The Jackson Sun

GCPioneer

It is much easier to cover football than basketball. Only one game a week for 10 weeks of the regular season and then the playoffs (the way it is set up) could go any amount of time with not a lot of local teams depending on who in West Tenn wins. Basketball is 2-3 games a week and it lasts from Mid November to the end of February with a lot of local teams the way it is set up. The Sun does a great job of covering football not only because it is easier but it seems to be the state's sport. I am almost sure that the Saturday paper during football season sells better than any Wednesday and Saturday paper does during basektball season.

And I second the comment on being biased about schools not being close to Jackson.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because you have nothing to crow about don't mean everybody else can't. Solution.... stop reading the polls if you get your feeling hurt that bad. I personally wish they would do a poll on WHINNERS most likely to get offended by winners. I think you would at least make the top 10.....Ritzcracker. LOL!!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Anybody else want to take a stab at that one? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Ritzcracker, now that is funny. It does bring back some old memories of when a coach did call the football team that I played for the "Ritz Crackers" before a big playoff game. In front of about 15,000 people on a Friday night 30 years ago, we had that coaches head on a platter at the end of the game after we destroyed his Martinsville, IN football team. LOL

I disdain the AP polls so much because of the media bias of some of the voting members who give first place votes and high rankings to teams that they cover who are in no way deserving. Not to mention the fact that many of the voters are voting for teams that they don't have a clue about. If you are a voter in the far west end of the state, how can you intelligently disect and vote on teams in the extreme eastern part of the state. Especially in basketball.

By the way PA linZ, teams that I have been a fan of, worked with, or covered as a broadcaster, have won 5 Tennessee state championships in the last couple of years plus one team that went to the state semi finals. Not to mention, my high school won a football 4A state title in my home state this fall to boot.

No, I am not in any way offended by winners. My teams ARE winners with big gold trophies to back it up.

Ritzcracker, now that is funny. It does bring back some old memories of when a coach did call the football team that I played for the "Ritz Crackers" before a big playoff game. In front of about 15,000 people on a Friday night 30 years ago, we had that coaches head on a platter at the end of the game after we destroyed his Martinsville, IN football team. LOL

I disdain the AP polls so much because of the media bias of some of the voting members who give first place votes and high rankings to teams that they cover who are in no way deserving. Not to mention the fact that many of the voters are voting for teams that they don't have a clue about. If you are a voter in the far west end of the state, how can you intelligently disect and vote on teams in the extreme eastern part of the state. Especially in basketball.

By the way PA linZ, teams that I have been a fan of, worked with, or covered as a broadcaster, have won 5 Tennessee state championships in the last couple of years plus one team that went to the state semi finals. Not to mention, my high school won a football 4A state title in my home state this fall to boot.

No, I am not in any way offended by winners. My teams ARE winners with big gold trophies to back it up.

My bad......I thought there for a minute you were going the other way on us.. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />