Giles Co. 61, Lewis Co. 57 - Bobcats to Finals

PageMan

In the 2nd semi-final of District 10AA, #2 Seed Giles Co. defeated #3 Seed Lewis Co., 61-57, as Giles' strong inside game of Creshaun Holt, Artez Franklin, and Dominique Harney combined for 40 pts and PG Devin Holt added 10 pts with 2 threes and 4 of 6 FT'S. Edward Dartis came off the bench for the Bobcats to hit 3 threes to add to the balanced attack. Lewis Co. made a good run in the 4th qtr with 28 pts to Giles' 19 as Chance Helton had 11 of his 16 pts and 2 of his 3 threes and Kane Crowell had 7 of 12 pts that included 5 of 5 FT's, but the Panthers can up just a little short. Giles Co. advanced to the Championship game on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 7:30 against Spring Hill who won earlier over Marshall Co. in overtime, 69-65. Marshall and Lewis will play the consolation game for 3rd place at 6:00 PM.

Lewis Co.....16...6......7...28....57

Giles Co......14..12....16..19.....61

Giles Co. Player Stats:

Creshaun Greer - 16 pts (8 of 13 FT's), 12 rebs, 1 blk

Artez Franklin - 14 pts (2 of 2 FT's), 7 rebs, 1 asst

Devin Holt - 10 pts (2 threes, 4 of 6 FT's), 2 rebs, 7 assts

Dominique Harney - 10 pts (2 of 2 FT's), 5 rebs, 1 asst

Edward Dartis - 9 pts (3 threes), 1 reb

Jonathan Alsup - 2 pts, 1 reb, 1 asst

Lewis Co. Player Stats:

Chance Helton - 16 pts (3 threes, 1 of 2 FT's), 2 rebs

Kane Crowell - 12 pts (8 of 8 FT's), 3 rebs

Kyle Tenison - 9 pts (1 of 2 FT's), 5 rebs, 3 assts

Corbin Carroll - 7 pts (1 three, 0 of 1 FT's), 5 rebs, 1 asst

Ryan Cates - 7 pts (1 three), 1 asst

Derek Duncan - 3 pts (1 three), 1 reb, 2 assts

Ethan Dye - 2 pts (2 of 2 FT's), 3 rebs

Myles Brewer - 1 pt (1 of 2 FT's), 1 reb

Team Stats:

Three Point Goals: GC 5, LC 6

Free Throws: GC 16 of 23 (69.6%), LC 13 of 17 (76.5%)

Rebounds: GC 29, LC 20

Assists: GC 10, LC 7

Blocks: GC 1, LC 0

Fouls: GC 19, LC 22

Turnovers: GC 16, LC 15

Lewis Co. led at the end of the 1st qtr, 16-14, as Helton had 5 with a three, Tenison had 5 (1 of 1 FT's), Cates had 2, and both Crowell and Dye hit 2 of 2 FT's while Giles Co.'s C. Holt had 10 (2 of 3 FT's) and Franklin had 4.

In the 2nd qtr, GC outscored LC, 12-6, as Dartis had 3 threes and D. Holt hit a three while LC's Cates and Carroll both hit threes and GC led at the half, 26-22.

In the 3rd qtr, GC outscored LC, 16-7, as Harney had 6, D. Holt had 4 (1 three, 1 of 2 FT's), and Franklin had 6 (2 of 2 FT's) while LC's Crowell had 3 (1 of 1 FT's) and both Tenison and Cates had 2 each as GC led, 42-29, at the half.

In the 4th qtr, Lewis Co. came back as they outscored GC, 28-19, as Helton had 11 (2 threes, 1 of 2 FT's), Crowell had 7 (5 of 5 FT's), Carroll had 4 (0 of 1 FT's), Duncan hit a three, and Tenison had 2 (0 of 1 FT's) while GC's C. Holt hit 6 of 9 FT's, Franklin had 4, Harney had 4 (2 of 2 FT's), D. Holt hit 3 of 4 FT's, and Alsup had 2 as Giles Co. won 61-57.

I have corrected the number of turnovers for Giles Co. to 16 from 13 in the post above as I made an error late last night. There may be other corrections as I check my scoresheet. I hope that my individual points totals for both teams are correct as there is no box score in "The Tennessean" for me to check as they only have the score. I apologize for any additional errors in advance.

I completely left out the team assists in my original report and have now edited in that Giles Co. had 10 and Lewis Co. had 7. Devin Holt led Giles with 7 and Kyle Tenison led Lewis with 3.

During my years here on coacht, people have asked me why I do these reports and my answer has been that I want to supplement the coverage found in newspapers and also get players' names out there in hopes that may get a chance to continue their careers in college. Neither of last night's games have box scores in "The Tennessean" which I regret as both games were exciting contests with great individual performances and also team efforts. Coverage of AA teams in greatly lacking in my opinion as they normally cover AAA teams. I hope my reports fill these gaps as I will provide my reports for the remaining games in this district tournament and also the regional tournament.

I myself and many others are greatly appreciative of this work that you do PageMan. It is a shame that the coverage of teams is soo limited to all the AAA schools up in Nashville. Last was probably 2 of the most exciting games in the state, but nobody will know about it if they weren't there. But thanks for the time and effort you put into all the work of gathering stats together. I also want to congratulate Giles co. on an awesome win, you flat more outplayed and outrebounded us and got the win. So congrats and Good Luck in the district finals.