Coffee County Girls Basketball?

ladynred

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be the system? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Yes, I guess you are right. Doesn't seem to be much interest there in the sport anymore. That's a shame too. Manchester has long been known for competitive girls teams. I for one hate to see them lose that part of their program. Oh, well, thanks shootmore for your insight. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Yes, I guess you are right. Doesn't seem to be much interest there in the sport anymore. That's a shame too. Manchester has long been known for competitive girls teams. I for one hate to see them lose that part of their program. Oh, well, thanks shootmore for your insight. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I think there is interest..........from November to February. That's alot of the problem. In order to compete in our district, you have to have a good feeder program and we simply don't. It seems since Vinson left Westwood, we aren't developing much talent at the middle school/jr. high levels. That isn't a knock on present coaches, it just seems to be the case. Another problem is it is hard to develop young players in the off season because softball is the dominant player in womens athletics here and it is nearly impossible for many athletes to find time to do both well. Understand, I am not criticizing girls for wanting to play other sports-- It is a free country. But , go watch an AAU tournament this spring and you will see the same faces playing from other towns that you have seen visiting our gym on Friday nights.

I think there is interest..........from November to February. That's alot of the problem. In order to compete in our district, you have to have a good feeder program and we simply don't. It seems since Vinson left Westwood, we aren't developing much talent at the middle school/jr. high levels. That isn't a knock on present coaches, it just seems to be the case. Another problem is it is hard to develop young players in the off season because softball is the dominant player in womens athletics here and it is nearly impossible for many athletes to find time to do both well. Understand, I am not criticizing girls for wanting to play other sports-- It is a free country. But , go watch an AAU tournament this spring and you will see the same faces playing from other towns that you have seen visiting our gym on Friday nights.

Can't say I agree with these statements. AAU was in good shape here when the "system" arrived from Mexico. The girls played and softball didn't interfere with any of them. I seem to have been reading where our middle school teams have been doing pretty well the past few years. I also believe the middle schools play the same teams that end up being our competition in high school. So, if the girls keep the same opponents from junior high to high school, then shouldn't they also be able to not only compete but win some games at that level. Just some added perspective Pearlball. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

The Westwood girls finished 12-6 this year - playing teams like woodbury, moore county, boyd christian, woodland, rockvale, s. pitt .............. hardly the same teams the h/s plays.

I remember living in Manchester when there girls won the State Title..Then some parents started complaining the coach was to harsh with the girls and she left the program. Well, some times you get what you ask for.

Can't say I agree with these statements. AAU was in good shape here when the "system" arrived from Mexico. The girls played and softball didn't interfere with any of them. I seem to have been reading where our middle school teams have been doing pretty well the past few years. I also believe the middle schools play the same teams that end up being our competition in high school. So, if the girls keep the same opponents from junior high to high school, then shouldn't they also be able to not only compete but win some games at that level. Just some added perspective Pearlball. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I understand your perspective completely. You want to start a forum to complain about Scroggins. I am not defending the man nor blaming him. All I am saying is there are other reasons for the downslide besides simply blaming the coach. He may well be part of the problem, but you can't blame it fully on him. As for the middle school, they beat the same teams our high school defeats year in and year out (tullahoma,n. franklin, warren county,)and Pedo has already pointed out Westwoods schedule. Oh, also, I don't ever recall a time our AAU program was in great shape. One age group of girls playing a little travel ball is NOT a program.

Ladynred starts this up about every year. CC doesn't have the horses to run the District 8-3A race & hasn't for years. Yes some very good players have come through in the past 15 years since the '93 title team, but I believe they haven't finished any higher than 2nd (95-96) since then. It can't be coaching because Donaldson, Crabtree, & Tipps, all had D-1 signees after '93 & they still had to battle & scratch to finish 3rd or 4th in the district. For CC to play tough the Shelbyvilles & Lawrence Co's etc. with the size & the numbers they have? I think Coach Scroggins is doing pretty well. If only he played in a district that was as conducive to his players talents as its is for CC football then the community would sing his praises.

The Westwood girls finished 12-6 this year - playing teams like woodbury, moore county, boyd christian, woodland, rockvale, s. pitt .............. hardly the same teams the h/s plays.

Let's see pedo, CC played Marshall Co. (single A) I think and lost. Played S. Pitt, Woodbury twice, Moore Co., I do believe you said hardly the same teams Westwood played. Seems pretty familiar to me. Better check your schedule again. But they did beat the other AA teams listed here, if Moore is still AA. Does CC have any hope of dropping down to AA? If so, maybe he can dominate and be Coach of Year. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ladynred starts this up about every year. CC doesn't have the horses to run the District 8-3A race & hasn't for years. Yes some very good players have come through in the past 15 years since the '93 title team, but I believe they haven't finished any higher than 2nd (95-96) since then. It can't be coaching because Donaldson, Crabtree, & Tipps, all had D-1 signees after '93 & they still had to battle & scratch to finish 3rd or 4th in the district. For CC to play tough the Shelbyvilles & Lawrence Co's etc. with the size & the numbers they have? I think Coach Scroggins is doing pretty well. If only he played in a district that was as conducive to his players talents as its is for CC football then the community would sing his praises.

Excuse me, but I don't think I've seen any gold football trophies there either. Are you implying that CC football is dominating anyone? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Let's see pedo, CC played Marshall Co. (single A) I think and lost. Played S. Pitt, Woodbury twice, Moore Co., I do believe you said hardly the same teams Westwood played. Seems pretty familiar to me. Better check your schedule again. But they did beat the other AA teams listed here, if Moore is still AA. Does CC have any hope of dropping down to AA? If so, maybe he can dominate and be Coach of Year. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Marshall CO is AA & is 21-4 & will probably go to the states. No shame there. CC has beaten Cannon, Warren, Tullahoma, Lincoln Co, Moore Co -1A. So what are you arguing there? Next, football finished 2nd this year, & has been in their regions top 4 at least 3 times under Price. CC's football region is not as strong as it's neighbors in 5A, where as girls hoops dist. 8-3A is loaded with strong teams so Coach Scroggins scheduling is pretty good to get the team non-dist. wins.

What is your fix Ladynred...besides getting rid of the coach? If its X's and O's I'd love to hear (read) it.