Anyone seen the 4'8" lefty at Gallatin?

3-6-3

Shoot! That's nothin'! Find a hidden gem at an LP Convention! 4'8" is a giant at these things. We're talking 3 foot wonders! Their only weakness is covering home on a wild pitch or any bases for that matter. They usually use a cart ride out to the mound and back to the dugout to save time.

Gallatin's Coach: I remember him when he was in high school. He had a carpet on his head in those days now he looks like a conehead from a Saturday Night Live skit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot! That's nothin'! Find a hidden gem at an LP Convention! 4'8" is a giant at these things. We're talking 3 foot wonders! Their only weakness is covering home on a wild pitch or any bases for that matter. They usually use a cart ride out to the mound and back to the dugout to save time.

Gallatin's Coach: I remember him when he was in high school. He had a carpet on his head in those days now he looks like a conehead from a Saturday Night Live skit.

Gotta call you on that one RU..he ain't never had hair on his head...has he? I can't imagine him any better looking even ifin he had hair.

R'dman,

Did not mean to stir up the village idiot in you...our summer league coach was voted BP Ball Bucket Man of the Year two years in a row for his JV team as well as Most Likely 2B 26 in Ten Years after his Sophomore year. He has won over 38 games in 11 years of coaching and has sent 10 people to jail and many others have signed with the University of Phoenix as well as the DeVry Institiute. So get off the summer league guys...they have their place.

Question to all:

How big is too big when it comes to knots on pitcher's elbows?

Gotta call you on that one RU..he ain't never had hair on his head...has he? I can't imagine him any better looking even ifin he had hair.

R'dman,

Did not mean to stir up the village idiot in you...our summer league coach was voted BP Ball Bucket Man of the Year two years in a row for his JV team as well as Most Likely 2B 26 in Ten Years after his Sophomore year. He has won over 38 games in 11 years of coaching and has sent 10 people to jail and many others have signed with the University of Phoenix as well as the DeVry Institiute. So get off the summer league guys...they have their place.

Question to all:

How big is too big when it comes to knots on pitcher's elbows?

i was taking up for the summer coach they are great teachers to the so called real coaches in high school

as far as the how big is too big as long as it is a knot and it hasnt popped then i think its ok

i was taking up for the summer coach they are great teachers to the so called real coaches in high school

as far as the how big is too big as long as it is a knot and it hasnt popped then i think its ok

Should I lance it?

Use a leech?

Let the dog or cat like it?

Use a poltice of witch hazel, garrett's sweet snuff, and hydrogen peroxide?

Let a calf stink on it?

Or simply pop it by slamming two books together?

PS...it only hurts when we throw 50+ sliders with a 12 pound shot...maybe a junior high shot?

GOTTA HAVE SOME HELP

E5, I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT THAT KNOT. AS LONG AS IT IS FAIRLY PROPORTIONATE TO THE KID'S KNEECAP, YOU'RE GOOD. I FOUND THAT DOING SOME CURLS WITH THE BUCKET OF BALLS AND RAISING THE ARMS TO SLIDE THE BATTING CAGE BACK AND FORTH REALLY HELPS.

AS FOR THE SUMMER COACHES, WE JUST DECIDED TO JOIN 'EM... AS YOU KNOW WE HAVE OUR ANNUAL "DINNER N DRILLS" NIGHT, WHERE WE HAVE LOCAL SUMMER LEGENDS COME IN AND SPEAK. WE HAD LAST YEARS RICK MAHLER 15-16 YEAR OLD LEAGUE AND AAUNCAAANAINJCAATSSAA CLASS 4XB WORLD CHAMPIONS COME IN THIS YEAR, SPONSORED BY ZAXBY'S OF COURSE.

It has been my experience, as a professional scout going on 3 years now and becoming more convincing each year, that you should force feed the player Ibuprofen and send him back to the mound. Do not talk about the knot, parents and players alike have a tendency to over react. If the kid is a freshman or sophomore, pitch him daily because when the knot erupts, surgery can have him back for at least his senior year. If he is a junior or senior you have to treat him more delicately because this injury could result in you losing some games and causing your winning percentage to fall. As a high school coach, you cannot have that. Therefore, think now and later on younger kids and think of the present with older kids. Lets face it, destiny puts kids in the big leagues, not talent, and if they have an injury...then destiny proves that this kid should working at the Sonic.

The ONLY exception is if the kids parents have money and are big supporters to the program. Then you have to be more sensitive to the child and his injury. I think CCriders in having a seminar on that topic this summer.

Hows the legs holding out this year E5??? Staying awake during your...um....baseball brainstorming sessions?

If you was a smart coach you would just let the summer coach run the team in the first place and let him run practice because our high school coaches can truely learn how to manage a team through some of these summer coaches THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING !!!!!!!!so dont find them work with them and learn from them

It is interesting that you mention that. Gallatin has a great reputation of destroying players once they get into HS. I have seen some really good summer programs out of Gallatin. We use to play those Storm teams and they were very well Coached and had a lot of talent. So what happens when Gallatin HS gets them? I don't get it. It seems to me that HS coaches use summer ball to make extra cash from booster clubs. They could care less about performance. Most of them schedule weak teams and tournaments. It's like a glorified rec league. Stick with you competitive travel team if you want to grow and the good programs like Storm, Hit After Hit, Franklin, Brentwood have great coaching and really nourish talent. Plus they keep rosters at a minimum. Seems like HS Coaches give into parents and administration to just play kids that will never play a day after HS. Travel teams have serious committed players in most cases. Maybe some HS coaches should look a little closer at good summer coaches and get aligned!!! Most freshman and sophmores would be better served to skip the unworthy "JV" and "B" Team or god forbid freshman program and go right to a spring/summer workout program.

COACHROS,

SOUNDS GREAT. U WANNA COME AND HELP US AT GHS IMPLEMENT THIS? WHAT ABOUT THE PLAYERS WHO DONT GET PICKED UP BY TRAVEL TEAMS? WHAT ABOUT HS COACHES WHO COACH THEIR TEAMS FOR NO PAY? WHAT ABOUT THE SATURATION OF COMPETITION IN SUMMER BALL, WHEN ANY TEAM CAN FIND A LEAGUE TO WIN AND SOME TYPE OF ABC WORLD SERIES TO GO TO.?

STORM HAS A LOT OF GOOD PLAYERS. BUT THEY GET TO PICK THE BEST OF THE BEST IN THAT AGE GROUP. PLAYING FOR A SCHOOL IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT.

PS - AS FOR THE GREAT SUMMER TEAMS FROM GALLATIN, THE LEGION HAD A GREAT RUN FOR ABOUT 3-4 YEARS. OTHER THAN THAT, WHAT GREAT SUMMER TEAMS HAVE THERE BEEN FROM GALLATIN?

It is interesting that you mention that. Gallatin has a great reputation of destroying players once they get into HS. I have seen some really good summer programs out of Gallatin. We use to play those Storm teams and they were very well Coached and had a lot of talent. So what happens when Gallatin HS gets them? I don't get it. It seems to me that HS coaches use summer ball to make extra cash from booster clubs. They could care less about performance. Most of them schedule weak teams and tournaments. It's like a glorified rec league. Stick with you competitive travel team if you want to grow and the good programs like Storm, Hit After Hit, Franklin, Brentwood have great coaching and really nourish talent. Plus they keep rosters at a minimum. Seems like HS Coaches give into parents and administration to just play kids that will never play a day after HS. Travel teams have serious committed players in most cases. Maybe some HS coaches should look a little closer at good summer coaches and get aligned!!! Most freshman and sophmores would be better served to skip the unworthy "JV" and "B" Team or god forbid freshman program and go right to a spring/summer workout program.

Coachroach,

U sound like u no whut u'r talk'in bout. I coach at the local babe ruth 14-15 league. Yeah I'm the head coach of the Piggly Wiggly team. I've coached the all star teams the past 15 years. Do purdy darn good til we meet up with that power house Bell Buckle All Star team. Sum em' boys look bout 30. Oh well. Nuff bout my attributes.

I hear ye on them thar high schoole coaches. They keep thar boys over the summar and that takes em away from babe ruth. They lurn more bout hindcatchin, shortstopin, outfiledin, cuttin off, buttin, and exsaidra. If more younguns played babe ruth ball high school baseball would be a jugernot sport. I ben thunkin bout coachin a travel team like u. U lookin fur a coach? I cun coach bout anythun. Plus over hear at the babe ruth league u get what u get. U travel coaches can pickem an choosem as u wish. So u git da best frum everywhur. Shut u'd have a heckuva babe ruth all star team.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

COACHROS,

SOUNDS GREAT. U WANNA COME AND HELP US AT GHS IMPLEMENT THIS? WHAT ABOUT THE PLAYERS WHO DONT GET PICKED UP BY TRAVEL TEAMS? WHAT ABOUT HS COACHES WHO COACH THEIR TEAMS FOR NO PAY? WHAT ABOUT THE SATURATION OF COMPETITION IN SUMMER BALL, WHEN ANY TEAM CAN FIND A LEAGUE TO WIN AND SOME TYPE OF ABC WORLD SERIES TO GO TO.?

STORM HAS A LOT OF GOOD PLAYERS. BUT THEY GET TO PICK THE BEST OF THE BEST IN THAT AGE GROUP. PLAYING FOR A SCHOOL IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT.

PS - AS FOR THE GREAT SUMMER TEAMS FROM GALLATIN, THE LEGION HAD A GREAT RUN FOR ABOUT 3-4 YEARS. OTHER THAN THAT, WHAT GREAT SUMMER TEAMS HAVE THERE BEEN FROM GALLATIN?

Players that don't get picked up normally play in a recreation league like Babe Ruth or they play on the High School Summer Team. I don't know many Coaches who don't get some pay for Coaching Summer Teams. HS Coaches have the role of winning games with shorter seasons which has become a real challenge with TSSAA. They also have the responsibility of getting kids seen with College prospects and some do a great job. There are many issues with HS baseball. Most HS's treat baseball like a step child to the bigger football and basketball budgets. HS Coaches have real challenges with that. I was High School Coach at one time. I understand. The challenge I see for HS Coaches is going to be your short season and trying to put the best 9 on the field in that short of a season. Summer seasons give summer Coaches more time with smaller roster thus providing more at bats and mound time for players that really want to play at the next level. It also seems that many HS coaches are stuck with assistant that do not have a clue about baseball. A good summer team that schedules correctly and does not play in bad leagues and non sanctioned ABC World Series are what I am talking about. I understand the ability to weak schedule. Good Coaches will schedule to play up or against real talent. In USSSA and other true sanctioned leagues you are ranked and can only play in your level.

calm down there are many issues here with HS and summer programs. Goods and bad boths ways!!

THATS FINE, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COMMENT ON RUINING PLAYERS HERE AT GALLATIN HS? THIS MY FIFTH YEAR, AND NO LESS THAN 11 PLAYERS HAVE SIGNED COLLEGE SCHOALRSHIPS. THAT IS NOT TOO SHABBY FOR OUR PROGRAM. I CAN'T THINK OF ONE PLAYER THAT WE HAVE RUINED HERE. I CAN THINK OF 4 OR 5 WHO RUINED THEMSELVES.

AS FOR JV AND FRESHMAN TEAMS, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND COACHES, LIKE YOU SAID. BUT, WHEN THEY STOP TRYING OUT FOR THE TEAM, I CAN STOP KEEPING THEM. THEN WE WILL WATCH SCHOLASTIC BASEBALL DISAPPEAR.

THATS FINE, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE COMMENT ON RUINING PLAYERS HERE AT GALLATIN HS? THIS MY FIFTH YEAR, AND NO LESS THAN 11 PLAYERS HAVE SIGNED COLLEGE SCHOALRSHIPS. THAT IS NOT TOO SHABBY FOR OUR PROGRAM. I CAN'T THINK OF ONE PLAYER THAT WE HAVE RUINED HERE. I CAN THINK OF 4 OR 5 WHO RUINED THEMSELVES.

AS FOR JV AND FRESHMAN TEAMS, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND COACHES, LIKE YOU SAID. BUT, WHEN THEY STOP TRYING OUT FOR THE TEAM, I CAN STOP KEEPING THEM. THEN WE WILL WATCH SCHOLASTIC BASEBALL DISAPPEAR.

Good for you. That is what it is all about Coach. Too often parents measure Coaches on wins and loses right? I think if those are your numbers, congrats. You are in a tough district. 4 or 5 kids ruining themselves is typical in HS and not your fault. Don't get me wrong Coach, I understand your program pains. It seems like you have been weak in developing your pitchers. Looking at Beech, Mt. Juliet, Smyrna. Do you have a good pitching Coach/program? And we notice when playing you once, you allow your catchers to call pitches? Had a player of mine hit a 2 run homer on a 0-2 curve ball. Come on Coach, no High School kid should be calling your pitches. We don't let our college catchers do that.

Relax Coach, we all including me deserve some criticism from time to time.