the next level

irishFO24

hey andrew, do you know what kind of pull, as far as admissions goes, college clubs teams get at the bigger schools, if any?

I think only varsity status teams can award scholarships, and such. Title 9 has really prevented lacrosse from becoming varsity in the south & northwest. The crazy thing is that most big guy club teams, perform better than the meat of the varsity teams out there. Vandy, GT, UT, UGA, Florida, could easily go varsity & are run like varsity team; you have 50-60 men rosters with 20 that actually play, full coaching staff, $100,000 budget, travel crew... Some like Michigan are funded by the varsity athletics, but don't receive scholarships & the other perks as NCAA athletes.

But most of the big guys it costs to play. Like Auburn's cost to play a year is $1,200- $2,000, SDSU its $2,200-$3,000, Colorado State $3,000+, and some guys only play one year.....

For some teams its definitely worth it though if you're really into it. If you want to play at an SEC school, I'd highly recommend UGA. When we traveled down to play them they were really cool guys, I wouldn't mind buying a beer for them. Their execution and flow was really impressive, and they were very organized. The best thing to do to get help as far with admissions, is to go their camps & summer leagues if they have them, & meet all the players, officers, coaches, and go in as a complete hard charger. And just attack & work hard in the camps & games, and get after it. That's we and most teams look for- humble athletes, that are highly motivated & hungry to learn - as we are.

We run unto HS players every now and then, that are really cocky, and haven't been exposed to college play yet & think they can walk onto Navy or Virginia because they've score a few goals and such, and placed in a state championship. But honestly, players like that can only learn so much, & only peak in high school- when they get to college, they get a huge wake up. The most successful players in college are the guys that always look for ways to get better & that's something the coaches look for. If they really like you, they can definitely find a way to get you into the university. Especially UGA, because they many resources.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crazy thing is that most big guy club teams, perform better than the meat of the varsity teams out there. Vandy, GT, UT, UGA, Florida, could easily go varsity & are run like varsity team; you have 50-60 men rosters with 20 that actually play, full coaching staff, $100,000 budget, travel crew...

Can you clarify that comment? That's a very misleading statement.

Can you clarify that comment? That's a very misleading comment.

Sure can, check out some of the MCLA info right here: http://www.collegelax.us/faq.php

Very good info^

(varsity being varsity-athletic department funded lacrosse teams)

Here's some examples (most team's don't put up their info but these do):

http://www.csulacrosse.com/2007/info.htm

http://www.sdsulax.com/ (the team)

http://www.oregonlacrosse.org/ (about team)

The big 20,000- 30,000 population universities are the big guy club teams.

It's the "Virtual Varsity" types

I think only varsity status teams can award scholarships, and such. Title 9 has really prevented lacrosse from becoming varsity in the south & northwest. The crazy thing is that most big guy club teams, perform better than the meat of the varsity teams out there. Vandy, GT, UT, UGA, Florida, could easily go varsity & are run like varsity team; you have 50-60 men rosters with 20 that actually play, full coaching staff, $100,000 budget, travel crew... Some like Michigan are funded by the varsity athletics, but don't receive scholarships & the other perks as NCAA athletes.

But most of the big guys it costs to play. Like Auburn's cost to play a year is $1,200- $2,000, SDSU its $2,200-$3,000, Colorado State $3,000+, and some guys only play one year.....

For some teams its definitely worth it though if you're really into it. If you want to play at an SEC school, I'd highly recommend UGA. When we traveled down to play them they were really cool guys, I wouldn't mind buying a beer for them. Their execution and flow was really impressive, and they were very organized. The best thing to do to get help as far with admissions, is to go their camps & summer leagues if they have them, & meet all the players, officers, coaches, and go in as a complete hard charger. And just attack & work hard in the camps & games, and get after it. That's we and most teams look for- humble athletes, that are highly motivated & hungry to learn - as we are.

We run unto HS players every now and then, that are really cocky, and haven't been exposed to college play yet & think they can walk onto Navy or Virginia because they've score a few goals and such, and placed in a state championship. But honestly, players like that can only learn so much, & only peak in high school- when they get to college, they get a huge wake up. The most successful players in college are the guys that always look for ways to get better & that's something the coaches look for. If they really like you, they can definitely find a way to get you into the university. Especially UGA, because they many resources.

I'm glad UTC is experiencing growth in their program, but I think I need to clarify some of your points a little bit.

First of all, very few (3 or so) teams in the MCLA consistently perform at or above the NCAA varsity level. Those teams are very organized and well funded, and would include BYU, Michigan, UCSB, Sonoma, Colorado State, and FSU. The MCLA website even states, "many, if not most MCLA teams are coached by part-time volunteers, have small annual budgets, play regional (conference) competition and spend more time teaching the game to new players than refining a team of players who have been at it since their youth."

You were correct about the costs of playing MCLA ball, which can vary greatly. You will notice a positive correlation between cost and the teams that consistently win games. It would not be uncommon to pay $100 a semester at a small school or well over a thousand at a larger school. The amount of time requred for practice is also positively aligned with expense, and the schools that require larger investments usually have stricter, more regimented practice schedules.

Next, MCLA teams have no influence whatsoever in any admissions department, nor do they have any decision in financial aid awards.

The MCLA is a very cylclical league. One or two very skilled players can have a dramatic impact on a team's record. For instance, UT was once very dominate in the SELC, the Auburn had a run, followed by the Florida teams, and now UGA. But, when I played a year for UGA in 2003, that team would have lost to the two or three of the best TN high school teams. I can assure you that other than a very nice field, UGA has no resources other than dues paid by the players. It is a great school, and I did enjoy the year I played though. I would recommend either to anyone.

This is not meant to disparage the MCLA. It's a great league that gets better every year. It's also opening up the game to lacrosse to new audiences all across the country. It also has options for players of every skill level. But it is important to be forthright about the details of the league when talking to high school students who are making decisions about attending college. I would recommend any high school student look into playing lax at any college you're thinking about. There's lots of options out there.

funny you mention UGA so highly, I know they have one of, if not the best program in the south, that is the school I want to know most about, I don't have the type of GPA they averaging, and I was hoping if I talked to the team president he might be able to do a little something, I still have time to get my grades up some more, but I was just kind of curious as to how they might be able to help, I might email the coach/head hancho and see if there are any summer camps that they hold, the only one I know that does that in the club world is GT, but its still worth a shot...I'm not sure I'm on their talent level or not, but I think if you've got the money you're basically on the team (at least as long as you're decent)

funny you mention UGA so highly, I know they have one of, if not the best program in the south, that is the school I want to know most about, I don't have the type of GPA they averaging, and I was hoping if I talked to the team president he might be able to do a little something, I still have time to get my grades up some more, .....I might email the coach/head hancho and see if there are any summer camps that they hold, the only one I know that does that in the club world is GT, but its still worth a shot...

Yeah that's totally what you want to do. If you want it, you can totally do it. Especially getting that GPA up- it's very simple. A buddy of mine Joe, played for GT, I could talked to him about it, and see what he'd recommend.

irish- send me an email brotha

Yeah that's totally what you want to do. If you want it, you can totally do it. Especially getting that GPA up- it's very simple. A buddy of mine Joe, played for GT, I could talked to him about it, and see what he'd recommend.

irish- send me an email brotha

my e-mail dont work mayne

Redtwin is right on with his info about MCLA teams. The sport of lacrosse is seeing it's fastest growth at the club level. Varsity lacrosse is not seeing much growth at all right now, particularly at the DI level. MCLA teams offer students the opportunity to play lacrosse at a realitively high level of competition, without the heavy structure and demands of a varsity team. However, this does vary greatly depending on which university your playing for. The funding these club teams get from their prospective universities also varies greatly. Most schools give their club teams enough money to cover their league dues and uniforms. Team equipment, travel, etc. are paid out of the student's pocket in the form of team dues. Tennessee charged it's players $800.00 this year (I think), where Michigan's players pay $3,500 in dues. In regards to admission, no club team has any pull at all with the administration. Tennesse Wesleyan College is a NAIA school which is why they offer scholorships, but play at a club level. If I understand their situation correctly they will be playing a NCAA DII schedule in 2009.

MocsLax, I'm not sure about the UT roster being all Centennial (SP?) players. To my knowledge there have been 7 or 8 players from that high school on UT's roster in the history of the program.

I know many TN high school players are interested in playing varsity ball after they graduate. Tennessee has had many transfers from varsity programs, including: Greensboro College, Hampton-Sydney, Maryland, Washington College, Wesleyan College, and Limestone. The common thread I gathered from these players is that while playing in-season was great, the rest of their time there was not what they wanted their college experience to be. So if your dream is to play varsity lacrosse somewhere, by all means follow your dream. But, don't rule out playing competitive club ball at a school that has everything else your looking for to help you achieve your life goals. Remember, less that 1% of high school players will be playing lacrosse for a living.

Redtwin is right on with his info about MCLA teams. The sport of lacrosse is seeing it's fastest growth at the club level. Varsity lacrosse is not seeing much growth at all right now, particularly at the DI level. MCLA teams offer students the opportunity to play lacrosse at a realitively high level of competition, without the heavy structure and demands of a varsity team. However, this does vary greatly depending on which university your playing for. The funding these club teams get from their prospective universities also varies greatly. Most schools give their club teams enough money to cover their league dues and uniforms. Team equipment, travel, etc. are paid out of the student's pocket in the form of team dues. Tennessee charged it's players $800.00 this year (I think), where Michigan's players pay $3,500 in dues. In regards to admission, no club team has any pull at all with the administration. Tennesse Wesleyan College is a NAIA school which is why they offer scholorships, but play at a club level. If I understand their situation correctly they will be playing a NCAA DII schedule in 2009.

MocsLax, I'm not sure about the UT roster being all Centennial (SP?) players. To my knowledge there have been 7 or 8 players from that high school on UT's roster in the history of the program.

I know many TN high school players are interested in playing varsity ball after they graduate. Tennessee has had many transfers from varsity programs, including: Greensboro College, Hampton-Sydney, Maryland, Washington College, Wesleyan College, and Limestone. The common thread I gathered from these players is that while playing in-season was great, the rest of their time there was not what they wanted their college experience to be. So if your dream is to play varsity lacrosse somewhere, by all means follow your dream. But, don't rule out playing competitive club ball at a school that has everything else your looking for to help you achieve your life goals. Remember, less that 1% of high school players will be playing lacrosse for a living.

hey, utlax twc is playing in the selc II is that considered naia?

Faith, the NAIA is like the NCAA for small schools, they are an athletic governing body. The NAIA does not sanction lacrosse, so teams like TWC, and Lindenwood in Missouri, play in the MCLA. I had read on Laxpower that TWC was going to play a NCAA DII schedule next year, so I'm assuming that they are moving from the NAIA to the NCAA. The MCLA does not accept teams at schools that have varsity lacrosse teams, so if TWC is going varsity in the NCAA they will not be allowed to compete in the SELC.