What will it take for DC to host a tournament

DC2010

I don't post much, but I would like to state one more opinion. Not to knock Hopkins, but if McCord had came over here in 2000 with his discipline and style of play, I'm pretty sure we would have at least one state title and probably one or two more. I like what I'm seeing with the young ball players at DCHS. Oh yea, it's real easy to look in from the outside and tell everyone how you would do it, but it's allot different when your the one doing the job. If you don't believe me try to referee a game, umpire a game or coach a game and listening to the people when things aren't going just right! They will crucify you...........

If coachinhoops is who I think it is he was at DC a few years ago and he did coach I am not sure if he is coaching now but he was a very good coach and an even better guy.

I don't post much, but I would like to state one more opinion. Not to knock Hopkins, but if McCord had came over here in 2000 with his discipline and style of play, I'm pretty sure we would have at least one state title and probably one or two more. I like what I'm seeing with the young ball players at DCHS. Oh yea, it's real easy to look in from the outside and tell everyone how you would do it, but it's allot different when your the one doing the job. If you don't believe me try to referee a game, umpire a game or coach a game and listening to the people when things aren't going just right! They will crucify you...........

If coachinhoops is who I think it is he was at DC a few years ago and he did coach I am not sure if he is coaching now but he was a very good coach and an even better guy.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC thread---NOT. Thread about DC---YUP. I haven't asked what thread I can post on and be assured I won't start because of this post. Why don't you practice what you preach--You posted more than once on Dyersburg's New Head Coach. Was that a DHS thread--NO. you're free to post anywhere you like. Thanks for your expert opinion on how "dramatically" mine have changed. If they don't meet your approval--don't read/respond to them.

By the way---How's the tooth?

Kojak you'll probably be investing in some new teeth too, IF DHS KEEPS TAKING IT ON THE CHIN FROM THE CHOCTAWS!

Kojak you'll probably be investing in some new teeth too, IF DHS KEEPS TAKING IT ON THE CHIN FROM THE CHOCTAWS!

If basketball losses results in investing in new teeth, you have probably gone through a fortune if you've been a DC fan very long. Do yourself a favor and research DC boys basketball for the past 30+ years and see how few years DC has given it "on the chin " to DHS or any other team in the district. Outside of the Fisk,Powell team and the current team for the last couple of years, you know that you've had very little to celebrate. This year's team has the potential to go a long way in tournament play; maybe all the way. I've read positive posts on here about young players coming up, but I don't think DC will have a team any time soon that will compare with the talent level on this current team. Enjoy--savor every minute of ever game; reality may be lurking just over the horizon.

If basketball losses results in investing in new teeth, you have probably gone through a fortune if you've been a DC fan very long. Do yourself a favor and research DC boys basketball for the past 30+ years and see how few years DC has given it "on the chin " to DHS or any other team in the district. Outside of the Fisk,Powell team and the current team for the last couple of years, you know that you've had very little to celebrate. This year's team has the potential to go a long way in tournament play; maybe all the way. I've read positive posts on here about young players coming up, but I don't think DC will have a team any time soon that will compare with the talent level on this current team. Enjoy--savor every minute of ever game; reality may be lurking just over the horizon.

I don't know I hear we have a great "recruiting class" waiting in the wings! LOL

I don't know I hear we have a great "recruiting class" waiting in the wings! LOL

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Just out of Curiosity. How would you guys compare this years DC team to the Back 2 Back tournament teams of the Hopkins era.

How would they match up?

Crittendon - SEC Talent - Recruited by MTSU, UT, and Memphis

Powell - SEC Talent - Recruited by UT, and Memphis

Fisk - Low to Mid Major - Signed and Played 4 years with DL

Morris - Walked on at UTM - Never played- Could have had a full ride to Union

Johnson - Could have played some where

Does this team have that much talent? I hope to see them at the state tournament this year. I didn't get to see them last year.

Just out of Curiosity. How would you guys compare this years DC team to the Back 2 Back tournament teams of the Hopkins era.

How would they match up?

Does this team have that much talent? I hope to see them at the state tournament this year. I didn't get to see them last year.

Man for man, it would be hard for me to say. I liked Butch, but I thinK they are better coached now.

How would they match up?

I believe that the Hopkins team would probably have the edge. The guys this year are very good and very talented. However, top to bottom the Hopkins team would probably match up much better. Blake against Powell and C.J. against Montrelle would be two very good match-ups but the rest of this year's team I just don't think has an answer to Cyrus, Jon, and Brian. I remember someone asking me this question last year and I told him that I thought that Hopkin's team would win by double digits. However, the team this year I think would make it a very close game. I think that the whole of McCord's team plays 110% on every play and great defense that would help make up for their size and talent disadvantage.

Also, was Courtney Jones on that year's team?

I think an interesting question would be how Powell and Blake match up. Perry was lights out as well and was pretty impressive going up against guys like Andre Allen and Derrick Byars(SEC Player of the Year last year. GO VANDY!). However, after watching Blake this year and last year against Liberty, he is no pushover. I ran into one of the DC coaches at the Vandy-Ole Miss game this year and he said Blake just got through shooting out for Stallings and he was impressed. Apparently both of the guys were/are considered in high regards by SEC schools.

I would easily take the Perry Powell team over the Justin Blake team. Perry Powell was also recruited by the "Fightin' Illini" as well. Perry Powell is probably one of the top 5 players I've seen play High School ball. I'm not that old so I never saw the players back in the 70's and 80's play. Perry Powell was THE REAL DEAL! He had a better overall team that surrounded him as well. A true post player in BIG Cyrus Johnson, a great PG in Montrelle Crittendon, a VERY GREAT forward in Brian Fisk, and the best white boy ever out of DC Jon Morris. This years DC team is great don't get me wrong but I would've taken Butch's team over this years team.

I would easily take the Perry Powell team over the Justin Blake team. Perry Powell was also recruited by the "Fightin' Illini" as well. Perry Powell is probably one of the top 5 players I've seen play High School ball. I'm not that old so I never saw the players back in the 70's and 80's play. Perry Powell was THE REAL DEAL! He had a better overall team that surrounded him as well. A true post player in BIG Cyrus Johnson, a great PG in Montrelle Crittendon, a VERY GREAT forward in Brian Fisk, and the best white boy ever out of DC Jon Morris. This years DC team is great don't get me wrong but I would've taken Butch's team over this years team.

That kinda proves my point about the coaching.