Coffee County Girls Basketball?

ladynred

Marshall CO is AA & is 21-4 & will probably go to the states. No shame there. CC has beaten Cannon, Warren, Tullahoma, Lincoln Co, Moore Co -1A. So what are you arguing there? Next, football finished 2nd this year, & has been in their regions top 4 at least 3 times under Price. CC's football region is not as strong as it's neighbors in 5A, where as girls hoops dist. 8-3A is loaded with strong teams so Coach Scroggins scheduling is pretty good to get the team non-dist. wins.

What is your fix Ladynred...besides getting rid of the coach? If its X's and O's I'd love to hear (read) it.

No fix at all fuzby. A lady can only take so much, I concede to you and Pearlball. CC's problems are because of Westwood's scheduling, poor coaching at middle school, and high school softball taking all our athletes. And I guess as you both said, we just don't have the talent to do better than 5th or 6th in our district year in and year out. I guess we can all look forward to football season in September! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuzby took care of the earlier post for me. And maybe I should have re-worded it. Sure, Westwood has some common non-district opponents. But they don't play the North and South Franklins of the world or anybody from Fayetteville. Harris middle from Shelbyville. But they take comfort in beating Boyd Christian by 50. I understand playing down to SOME extent because Westwood does have smaller enrollment numbers...but playing down doesn't get anyone better.

Lack of dedication outside of November - February...and even then it isn't the best. Look at the baseball and softball programs - two of the most consistent and successful programs at the high school. After the regular season those teams take off and play summer league all summer and play in tournaments against top flight competition across the state. Then in the fall you can drive by and see the baseball kids long tossing nearly every day (or at least before some of these new TSSAA rules put in the extra dead periods). Now tell me how many times you can slide by the gym in the off-season and see the girls basketball players working on their free-throws? Or their left hand? Or three point shots? How many AAU teams take off and travel around and play in some highly competitive tournaments? It doesn't happen. And it isn't becasue coach Scroggins isn't opening up the gym and making it available to them to come in and work. He opens it up when he can open it up for shoot arounds, and even during the season, players just don't come to work the way that it takes. Softball does affect this to some degree but none of the top players right now are on the softball team. Some of the freshman class is though.

I thought it was the Coach's responsibility to motivate the players in a way that they would want to be in the gym working on fundamentals, pick-up games,etc. I feel sure the baseball and softball coaches push the summer league games and tournaments they are playing in. Organization is as much a part of coaching as x's and o's isn't it? I believe if the girls were motivated in the right way with the right leadership they would be doing anything asked of them by the coach. One has to have more than a key to the front door of the gym to be a successful coach. But again what does a woman know about coaching? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I thought it was the Coach's responsibility to motivate the players in a way that they would want to be in the gym working on fundamentals, pick-up games,etc. I feel sure the baseball and softball coaches push the summer league games and tournaments they are playing in. Organization is as much a part of coaching as x's and o's isn't it? I believe if the girls were motivated in the right way with the right leadership they would be doing anything asked of them by the coach. One has to have more than a key to the front door of the gym to be a successful coach. But again what does a woman know about coaching? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

depends on the woman (or man) LOL

depends on the woman (or man) LOL

Guess you are right again Pearly... there's a woman in Knoxville that's pretty good at it... and a man in Conneticut that's pretty sharp too. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Guess you are right again Pearly... there's a woman in Knoxville that's pretty good at it... and a man in Conneticut that's pretty sharp too. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

She is the best . Bruce says so himself. Anyway, I don't know Scroggin's organizational or motivational capabilities. I do know the infrastructure for the baseball and softball "systems" are very deep and very impressive. But, the credit doesn't go solely to the H.S. coaches. There is huge volunteer support for those programs that start at a very young age. My point (which I have obviously jumbled) is that community interest in the stick and ball sports overwhelms any for basketball. That was my point with the "Nov. to Feb.' interest remark. Nobody is working during the off season to build excitement for the basketball programs, we just sit back in December and wonder why we aren't competitve. Some of that indeed is the coaches responsiblity, but I don't see much of a community push for the basketball program (girls or boys).

Ok, i am new to CoachT and this subject, however i have watched Manchester Sports for awhile, so here is my thoughts which is not worth much.

The problems as i see it goes deeper than just coaching its the lack of adminstration for the last few years, if i am not mistaking we have had 4 principles, 3 AD's and 2 director of schools, with a current Principal that does not know what it takes to be successful. Look at her track record!!

Our feeder program is somewhat of a joke. Westwood will not give up the 9th graders so you loose some players due to the fact they dont feel like they are part of the school. Coaching is a big problem in both schools (Westwood and Coffee Mid) and they have no pride in there system and loosing is ok.

Our off season at all levels is a joke, these coaches get paid, and the pay is for the off season as well as the season. You win and lose during your off season work, which ours is a joke.

Scroggins has to much on his plate. Our School System is letting one man coach three sports, basketball, tennis, and volleyball not to mention manage elementary basketball. toooooo much. Girls basketball takes back seat to everthing, which is wrong due to the fact it is a revenue sport, not to mention if you are going to have the program you should have coaches that want and are willing to do what it takes to be the best!!

Bottom line is players dont like Scroggins, there are kids walking the halls that need to be playing but they won't come out because of him. Dont get me wrong its ok to not like your coach but he should be respected and he is not.

Summary: he has to much on his plate and is not willing to work the off season like other successfull programs. i think that he does an ok job in the games, but like i said games are won and lost in the off season. i dont know what kind of freshman team we had, but if we expect any success from them we need to look at our program and make some changes from the feeder program up.

Student Athletics are willing to work and they like discipline, we need to find coaches that are willing to provide both.

Ok, i am new to CoachT and this subject, however i have watched Manchester Sports for awhile, so here is my thoughts which is not worth much.

The problems as i see it goes deeper than just coaching its the lack of adminstration for the last few years, if i am not mistaking we have had 4 principles, 3 AD's and 2 director of schools, with a current Principal that does not know what it takes to be successful. Look at her track record!!

Our feeder program is somewhat of a joke. Westwood will not give up the 9th graders so you loose some players due to the fact they dont feel like they are part of the school. Coaching is a big problem in both schools (Westwood and Coffee Mid) and they have no pride in there system and loosing is ok.

Our off season at all levels is a joke, these coaches get paid, and the pay is for the off season as well as the season. You win and lose during your off season work, which ours is a joke.

Scroggins has to much on his plate. Our School System is letting one man coach three sports, basketball, tennis, and volleyball not to mention manage elementary basketball. toooooo much. Girls basketball takes back seat to everthing, which is wrong due to the fact it is a revenue sport, not to mention if you are going to have the program you should have coaches that want and are willing to do what it takes to be the best!!

Bottom line is players dont like Scroggins, there are kids walking the halls that need to be playing but they won't come out because of him. Dont get me wrong its ok to not like your coach but he should be respected and he is not.

Summary: he has to much on his plate and is not willing to work the off season like other successfull programs. i think that he does an ok job in the games, but like i said games are won and lost in the off season. i dont know what kind of freshman team we had, but if we expect any success from them we need to look at our program and make some changes from the feeder program up.

Student Athletics are willing to work and they like discipline, we need to find coaches that are willing to provide both.

I agree 100% Countrygirl! Glad to get another female's perspective. However, the coaching 3 sports I think is for the "supplement!" Not because he has to coach them. The offseason is the key to winning and ours is a joke. Thanks for your input, maybe the powers that be will put the hammer down for next year. For the sake of girls basketball in Coffee County I sure hope so.l /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

My concern is that nobody really cares about girls sports, and i am also affraid that this problem will get worse before it gets better simply because there is nobody involved that can make any changes, and that is sad because Manchester has always had a stong female athletic program.

It's not neccessarily true that no one cares about girls sports here. Softball is very competitive and the girl's volleyball team was quite good this year. Girl's basketball has not been up to par for sometime and it is true some won't play because of the coach. The question is, who is willing to do the work to establish a program? One man cannot do that in my opinion, however, one man or woman must be able to motivate others to help he/she build a program. The grand enthusiasm experienced back in the early 90's has dwindled year by year to almost nothing. It used to be an honor to be a Lady Raider and it still is....if you play softball.

It's not neccessarily true that no one cares about girls sports here. Softball is very competitive and the girl's volleyball team was quite good this year. Girl's basketball has not been up to par for sometime and it is true some won't play because of the coach. The question is, who is willing to do the work to establish a program? One man cannot do that in my opinion, however, one man or woman must be able to motivate others to help he/she build a program. The grand enthusiasm experienced back in the early 90's has dwindled year by year to almost nothing. It used to be an honor to be a Lady Raider and it still is....if you play softball.

You are right i do think people care however i dont see it getting any better. until someone at the top recognize that there is a problem nothing is going to happen. i have watched Manchester sports along time and i have never seen it this bad. granted we are beating the teams that we are suppose too but that is it, and i really think that Machester has better to offer. i just dont see Sroggins being the answer to the problems. he needs to stick to Volley Ball and give basketball up, but from what i see that will never happen. i still stick to what i said earlier, somebody with some influence is going to have to get involved to make a change!!!

It's still an honor to be a Lady Raider in basketball too! Just need to make some adjustments at the top of the program. The girls have to play for who the administration hires, they don't get to choose their coach. All of you should support each other in the sports, not try to make one sport look better or more important. The Lady Raider basketball program had been to the Region Tournament every year for who knows how long up until the last 2 or 3 years. I don't think the talent suddenly disappeared. CC had athletes that could play for any other team in the district. Just food for thought. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It's still an honor to be a Lady Raider in basketball too! Just need to make some adjustments at the top of the program. The girls have to play for who the administration hires, they don't get to choose their coach. All of you should support each other in the sports, not try to make one sport look better or more important. The Lady Raider basketball program had been to the Region Tournament every year for who knows how long up until the last 2 or 3 years. I don't think the talent suddenly disappeared. CC had athletes that could play for any other team in the district. Just food for thought. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

You are correct ladynred. My choice of words was not the greatest. My point was that a few years back more girls wanted to be a part of the team than the roster allowed. The enthusiasm from the school as a whole just doesnt seem to be there anymore. I did not in any way mean to demean or degrade the current team. They are hard workers and should be proud of their efforts. I apologize for my thoughtless comment. I do agree that something has to change, I hate to see anyone lose a job, but the results simply aren't there.