Hickman Co. 57, Lewis Co. 54 - Officiating Questionable

PageMan

Before I throw the numbers out, I have to make a comment on the officiating. It was not the lead official who made the bad calls, but one of the secondary officials. Several times during the game it appeared that Hickman Co. fouled the Lewis Co. player, but this official called Lewis for the foul. One of the most blatent errors happened in the 4th qtr where Lewis player #3 Jessica Hinson had the ball in the corner and a Hickman player rushed in to try to steal the ball and knocked Hinson down. Much to everyone's surprise this official went to the scoring table and held up 3 fingers. I knew immediately that Hickman didn't have a #3 on their roster and then the official pointed to Hickman's goal giving them possession. The Lewis fans went crazy and even the lead official talked to the official to question the call, but the foul was given to Jessica Hinson and the ball went to Hickman Co. Even at the end of the game when Lewis' Micah Anderson attempted a three point shot that would have tied the game, no call was made on an obvious foul. These are just 2 of the notable errors, but there were far more during the entire game as Lewis fell victim to poor officiating. Off the soap box and on with the numbers.

Hickman Co......11..12....13..21.....57

Lewis Co..........10...5.....13..26.....54

Hickman Co. Player Stats:

Jaclyn Wise - 20 pts (6 of 7 FT's), 7 rebs, 2 assts

Kelsey Wright - 14 pts (4 of 5 FT's), 5 rebs

Jana Gilbert - 10 pts (6 of 6 FT's), 3 rebs, 3 assts

Kayla Hutcherson - 7 pts (1 of 5 FT's), 3 rebs, 1 asst

L. A. Phillips - 6 pts, 3 rebs

Brittany Powers - 6 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk

Lewis Co. Player Stats:

Micah Anderson - 17 pts (1 three, 8 of 8 FT's), 6 rebs, 1 asst

C. C. Tibbs - 11 pts (2 threes, 1 of 2 FT's), 6 rebs, 3 assts

Taylor McKinney - 9 pts (1 of 1 FT's), 8 rebs, 1 asst, 1 blk

Marisa Bryant - 6 pts (1 three, 1 of 1 FT's)

Jacie Hinson - 5 pts (1 three), 1 reb

Jessica Hinson - 4 pts (2 of 3 FT's), 1 reb, 1 asst

Whitley Clayton - 2 pts (2 of 2 FT's), 2 rebs, 1 asst

Chynna Helton - 1 reb, 1 asst, 2 blks

Hannah Hill - 1 reb

Team Stats:

Three Point Goals: HC 0, LC 5

Free Throws: HC 17 of 23 (73.9%), LC 15 of 19 (78.9%)

Rebounds: HC 27, LC 26

Assists: HC 7, LC 8

Blocks: HC 1, LC 3

Fouls: HC 17, LC 22

Turnovers: HC 14, LC 11

Hickman Co led at the end of the 1st qtr, 11-10, as Wise had 6, Wright had 3 (1 of 1 FT's), and L.A. Phillips had 2 while Lewis Co.'s Anderson had 6 (4 of 4 FT's) and McKinney had 4.

In the 2nd qtr, HC outscored LC, 12-5, as Phillips had 4, Gilbert had 4 (2 of 2 FT's), Wise had 2, and Wright hit 2 of 2 FT's while LC's Bryant hit a three and McKinney had 2 as HC led at the half, 23-15. This low scoring qtr for LC did not help them at all.

In the 3rd qtr, both teams scored 13 each as HC's Wise had 6 (0 of 1 FT's), Wright had 5 (1 of 2 FT's), and Hutcherson had 2 while LC's Jacie Hinson and Tibbs both had 5 with a three and McKinney had 3 (1 of 1 FT's) as HC maintained their 8 pt half-time led at 36-28.

In the 4th qtr, LC made a valient effort as they outscored HC, 26-21, as Anderson had 11 (1 three, 4 of 4 FT's), Tibbs had 6 (1 three, 1 of 1 FT's), Jessica Hinson had 4 (2 of 3 FT's), Bryant had 3 (1 of 1 FT's), and Clayton hit 2 of 2 FT's while HC's Wise hit 6 of 6 FT's, Gilbert had 6 (4 of 4 FT's), Hutcherson had 5 (1 of 5 FT's), and Wright had 4 as Hickson Co. won, 57-54, and advanced to the Final where they will play Marshall Co. who won later against Giles Co., 63-19. Lewis Co. will play Giles Co. in the consolation game for 3rd place.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been a registered member of coacht, I have just always logged on to see the topics, but never had a desire to post. However, after reading Page Man's post, I could not resist. First of all, big Congrats to the Hickman County Lady Dawgs. I feel that it is very disrespectful to not give them the credit they deserve, they absolutely played their tails off last night. It has been a while since they have been successful and they deserve to enjoy this win without someone blaming Lewis County's loss on the officials. Calls were missed on both sides and good calls were made on both sides, as every night. Yes I agree that the foul called on #3 was questionable and confusing, however, it by no means determined the outcome of the game. The officials were letting a lot go on under the basket on both sides. Anderson and McKinney got away with a lot and even got away with the pushing and shoving going on after the whistle, on several occasions. BUT, the one thing that you are completely mistaken about Page Man, is Anderson's three-pointer at the end of the game. Brittany Powers played great defense on her, especially that particular play, she was straight up and the only contact that was made was due to Anderson falling and leaning into Powers hoping for a foul. Lewis County is known for their dramatic flopping, the only difference in last night's game was that the officials didn't buy into that. If I am not mistaken, the fouls were pretty much even and I think that Hickman County only shot 5 or 6 more free throws than Lewis County, which is to be expected since Lewis County pressed the majority of the night. However, I didn't really come on here to argue about officiating, I just want to give the Lady Dawgs the credit they deserve for playing their hearts out, WITH GOOD ATTITUDES AND SPORTSMANSHIP, and ending up with the victory.

GO DAWGS

glad to see that someone that had nothing to do with either team thought the officals were terrible. don't get me wrong hickman outplayed us for 3 quarters but the last 6 minutes of the game there was some serious questionable calling. just think that when we had a chance to go ahead it was taking out of our hands.but now we have to look ahead and come out playing hard. we've worked to hard to let last nite change what we want.

One more thing to say. Did anyone expect the officials to be any count considering how terrible they have been all year in this district?

I more than respect page mans opinion. But as someone out doing a little scouting I would have to say that Hickman out played lewis county the entire game. The defensive stop at the end of the game was a player going straight up and a post shooting a three and floping. Its on the tape. The officiating was very interesting. It was 55 from lewis county getting in foul trouble early that helped Hickman get the lead. Towards the end the ref's let them play. at a critical juncture late in the fourth period, 55 was given a jump ball when she was bear hugging the girl from Hickman from behind. This call resulted in a poss for lewis, and 12 then hit a 3 off the screen, cutting the lead to two. Hickman broke the interesting trap that lewis was running but missed two wide open layups late. The wise girl from hickman was the difference in this game, The inbounds move late in the game off the double screen, rotating back into the middle to draw the weakside post, then dumping it down to the post on the block was a great play at a critical time, time and time again wise answerd the call. Lewis counties problem was that it looked like the only person who came to play was 55. 12 showed a spark late...but late, she also flopped alot. The lewis team missed a lot of opportunities from 3, and they really could not stop 00. It is a shame that either lewis or Marshall will not make it out of the region. I would have to give a great coaching congratulations in a losing effort to the Lewis county coach. He had his team down 10 late and continued to put pressure on Hickman. I have the game charted and both teams hit their FT down the stretch. It was great coaching that got Lewis back into the game. They turned on a light late in the game and really looked like a good team. the problem was that 00 wise and 10 from Hickman hit their free throws and answered the call.

This game was called evenly...and I really did not care who won. I think that Lewis County just started playing a little to late. If its any consulation the teams coming your way from 9AA are not very good. They are young and pulled off District upsets.

Marshall looked unbeatable....great game tigeretts.

Thanks for your reply, raiderpride. I don't want to take anything away from the Hickman Co.'s win as they have really come on late in the season after a slow start. Jaclyn Wise is a great player with a good shot and her 20 pts along with Kelsey Wright's 14 and Jana Gilbert's 10 showed good balanced scoring. One of the keys to HC's win was the breaking of the back court press that LC's uses. One of the LC parents sitting near me commented during the game that LC was tentative in their offensive play in the first half and their 5 pt 2nd qtr allowed HC to take control of the game. The fouls were even at 7 a piece in the 1st half and LC had 15 to HC's 10 in the 2nd half, but they fouled late in the game to put HC at the line hoping for a miss, but HC hit their FT's (11 of 15 in the 4th qtr) and LC was also accurate with 10 of 11 in the 4th qtr. HC had only 4 more FT attempts for the game than LC (23 to 19).

I appreciate all of comments that the others made as I have not received many comments on my posts during the season. It's good to get several opinions about what happened during a close game as it gives new perspectives of what happened. Since my team has lost out, I watch all the remaining games as a somewhat of a neutral observer. I will try to be more careful in my future posts to give credit to the winning teams for their good play and will refrain from negative comments on officiating.

I don't necessarily think that the play of Wise was the difference in this game. Wise is going to get her points, she has all year long with the exception of a game or two when an opposing team just shuts her down. However, the surprise last night for Hickman County was the play of the Sophomore post Wright, who was huge for the Lady Bulldogs. Fourteen points from her is tremendous for that team and she seemed to come up with an offensive rebound at very important points in the game during the first three quarters. Her play is what strikes me as the difference in this game, especially considering it came against a team with such strong and experienced inside players as Anderson and McKinney.

Also, I heard that Lewis County's press was not very effective in the first half and, despite this fact, Helton continued to use it up until halftime, which allowed Hickman County to get some easy points that contributed greatly to the eight point halftime lead. I don't know, I wasn't there, but based on what I have heard and on the stats that PageMan posted, this is what I gather from the game. I was very surprised by the outcome of this game--I never expected Lewis County to lose this game.

Pageman, I always read your posts with great respect. Does Page already have a name in mind for their new coach?

I don't know if it mattered who won that game, because Marshall Co. looked very impressive last night. I think Marshall Co. would have had their way with Lewis County.

you thought u would the 2nd game of the season too.

Thanks for your reply, raiderpride. I don't want to take anything away from the Hickman Co.'s win as they have really come on late in the season after a slow start. Jaclyn Wise is a great player with a good shot and her 20 pts along with Kelsey Wright's 14 and Jana Gilbert's 10 showed good balanced scoring. One of the keys to HC's win was the breaking of the back court press that LC's uses. One of the LC parents sitting near me commented during the game that LC was tentative in their offensive play in the first half and their 5 pt 2nd qtr allowed HC to take control of the game. The fouls were even at 7 a piece in the 1st half and LC had 15 to HC's 10 in the 2nd half, but they fouled late in the game to put HC at the line hoping for a miss, but HC hit their FT's (11 of 15 in the 4th qtr) and LC was also accurate with 10 of 11 in the 4th qtr. HC had only 4 more FT attempts for the game than LC (23 to 19).

I appreciate all of comments that the others made as I have not received many comments on my posts during the season. It's good to get several opinions about what happened during a close game as it gives new perspectives of what happened. Since my team has lost out, I watch all the remaining games as a somewhat of a neutral observer. I will try to be more careful in my future posts to give credit to the winning teams for their good play and will refrain from negative comments on officiating.

I also want it to be known that i respect pageman and the reason people dont repsond to a lot of your post is your always spot on. I have enjoyed reading unbiased reports from 10aa and look foward too updates from the tournament. Thanks pageman

Keep up the good work