Change the Singles Qualifying Criteria

CoachCCHS

I think the singles tournament determination should be adjusted. I agree each district should be represented, but it should be the top 2 from each district, boy & girl. Then fill the field with the highest remaining bowlers regardless of district alignment.

We had a young man who was a 210 average bowler, who was left out because he was 5th highest average in the strongest district in the state, while a young man with a 146 avg got in. That same bowler shot 723 in our first team match today and was our top bowler. It is a seriously flawed system in place now. The argument about easy and hard lanes doesn't hold water when we are talking about a kid with a 210 vs 146, so forget about that equation.

It is only the second year, but it needs adjusting immediately!

I think the singles tournament determination should be adjusted. I agree each district should be represented, but it should be the top 2 from each district, boy & girl. Then fill the field with the highest remaining bowlers regardless of district alignment.

We had a young man who was a 210 average bowler, who was left out because he was 5th highest average in the strongest district in the state, while a young man with a 146 avg got in. That same bowler shot 723 in our first team match today and was our top bowler. It is a seriously flawed system in place now. The argument about easy and hard lanes doesn't hold water when we are talking about a kid with a 210 vs 146, so forget about that equation.

It is only the second year, but it needs adjusting immediately!

i see what u r saying....i say the scores yall were putting up...but every one of pages bowlers was hitting over 210+ avgs and they picked 2 bowlers that avg 207 and stuff

"Seriously Flawed" depends on what the purpose of the state individual tournament is. If it's to get participation across the state from the widest cross section of kids from as many schools as possible, I'd argue that it's OK the way it is. It's not an accident that certain regions and schools have consistently great teams and players. Their hard work, coaching, and tradition are pretty obvious and impressive, and they are to be commended for that. But, the number five bowler from such a region needs to worry about beating number four and three from there, and not changing the rules to exclude kids from elsewhere who are doing the best they can under their circumstances. When the tournament is over, the locals are the ones he/she has to bowl against in their leagues and regular season anyway !

The students who show up with lower averages from their regions go back home with more experience, knowledge, and stories to share with their teamates on what they have to do to be competitive. Just reading a score off the internet is not the same as being in Smyrna's atmosphere. This is healthy for increasing the popularity of H.S. bowling simply because students know they have a chance to go to state by being the best in their area.

How is it done in other states ? I know that in NJ there have been H.S. teams for decades in some regions, but not in all. Therefore, the state tournament doesn't have representation at all from some areas. I think I like the TN system better...

"Seriously Flawed" depends on what the purpose of the state individual tournament is. If it's to get participation across the state from the widest cross section of kids from as many schools as possible, I'd argue that it's OK the way it is. It's not an accident that certain regions and schools have consistently great teams and players. Their hard work, coaching, and tradition are pretty obvious and impressive, and they are to be commended for that. But, the number five bowler from such a region needs to worry about beating number four and three from there, and not changing the rules to exclude kids from elsewhere who are doing the best they can under their circumstances. When the tournament is over, the locals are the ones he/she has to bowl against in their leagues and regular season anyway !

The students who show up with lower averages from their regions go back home with more experience, knowledge, and stories to share with their teamates on what they have to do to be competitive. Just reading a score off the internet is not the same as being in Smyrna's atmosphere. This is healthy for increasing the popularity of H.S. bowling simply because students know they have a chance to go to state by being the best in their area.

How is it done in other states ? I know that in NJ there have been H.S. teams for decades in some regions, but not in all. Therefore, the state tournament doesn't have representation at all from some areas. I think I like the TN system better...

I like the way Michigan does it. All districts have about the same number of teams. All regions are made up of the same number of districts. 5 bowlers from EACH team qualify for the regional individual tournaments. The top bowlers in the regionals progress to states. I believe the coach picks his/her 5 bowlers that go to regions. Qualifying is not based on season averages. I think this is really a very fair system as it takes away the possibility of easier lane conditions helping bowlers qualify.

Team qualify by winning their districts. I really don't like Tennessee's system of unbalanced regions.

Also don't be so tough on the Div II bowlers. The top 10 in div II are getting better every year. The kids in Div II are usually always at a big disadvantage when it comes to coaching and lane time. The Div II schools often get zero support from their administration.

I like the way another state does it. All districts have about the same number of teams. All regions are made up of the same number of districts. 5 bowlers from EACH team qualify for the regional individual tournaments. The top bowlers in the regionals progress to states. I believe the coach picks his/her 5 bowlers that go to regions. Qualifying is not based on season averages. I think this is really a very fair system as it takes away the possibility of easier lane conditions helping bowlers qualify.

Team qualify by winning their districts. I really don't like Tennessee's system of unbalanced regions.

see here: TOURNAMENT ENTRY, SINGLES ??“ Schools may enter a maximum of five bowlers in the

singles portion of the MHSAA tournament.

TOURNAMENT ENTRY, TEAM ??“ A school may enter only one team in the MHSAA

tournament and that team may have a maximum of 8 members on the roster. Five students

constitute a team for MHSAA tournament competition. The roster may change from one level of

the tournament to the next.

TOURNAMENT FORMAT/DATES ??“ The MHSAA tournament format will be as follows:

Regional Singles ??“ All singles entrants will bowl six regular games with total pinfall

determining score. (Six Regional events in each Division)

Regional Team ??“ All teams will bowl 6 Baker games and 3 regular games on alternating

lanes. (Six Regional events in each Division) Lane rotation will be even lane right, odd

lane left

Finals Singles ??“ In each Division, the 60 bowlers will roll a six game qualifying block with

total pinfall determining score. The top 16 bowlers/scores (ties will be broken) will

advance to head-to-head match games with bracketing based on qualifying round score.

The head-to-head competition will consist of best 2 out of three match games from the

round of 16 to the quarterfinals, semifinals and Championship matches.

Finals Team ??“ In each Division, the 18 teams will first bowl a qualifying block consisting

of 2 regular games and 8 Baker games with total pinfall determining score. The top 8

teams in each Division (ties will be broken) will advance to head-to-head match games

with bracketing based on first round scores. The Quarterfinal, Semifinal and Finals

matches will consist of 1 regular game and 4 Baker games. All Baker and regular games

at the team Finals will use an alternating lanes format.

Also don't be so tough on the Div II bowlers. The top 10 in div II are getting better every year. The kids in Div II are usually at a big disadvantage when it comes to coaching and lane time. The Div II schools often get very little support from their administration.