Private Zones may be the answer!

I think I may have found an answer to this debate! The private schools and the TSSAA need to establish geographic zones that do not overlap from which all student athletes must live within. They can grandfather in all of the existing senior high students and then force new students to live within those zones or sit out 12 months just like their public counterparts. This would limit ALL private schools from reloading so quickly and take away the single largest advantage that private schools have over public schools. Anything short of this will not postpone what I think will be a total split!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happen... going to private schools is a choice and they can goto school anywhere they want to. Take David Lipscomb for example, it is a church of christ school and if you want your kid to attend a church of christ school they couldnt under this plan. Some schools have other affiliations where they draw there students from, but i guess if this was the case we could go ahead and split.

Caesar...I`ve got to get to all-star practice right now but will be back later.I will respond to your idea, in the meantime, would you go back and read my proposed idea and see what you think. If it`s bad then point out why. If there are some good points, then what are they. Ignoring others ideas won`t solve anything. Not that we`ll ever solve anything here (LOL!!) but it is fun to exchange ideas.

CYA VG

THAT IS JUST MY POINT! Why should public schools be forced to compete with private schools when there is so much difference in the application of the rules between the two systems? Plus your argument about Church of Christ schools doesn't really wash because if I am correct, I think Ezell-Harding, Goodpasture, and David Lipscomb are all Church of Christ schools! There are schools of every faith in the Metro-Nashville area and I don't think that would really make a huge difference. It still remains a huge point of contention.

First of all, new 9th graders (without an athletic record at high-school level) are eligible at any school that will accept them. That includes their zoned public school, out-of-zone public schools (even out-of-county), magnet schools, and private schools. No distinction.

Second, transfer students (with an athletic record) are ineligible unless there's a corresponding change of residence. Again, regardless of the kind of school.

I will take myself as an example. I lived (during my high school years) way out in East Brainerd. My nearest private school was Collegedale Academy. Should my parents be required to convert to Seventh-day Adventism to send me to a private school?

Or what if a student's nearest private school is (say) McCallie, but she's a girl?

This is another case where Georgia may well have the right idea. When you enter ninth grade, you are eligible anywhere that will accept you (this we would have to modify to exclude 8th-graders with a high school athletic record). Thereafter, you must move into the service area, which they define for private schools as the county--you could also use a mileage radius, but basing it on where other private schools happen to be is just plain unreasonable.

Ok first of all i would like to state that you are way to stressed out apparently being a coach. Everything doesnt have TO BE PUT IN CAPS for people to understand you. There are schools that have certain religious affilations and under your plan they couldnt goto schhol where there religious affiliations where. Take Father Ryan(Catholic) Ezell, DL(Church Of CHrist), CPA(Presbytyrian) and there are others in Nashville. So i really think ur idea is ludicris, but i will say here that i am not against a split.

Zones for private schools is almost laughable, because i dont wanna have the zone with low incomes and have like 20 students per class. I want my Private school in Brentwood/Franklin/Hendersonville places where the per capita income is large.

Franklin has the 24th highest per capita income in the country.

Caesar..,Silverpie took care of the eligibilty points that I was going to make. So I won`t go there, but I will ask you how would you determine where a zone lies? I ask this because whenever most people want to talk about private schools on here it seems like they always refer to Nashville like that is the only place in the state that has private schools. Take Jackson for example. It`s not a great big metropolitan city like Nashville. The surrounding counties aren`t very populus as well. There are 3 private schools here though and the majority of kids at all three schools come from one general area here in town. How would you propose to divide it up or are you saying that a zone consists of a certain perimeter from the school? Two of those three schools are located in that same area and the third will soon be as well. (Trinity is in the process of building a new campus).

Caesar,

I posted this in another thread and copied it here.

I'm confused about your proposal. Private schools currently have zone requirements by the TSSAA. If a student has played high school athletics at a private school, they may not transfer to another private school unless they move residence beyond the private school zone. But the way the TSSAA determines a private school zone is much broader than a public school zone.

For example, if my child went to Friendship Christian in Lebanon and we moved to BGA in Franklin, that could be an intra zone transfer even though the schools are some fifty miles apart (about the same distance as Gallatin and Cookeville). The TSSAA looks at where Frienship's students live and where BGA's student live. If just one student lives in Antioch and goes to Frienship (about 25 miles) and another single student lives in Antioch and goes to BGA ( about 25 miles) then the TSSAA considers BGA and Friendship to be in the same zone. It only takes one student.

If the TSSAA rules the transfer to be intra zone the student is ineligible for private school sports for one year. I know this to be the case because we moved across town in Nashville (more than 40 miles) and one of my children was ruled ineligible.

By the same token, if the same move were from public to public, say Wilson Central to Franklin High, and is at least 30 miles, there is no problem. If my child had gone to a public school and was transferring to a public school, there would have been no problem. Also, if my child had been transferring from a private school to a public school, there would have been no problem. For example, if the student transfers from David Lipscomb to Hillsboro (1 mile), there is no problem. But if it is public to private, then the restrictions apply.

So when you say privates should have zoning restrictions, I'm not sure what you mean. My child lost a year of playing time because they went to a private school. If they had been public, there would have been no such restrictions. Private schools should have zoning restrictions? They already have them!

How about it Caesar?

You know, I really enjoy your post even though we disagree. You are articulate and and have the kids best interest at heart. That's obvious. But VG has a point. You make assumptions and comments about private schools and private school people that simply are inaccurate.

My child was penalized simlpy because they went to a private school. Can you acknowledge that?

[Edited by scout on 6/26/02 9:51P]