someone one has been arrested for drugs, sex molester, etc shouldn't be allowed to ref. Also, why are refs allowed to ref teams that they dislike?? Make no bones about that they dislike the team.

Now holding grudes against a team is one thing. But, taking it out on young ladies 14-18 is ridiculous and not mature.Maybe the refs shouldn't be allowed to ref this particular game?? Just questions. Never know about folks.I would hope that background checks are performed. Cause they're alot of sickoooooooooooooooooooosss out in the world. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Here is one that happened to a friend tonight.

He is an assistant coach at a private in memphis. The game had been physical and one of his girls had driven down the lane. She was knocked to the ground and had the breath knocked out of her. No call. Play was stopped. Coaches were called out to check on her. My friend the assistant said, " can we get some of that contact called." Granted he isn't supposed to address the officials. The 2 coaches talked to the girl and the assistant got up to go get a sub ready. he was walking to the bench and the official asked him if he had a question for him. My friend then asked him why wasn't that a foul and why couldn't they get a charge call on the other end. the official then stated he would take care of him.

He went to the table and told them my friend was to be removed from the game. Granted again my friend can get somewhat napoleonic in his actions, but he received no technical. I feel he was baited by the official.

Ernie or Melton comments. This is just the side of the story I got.

Rule of thumb for officials during an 'injury situation' - get the heck away from the coaches and injured players. It a great opportunity for a Coach to throw a 'shot' at the officials. If the officials would move away from the injury, while still watching the remaining players on the court, you don't have this sort of coach/official interaction regarding the injured player(s).

Also for all officials, never, ever, ever touch an injured player. As tempting it may be to want to help, removing yourself from the situation is the appropraite thing to do.

Is baiting a coach to get a response ever a good thing to do ????? Nope