Kingston Lady Yellowjackets`

JACKETDAD

SIMPLE OPINION FROM AN OUTSIDE OBSERVER TRANSPLANTED INTO KINGSTON.

BOYS AND GIRLS TEAMS LOSING TALENT SUCH AS SMITH, PARKS AND HOOD ARE HUGE. THESE ARE BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

WHY ARE THEY LEAVING ?

LACK OF COMMITMENT BY COACHES AND INDIVUAL PLAYERS TO IMPROVE THE OVERALL BASKETBALL PROGRAM. THIS INCLUDES DURING THE SEASON AND THE OFF SEASON. HAS TO START WITH THE COACHES.

Most of the time it's for earlier playing time, specifically as a freshman.

Hood........can't say he wanted to play for a winning program, LC was not very good when he got there and is in a tough region. Would have played as a freshman at RCHS. I think father just wasn't comfortable w/ the situation.

Smith.......played considerable minutes as a freshman, I think even started most of the year.

So---maybe the grass is greener in their eyes.

Gentry quit. Asked to come back. Voted on by team and was not wanted back.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Need water also.

It ain't the x's and o's..........it's the jimmys and joes.

Much wisdom in that statement.

How good would OS girls have been the last few years w/o the likes of Hall, Monk, Christopher? Someone has to make shots. How good would Harriman have been in '94-'95 w/o Copeland and Boyd?

How many hours has RCHS girls spent ON THEIR OWN working on ball handling/shooting/etc.?

RCHS currently has 4 or 5 girls playing AAU basketball throughout the off season. Some of these players are making a huge impact on the teams that they are representing. I have been watching Kingston girls basketball for a long time and throughout the last several years the records have been blamed on the players. In my opinion it is time to wake up and smell the coffee. You cannot have a school the size of Kingston High School and your sports programs continously do so bad. I feel that we need coaches that not only care about the game but about the impact of morals and values that they are instilling on the players. My question is how good would the University of Tennessee be today without the impact of Bruce Pearl. Don't say to me that is college ball. I am saying to you that this man came to the university excited, energetic, and ready to turn the program around no matter who he was going to make mad or what it took to do it. I would love to see the coaches get involved with the program to the extent that Coach Pearl did at UT. Lets don't keep blaming someone for the problem and fix it.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

RCHS currently has 4 or 5 girls playing AAU basketball throughout the off season. Some of these players are making a huge impact on the teams that they are representing. I have been watching Kingston girls basketball for a long time and throughout the last several years the records have been blamed on the players. In my opinion it is time to wake up and smell the coffee. You cannot have a school the size of Kingston High School and your sports programs continously do so bad. I feel that we need coaches that not only care about the game but about the impact of morals and values that they are instilling on the players. My question is how good would the University of Tennessee be today without the impact of Bruce Pearl. Don't say to me that is college ball. I am saying to you that this man came to the university excited, energetic, and ready to turn the program around no matter who he was going to make mad or what it took to do it. I would love to see the coaches get involved with the program to the extent that Coach Pearl did at UT. Lets don't keep blaming someone for the problem and fix it.

I would have to agree with almost everything you've said. Your comments about UT and Coach Pearl are off the mark though. If Kingston had the resources to pay someone the amount Pearl got, I'd say they could find someone more excited and energetic to Coach. I'm not saying the coaches shouldnt show more enthusiasm about their position, just when it comes to Kingston getting coaches, they dont look very far outside the realm of their faculty and you end up getting whats available and someone who is willing to take the job, plus, you get what you're allowed to pay for.

How many schools would that make for him? I can count 5 that he has been at, so this would make at least 6.

Fuel to the fire.

Marcum will be an asset to the Kingston Program. Tayler played for a team he coached a couple of years ago. It wasnt AAU but they played several local tournaments. I watched a bunch of their team practices and he knows what he's doing. I think Keith and him together will have a good chance at making drastic improvements. Its not fair to judge him based on the record at Scott County. From what I heard, once he got up there and started practice, several if not all the upper classman quit because he made them work for their starting positions. They didnt get their way so they quit. I think he did what a coach should do, if the players choose not to do what the coach says, put 'em on the bench. He did that and they chose to quit. If I remember correctly, the last couple of years he was playing Freshman and Sophomores. If this isnt correct, somebody please feel free to provide more details.

I just think the run until someone passes out approach to discipline has seen it's day and now it's over. You can have the respect of your players by being a leader and that is something that neither of your coaches has proven at the high school level to this point. I do feel like they could turn it around but it needs to happen next year.

I hope for the Kingston kids sake things turn around. I don't really understand what got their program in the shape it is in now so I won't comment on it too much more. Good Luck to Kingston, Coach Marcum, and Coach Anderson

Here's my point. Many people have blamed the coaching for the causes of losing.

This coach was fired at Huntsville Middle, went to Wartburg. Was not rehired. Went to Georgia. Came back for whatever reason. Was at a Cumberland County school. Left there. Now is at Scott, had his own program and didn''t win many games. All of this in ten years. I don't want a journeymen coming in trying to solve this situation/problem. Has not a thing to do with knowledge. Has to do with COMMITTMENT. How committed is he if he has been so many places in so few years????? JMO

Cant really address any of the reasons for him leaving the previous schools he's been involved with because I dont know the reason. What I can say is when he coached my daughter on a summer league team, he did a very good job, maintained discipline, earned the players respect and demonstrated a sincere committment not only to the team, but to winning as well.

"went to Wartburg. Was not rehired"

Marcum would have been hired back at Wartburg Cheesefries, there are a lot of people around Wartburg that really liked him, unfortunately for Chad there was an equal number against him. I just think he wanted a chance to coach at the High School Level and didn't want to wait around. Had he stayed I think he would have been the coach at CHS right now, but that train has left the station.

Good Luck Chad

"went to Wartburg. Was not rehired"

Marcum would have been hired back at Wartburg Cheesefries, there are a lot of people around Wartburg that really liked him, unfortunately for Chad there was an equal number against him. I just think he wanted a chance to coach at the High School Level and didn't want to wait around. Had he stayed I think he would have been the coach at CHS right now, but that train has left the station.

Good Luck Chad

So you are actually making my point of comittment. He was going to be hired back, and if he had stayed he would be the HC now? Yet he left.

Once again, it has nothing to do with knowledge of the game.........Just not the best answer/solution if Anderson brings him in.