New Knox Co. HS

643-dp

I've heard a lot of the same complaints from people at Oak Ridge. What kinds of things does he do/has he done to make so many people feel this way?

And with the principal being from West, I'm guessing the new coach will come from there. It sounds like many of the teachers are transferring from West.

It does seem like many teachers are coming from West high. I vote to rename the school West High @ Hardin Valley.

I hope the coaches stay at West, considering every team in their program is average at best.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How will this affect the talent level of the programs that are feeding this school with the new athletes and students?

I think it is way to eary to know right now. But in my opinion, the way the zone is laid out. That Farragut will be affected very little, if at all. Karns will be taking the largest hit. It will probably keep them in the dark ages for years to come. They will be losing nearly 25 incoming sophmores to HVA, that played on the freshman team, and have been praticapating in winter work-outs. Bearden will lose 5 to 10 good athletes coming out of Cedar Bluff Middle every year.

It does seem like many teachers are coming from West high. I vote to rename the school West High @ Hardin Valley.

I hope the coaches stay at West, considering every team in their program is average at best.

The high social/economic sports...soccer,tennis,cross country,swimming,golf that HV have a shot at being good at are the same ones that West are above average at. Football at West seems to have risen above average given the region they compete in. Basketball has obviously been a disaster. But if you look across the board West is above average at most sports, just not 2 of 3 three big ones that get the most attention. Is HV going to look like a basketball,football school...who knows but chances are probably not. At least for a long while.

The high social/economic sports...soccer,tennis,cross country,swimming,golf that HV have a shot at being good at are the same ones that West are above average at. Football at West seems to have risen above average given the region they compete in. Basketball has obviously been a disaster. But if you look across the board West is above average at most sports, just not 2 of 3 three big ones that get the most attention. Is HV going to look like a basketball,football school...who knows but chances are probably not. At least for a long while.

Seeing as, I can't get fired up about soccer,golf,swimming,tennis, or cross country. This is why I may seem a bit negative on this subject. I have no confidence in the staff at HVA to hire a good football coach or wrestling coach.

I know and have spoken to the best man for the HVA football job. He has interviewed and would put together the best staff in the city. The staff would include 2 former head coaches (1 which is a legend in east tn). He said he is not to confident, he will get the job. I do not have his blessing to give out his or others name, I will not until a annoncement has been made.

If he gets it, I will eat my words.

From what he says, they will annonce next week who has the job. So, I will know then if I will have to move or send my son to Catholic.

I heard today they hired Wes Jones as the Hardin Valley Academy Head football coach. He is originally from Greeneville, TN. He was a standout player and team captain at ETSU in the 90's and has been the assistant head coach at AE for two years. Before being at AE he was a head coach at Cocke County High and Assistant in Shelbyville. He won more games at Cocke County than any coach ever has before. I have met him a few times since he has been here in Knoxville and he is a class act guy. He will be a great assett to HVA. I hope he gets the support he will need to start up the program. He should be a great man for the job.

I heard today they hired Wes Jones as the Hardin Valley Academy Head football coach. He is originally from Greeneville, TN. He was a standout player and team captain at ETSU in the 90's and has been the assistant head coach at AE for two years. Before being at AE he was a head coach at Cocke County High and Assistant in Shelbyville. He won more games at Cocke County than any coach ever has before. I have met him a few times since he has been here in Knoxville and he is a class act guy. He will be a great assett to HVA. I hope he gets the support he will need to start up the program. He should be a great man for the job.

How many games did Coach Jones actually win at Cocke County. If he was such a good coach at Cocke County then why did he leave. Why was he just an assistant at Shelbyville and A-E. Will HVA try to play varsity football in 2008? I do not see how they will get a schedule this year. Will they be able to have spring practice? I wonder what happened to the plan that Kidstaxi was talking about. It sounded very good to me.

I do not know how to feel about this decision. After a little reseach, Coach Jones did have a good record at Cocke Co. So, why did he leave. Another thing that concerns me is Coach Jones' age. Is he going to be mature enough, to start a program and deal with the initial failures? Is he just going to use this program for a spring-board for bigger and better things(being form Greeneville, he has no roots in Knox Co.).

He may be the best man for the job. Time will tell. But, I would not have chose him over Leon Daughtery, who was going to bring in Paul Maynard and Bill Young as assistants. This staff would have brought in a wealth of knowledge, maturity, and stabilty. Just excatly what a start-up program needed. But, this Knox Co. schools where the motto is "let's do it bass ackwards."

I am now writing a check to Catholic.

Is the Leon Daugherty you were talking about the same one that coached and taught at Halls back in the 90's? What qualifications would he have over this new guy? Has he ever been a Head Coach? Sounds to me like the "good old boys" took a beating on this hire! Give this man time to prove he is worth his salt. Sounds like he is young enough to provide energy for a new program.

Good luck coach!