Tri-County Seven - Week of 10 February, 2008

krichunaka

I agree like I said in my previous post Hampton played a great basketball game defensively made plays when they hade to shot good from the freethrow line all night and they did what they had to do to win period.

But what people didnt realize was is at times she is our best ball handler and like I said before her number of minutes was limited the other night therefore it's hard to win a basketball game down the stretch when your senior leader can barely hold her head up and is barely even 50 percent healthy.

And if anyone watches the film noticed how many times she took the ball to the basket or even tried to look for her shot. If you asked me I would say she probably shot the ball 7 times. But I think our main key focus the next time will be better decisions against the press and deffinitely we will have to have some younger kids step in and have a good game thats what will decide the outcome for us not only tonight but later down the road.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree like I said in my previous post Hampton played a great basketball game defensively made plays when they hade to shot good from the freethrow line all night and they did what they had to do to win period.

But what people didnt realize was is at times she is our best ball handler and like I said before her number of minutes was limited the other night therefore it's hard to win a basketball game down the stretch when your senior leader can barely hold her head up and is barely even 50 percent healthy.

And if anyone watches the film noticed how many times she took the ball to the basket or even tried to look for her shot. If you asked me I would say she probably shot the ball 7 times. But I think our main key focus the next time will be better decisions against the press and deffinitely we will have to have some younger kids step in and have a good game thats what will decide the outcome for us not only tonight but later down the road.

TOO MANY THINGS HAVE TO GO PERFECT FOR BOTH TEAMS FOR THERE TO BE A NEXT TIME. JUST DONT THINK IT WILL HAPPEN

I think Hampton played a better overall game last week against Happy Valley. They controlled that game beginning to end. At the start, it seemed like the Dawgs might have came out flat, but they got it going. Then after half-time, they came out flat again. I think they only managed to score 1 point in the first 7 minutes of the 3rd quarter. But Hampton's depth and Unaka's lack of a true point guard hurt the Rangers in the long run. I know Britney Scott is a very good player, but don't forget that Hampton beat them earlier in the year when she was completely healthy...

I agree with the good comments of both teams, each game that these two teams have matched up were exciting games and came down to the wire. Unaka has had it's share of disapointments with games they should have wrapped up in the second half but managed to let it slip away. I can't disreguard their opponets true talent but the post play for Unaka has been flat when it counts the most, B Scott combined with K Winters(22pt for Winters against the Lady Bulldogs Sat Night) should have dominated the paint but Scott was barely able to stay in for 2 minutes at a time, the second regular season match up of these 2 teams was much of the same with inconsistent post play The sluggish play on the boards from one game to the next keeps coming back to bite the Rangers.

Tonights match up of the Lady Rangers and North Green was much of the same story except Winters and Scott both were not able to produce points in the paint, the 3 ball from Byers and Elsea was the only part of the Rangers offense that kept them in the game. This match remained close until North Green took it out of reach for the Rangers on the foul line. I'm not making excuses but the Rangers have been inconsistant the whole season I'm not sure but I'm guessing the Rangers only shot 50% from the Charity Stripe. Oh how wonderful it would be if they could pull it together and salvage a winning season, not much time left to get any better this season but there is true talent within this team if they want it more than the other team it can and will happen for them.

Poor productivity of the Rangers on the Foul line has cost them at least a couple of games. The first regular season game against Cloudland should have been a double digit win for the Rangers but there was a slew of missed shots in the paint, and on the foul line, still they hung on for the Win. The second regualar season game against Cloudland ended up the same way except the Highlanders came out with the win from the charity stripe. Hampton continues to be a force to be reckoned with, it's always a good match up, looking foreward to the next few years when these teams meet.

The Lady Bulldogs were Impressive tonight against Cloudland in the championship match but the game kinda slipped away from them in the 4th period, I really thought that Hampton was going to pull out the win but the Landers bullied them in the paint and were pretty hard to stop with the 3 ball, hats off to the Lady Landers. The bulldogs had a tough time getting their put backs to fall and the Landers were persistant with getting the rebounds. it seemed the poor officiating took the wind out of the Bulldogs sails late in the game , Cloudland prevails this time with a good win.

You Know good officiating is hard to come by these days, don't see that changing around these parts until some of the officials realize they need to find other means to supplement their income after retirement. Wal mart is always hiring greeters and they probaly get free coffee along with a big discount on Hair Dye.

Im not so sure that Unaka isnt better off having lost the game to North Greene. While they have a tough road game to open the Region, IF they can get by it, they get a rematch with Hampton in the semifinal instead of Cloudland.

Congrats to Cloudland and Unicoi for winning their District tournaments. The "one and done" games start now.

Ranger dad, it sounds like to me you are just whining because the best team won the tournament. We're consistently winning championships and you don't like it. The loss on the RAngers home floor was a fluke and Cloudland has proved all of these points by cruising through this tournament. Cloudland is the best team in this conference and they have proven it on the court. Nuff said. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Ranger dad, it sounds like to me you are just whining because the best team won the tournament. We're consistently winning championships and you don't like it. The loss on the RAngers home floor was a fluke and Cloudland has proved all of these points by cruising through this tournament. Cloudland is the best team in this conference and they have proven it on the court. Nuff said. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

A Fluke..... please /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> .......want a little cheese to go with your Whine....... A loss is a loss so deflate the Lander EGO a little, there is limited seating in most gyms so the Blue Crew might wanta leave some of it at home ...... Come back to earth I believe you are confused a bit, What Team likes to lose? I don't know of any, do you?

The Lady Ranger's lost at the Landers home court by a mear 5 points from the foul line but only after the Rangers missed from the foul line in the closing seconds so they had to foul in attempts to get the ball back.......Don't think there was any cruising going on in that game they got first seed in the tournament, Ironically the Landers lost by 5 to the Rangers in the first match, give'm credit they won the second game but they are not unbeatable by any of the conference teams.

I'm sure the other Teams and fans agree..... Boy the Blues Clueless crew just can't get enough of themselves....... get a Clue Crew or a life or something be more productive rather than continuing your campaign to slamm the Rangers every chance u get....... The Ranges will be around for along time, they will Win some and lose some but they will always play the game with respect and sportsmanship.

Im not so sure that Unaka isnt better off having lost the game to North Greene. While they have a tough road game to open the Region, IF they can get by it, they get a rematch with Hampton in the semifinal instead of Cloudland.

Congrats to Cloudland and Unicoi for winning their District tournaments. The "one and done" games start now.

Maybe but I believe either contest will be a good game, It's certain to be interesting either way

HEY CYCLONEFAN,

Help a brother out here, where do we play after friday,IF we win?

Could you line it out through to State Tourny? And for all you other fans, Im not looking past anyone or thinking we are going to the 'boro, just want the scenarios! So please refrain from your remarks!

Oh yeah, krich, did I just read you have Unaka girls ranked above Eliz? I don't care if it's an extra game or how we do it, I agree with others that Eliz should play Unaka,Hampton,HV, and Cloudland every year in EVERY SPORT!

All Ive heard for years is how Hampton and Cloudland (Unaka knows better) could beat EHS in football.

I admit, a couple of years ago, we were humiliated by loosing to HV but I bet you anything Coach Witten will be glad to schedule at least a scrimmage with any of you!

Our JV last year only lost 1 game and the Cyclones under Coach Witten are truly poised for a RTD!

(return to dominance)

CYCLONEFAN could you also show the path the boys would travel IF they win at Pigeon Forge Sat!

bigvolfan: here is the info as I know it:

EHS Girls: At Claiborne friday night; win and play winner of Unicoi-Cumberland Gap in regional semifinal at Chuckey Doak Middle School on monday night; win that game (tall order) and play again at CD Middle against other semi final winner (that bracket has South Greene vs Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg Pittman vs Happy Valley). Two Regional finalists get a substate game against Region 2 finalists with regional winners playing at home and runnerups on the road.

EHS Boys: At Pigeon Forge saturday night; win and play winner of Unicoi-Gatlinburg Pittman in regional semifinal at CD Middle school tuesday; win that game (tall tall order), and play again at CD Middle against other semifinal winner (that bracket has Rutledge vs North and Union County vs Johnson County). From there region 1 winner and runnerup vs region 2's in substate games the following monday.

This might also help:

http://tssaa.org/2007Champions/StateGBaske...ssAA/Region.htm

bigvolfan, The most-recent rankings were released eleven days ago - the 10th - before District Tournament play, and prior to the end of regular season play. Since then, Unicoi County defeated Cloudland, in Roan Mountain, then went on to win the District One-AA Tournament. Cloudland recovered quickly from the 38-44 home loss to the Lady Blue Devils, and won the District One-A Tournament. Elizabethton and Unaka are actually tied at number three in these ratings. Also, fifth-ranked Hampton defeated Happy Valley, in Hampton, by 14, so the end-of-regular-season ratings would reflect the most-recent scores.

Any of the county schools would jump at the opportunity to play Elizabethon in any sport, but that's highly unlikely to happen. In football, where the Cyclones still have a couple, non-conference, mega-dollar games, money is the primary consideration.

The Cyclones have almost always played Unaka in baseball, but that's essentially a non-revenue sport.

If Coaches Dugger and Chambers stay put, a Ladies Basketball series is very likely.

The price of gasoline makes scrimmaging in football a very practical consideration, since three of the Carter County schools could be in Elizabethton within twenty minutes.