What's up with transfer in-eligibility?

lilc3

Wouldn't it be easier to just rewrite transfer elegibility rules?? Such as no transfering in high school sports. Or limiting the amount of sports transfers in a certain amount of years? Have several people in charge of vertification of folks address. Or have the TSAA officials investigate to make sure address are legit. Make surprise visits to make sure that the folks listed on this address actually live there.

If folks are moving because of coaches, then the community and their officials should address the problems.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem devilish is that the TSSAA is not an enforcement/investigative organization.

The schools themselves are responsible to make sure that rules are followed. If something is reported by an outside source other than the school itself, TSSAA will call and ask for a report from the school. If the school gives faulty info, that is what the TSSAA goes with unless someone outside the school continues to push the issue. The key to the process is the integrity of the individual schools administration and coaches.

Well, honestly i can say that if i ever hope to get to college, it will be for atheletics, b/c academics aren't my thing, and to be honest im not exactly rich. same for my friend who is ineligible. Some students have to hope and pray that they will get noticed just to have a college education.

I'm starting to understand the reasons TSSAA has for this rule. But that doesn't make it any easier for the athletic transfers. It still seems so unfair, but at least i understand some reasons. With as many people who suffer from this rule it seems like they would change it

This post upsets me when you say you can't go to college unless someone notices you. To be honest, academics had better start becoming your thing. If you are depending on athletics to get you to college, you are on a very thin limb. Did you know that thousands of young people go to college and play ball on academic scholarships. If they are injured or can not play anymore, the scholarship keeps right on going. You yourself can get into any junior college if you really try. After you get in, you need to force yourself to make the best grades you have ever made, then your choice of colleges will be greater then you ever thought possible. Remember, only a select handful of athletes ever make a living from playing a sport, the academics is far more important. Don't let playing ball lull you to sleep as concerning academics. If you do, long after your ballplaying days are over, you will be very sorry for taking that road. God bless and think long and hard about where you are heading. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Does anyone know what this section of the TSSAA Handbook Eligible Transfer Student section means? According to the Handbook if you fit this description you're eligible. But what is it describing? Is this there to help new schools get started?

E. The student is transferring to a senior high school into the same system into the earliest grade offered at that senior high school, i.e. at the student's first opportunity to move to that school.

Does anyone know what this section of the TSSAA Handbook Eligible Transfer Student section means? According to the Handbook if you fit this description you're eligible. But what is it describing? Is this there to help new schools get started?

E. The student is transferring to a senior high school into the same system into the earliest grade offered at that senior high school, i.e. at the student's first opportunity to move to that school.

Well look who it is??The coach07. Still licking your tail from being kicked out of coaching the middle school girls.?? The coach07 a.k.a the axeman. Hmmm appropriate username since you got the axe.

This post upsets me when you say you can't go to college unless someone notices you. To be honest, academics had better start becoming your thing. If you are depending on athletics to get you to college, you are on a very thin limb. Did you know that thousands of young people go to college and play ball on academic scholarships. If they are injured or can not play anymore, the scholarship keeps right on going. You yourself can get into any junior college if you really try. After you get in, you need to force yourself to make the best grades you have ever made, then your choice of colleges will be greater then you ever thought possible. Remember, only a select handful of athletes ever make a living from playing a sport, the academics is far more important. Don't let playing ball lull you to sleep as concerning academics. If you do, long after your ballplaying days are over, you will be very sorry for taking that road. God bless and think long and hard about where you are heading. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

How can someone get to junior college? I'm a little uninformed about the whole thing. Do junior colleges recruit???

How can someone get to junior college? I'm a little uninformed about the whole thing. Do junior colleges recruit???

They do recruit. Get your coach to make some inquiries on your behalf. But you still need to buckle down and study hard. Look into Volunteer State Community College, Columbia State College, these are just a few. Pull up junior colleges in Tennessee on the web. Write or e-mail the coaches at several different junior colleges and ask if they have try-outs. Give them some background on yourself, but get your coach to follow-up with whatever school you approach. Many colleges have an unofficial try-out. Get to work and think I can do this and will do it. Good luck and tell us later on if you are successful. I wish you only the best. But, but, but if athletically this doesn't happen, you can still go to a junior college, the costs are low, there is assistence available and then show everyone what a good student you can be. If you do this and play ball, you are a winner, if you do this and don't play ball, you still are a winner in every sense of the word. May the Lord bless your endeavors. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

They do recruit. Get your coach to make some inquiries on your behalf. But you still need to buckle down and study hard. Look into Volunteer State Community College, Columbia State College, these are just a few. Pull up junior colleges in Tennessee on the web. Write or e-mail the coaches at several different junior colleges and ask if they have try-outs. Give them some background on yourself, but get your coach to follow-up with whatever school you approach. Many colleges have an unofficial try-out. Get to work and think I can do this and will do it. Good luck and tell us later on if you are successful. I wish you only the best. But, but, but if athletically this doesn't happen, you can still go to a junior college, the costs are low, there is assistence available and then show everyone what a good student you can be. If you do this and play ball, you are a winner, if you do this and don't play ball, you still are a winner in every sense of the word. May the Lord bless your endeavors. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

We're lucky here at our local high school. Our coaches are on the phone and are sending emails to colleges for players that have a desire to play at the next level.

However, when one of our programs wasn't fairing very well, some of the athletes took it upon themselves and sent their own highlight video to colleges. I know one player was picked up to play football in college by doing this.

Your coach should be a very good place to get information on this topic. Talk to him/her and see if they will help.

Of course the above posts are correct, get everything in order in the classroom. You don't have to be an honor student to go to college, hard work and homework can get you there.

Thank you stbulldog. I appriciate your concern. I am a sophmore, and as young as i sound, i'm of course thinking about college at this point. And i love the game so of course i'm wanting to play i college. What year should i start(am i allowed) to start all the junior colllege stuff?

I have been super uninformed about this junior college stuff, so thanks for helping me out.

Thank you stbulldog. I appriciate your concern. I am a sophmore, and as young as i sound, i'm of course thinking about college at this point. And i love the game so of course i'm wanting to play i college. What year should i start(am i allowed) to start all the junior colllege stuff?

I have been super uninformed about this junior college stuff, so thanks for helping me out.

You do these things. Have you taken the ACT test yet. If not, take it, get your score and then see what subjects you need to concentrate on during your remaining time in high school. If you get a 22,23,24 or better, your options of colleges will include junior colleges and Division III, NAIA schools, there are literally hundreds of them. They are all great four year schools (junior college is two years) Start studying hard, please, and I bet you are surprised at how everything will work out. Talk to your coach and share with him or her or some other adult at your school your dreams and how best to make them a reality. Its not time to approach colleges, there is ample time in the future. You call up NAIA, or Division III colleges on the internet and you will have so many colleges to consider later, that it will overwhelm you. But remember, first things first, get those grades up, study harder, sacrifice to make better grades. Work hard on your ball skills. By the way, NAIA is tough basketball competition. NAIA can give athletic scholarships. Division III gives academic scholarships. Try very hard to get yourself in a position to qualify for both types of scholarships. There is a ton of college basketball being played at small colleges all across this nation that is challenging, fun, and you are getting a great education all at the same time. PS. One last point, you don't sound all that young when you are seriously thinking about your future. That is a sign of developing maturity. I will say a prayer for you alot in the future and wish you all good things. Let everyone on this website know if you succeed in the future, we would all enjoy reading it. Take care. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> PSS. Remember whether you play ball or not in college, if you go to college, you have still won the ballgame. Be sure and realize that academic success may just be the ticket to playing ball at some college in the future. Either way you will be a winner.

You do these things. Have you taken the ACT test yet. If not, take it, get your score and then see what subjects you need to concentrate on during your remaining time in high school. If you get a 22,23,24 or better, your options of colleges will include junior colleges and Division III, NAIA schools, there are literally hundreds of them. They are all great four year schools (junior college is two years) Start studying hard, please, and I bet you are surprised at how everything will work out. Talk to your coach and share with him or her or some other adult at your school your dreams and how best to make them a reality. Its not time to approach colleges, there is ample time in the future. You call up NAIA, or Division III colleges on the internet and you will have so many colleges to consider later, that it will overwhelm you. But remember, first things first, get those grades up, study harder, sacrifice to make better grades. Work hard on your ball skills. By the way, NAIA is tough basketball competition. NAIA can give athletic scholarships. Division III gives academic scholarships. Try very hard to get yourself in a position to qualify for both types of scholarships. There is a ton of college basketball being played at small colleges all across this nation that is challenging, fun, and you are getting a great education all at the same time. PS. One last point, you don't sound all that young when you are seriously thinking about your future. That is a sign of developing maturity. I will say a prayer for you alot in the future and wish you all good things. Let everyone on this website know if you succeed in the future, we would all enjoy reading it. Take care. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> PSS. Remember whether you play ball or not in college, if you go to college, you have still won the ballgame. Be sure and realize that academic success may just be the ticket to playing ball at some college in the future. Either way you will be a winner.

Thank you i truely appriciate it. I'm taking into serious consideration this junior college stuff. sounds good to me!!! I'm willing to put in the hard work to get my grades up, and work hard in college to get a good education. I would LOVE to get a degree in coaching or physical education.

Thank you for your posts, they've helped me tremendosly.

I will make sure to let you know how it all goes in the future!