Coaches discussion

dins8

CPA has used the flat four for a long time now and even though we have a "new" coach he was the assistant last year so we are keeping that defense. Doesnt mean we arent going to miss Coach Brett because he was a really amazing coach. Anyway the flat four really is an awesome defense especially since its much easier to build an attack and control the ball instead of just playing kick and run (which can easily happen in the stopper sweeper setup)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just my personal opinion on a flat back four. I think that it is to prone to through balls. But in saying that if you have enough solid defenders you can maybe run a "Brazilian" flat four which is when one of the backs can attack forward and get involved in the game. But this is very frustrating for a coach because if two go up at the same time and loose the ball, they have a counter attack (3 on 2 etc..). That is why I personally like the sweeper/stopper defense. Also you must have two experienced center defenders that know how to cover and communicate. I think in the end you just have to experiment with what players you have. Just my opinion from observing, playing, and coaching.

Looking back on this past season i never once saw a varsity college team run a sweeper-stopper style of system. now i do understand that in high school you don't always have your pick of talent to run the system that you want as oppose to college where players are recruited to play in a particular system. if you have the talent to run this system though, i would encourage you to run this system bescause of the advantages it holds in the attacking from the back.

I would have to say that our outside backs are EXETREMELY talented and very smart, also the most fit players on our team. To run this system would require players to be able to play one touch style soccer from all eleven players and have the knowledge of where to move and how to move the ball around. If you can teach your players to move the ball from side to side using one touch then building the attack becomes more easy. Our coach is brazilian and we play a mixture of european soccer with the brazilan style. He enforces quick passes mixed with long switches out of the back and midfield, attacking with our outside backs. Our two central defenders learn to slide over and take each others positions as our defensive midfielder drops in.

If you do deside to teach this system in the high school level i would teach the importance of moving as a team and defending as a team. If the ball is turned over, get back in shape or stop play (quick foul). One touch ball is the key with correct movement from EVERY position.