Region 6-AA Tournament

War Eagles

The bracket is set and play is ready to begin. First round games are at the higher seed, then the semifinals and championship game will be held at Lexington High School. The first and second place teams from the tournament will advance to the Substate game. Good luck to my boys at Sycamore /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Region 6-AA Bracket

1. 11-AA. Sycamore

4. 12-AA. Chester County

2. 12-AA. Jackson South-Side

3. 11-AA. Creekwood

1. 12-AA. Bolivar

4. 11-AA. Waverly

2. 11-AA. Harpeth

3. 12-AA. McNairy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harpeth beat McNairy Central last night 78-71. Trey Caruthers had 28 points to lead all scorers and Kevin Giltner added 25 for the Indians. There was about 3 seconds left in the fourth quarter and Giltner, a Wofford signee, made a huge 3 to tie the game and send it into overtime, where the Indians took over. Harpeth will now play the winner of Waverly vs. Bolivar Tuesday night. Sycamore hosts Chester County tonight at 7:00, while Creekwood and Waverly travel on the road to Jackson South Side and Bolivar at 7:00 tonight. Semifinal games will be Tuesday night at Lexington High School.

He hit the shot in the 1st overtime after McNairy went up by three with 2.4 seconds left. Harpeth threw a prayer down court and instead of knocking down the pass, the McNairy player went up with the Harpeth player and tried catching the ball and the ball went out of bounds off of him. He could have let him catchit because he was inside the 3-point line. He caught the inbounds pass and hit a fade away three to win it.

The trend continued for McNairy last night. Instead of playing to win the game, they played not to lose the game. Of their 11 losses this year, this was their 6th where they blew a game where they led by double digits. They came out running and Harpeth couldn't keep up. Harpeth looked tired after the 1st qtr and then McNairy slowed the pace down alot. Harpeth caught their breath and cut the lead to four at the half. McNairy came out running again to begin the 2nd half and quickly went up by double digits and then went into a stall offense to kill time and gave Harpeth a chance to get their wind again. Like the region game against Sycamore last year and in games this year, McNairy had a 2 point lead with 1:45 to go, and they tried playing keep away and turned the ball over and Harpeth tied the game. I don't want to take anything away from Harpeth because they made the plays and hit some BIG TIME shots to win the game. My point comes from Herm Edwards, you have to play to win the game. You play to win not to lose.

I got a question for you 11AA fans. Is the officials that bad all the time up there? The refs were horrible and horrible for both teams in both games? Especially on what is and what is not a travel.

Unless Waverly pulls a surprising upset, Harpeth you guys will have to really step your game up to play with Bolivar. Bolivar will come out and run you as twice as hard as McNairy did and for the whole game. They will also press you guys the whole game and they will play 10+ players who all can play. If you get some open looks, you better knock them down. It's not impossible to beat them but it will be a tough task. Good Luck to you guys.

He hit the shot in the 1st overtime after McNairy went up by three with 2.4 seconds left. Harpeth threw a prayer down court and instead of knocking down the pass, the McNairy player went up with the Harpeth player and tried catching the ball and the ball went out of bounds off of him. He could have let him catchit because he was inside the 3-point line. He caught the inbounds pass and hit a fade away three to win it.

The trend continued for McNairy last night. Instead of playing to win the game, they played not to lose the game. Of their 11 losses this year, this was their 6th where they blew a game where they led by double digits. They came out running and Harpeth couldn't keep up. Harpeth looked tired after the 1st qtr and then McNairy slowed the pace down alot. Harpeth caught their breath and cut the lead to four at the half. McNairy came out running again to begin the 2nd half and quickly went up by double digits and then went into a stall offense to kill time and gave Harpeth a chance to get their wind again. Like the region game against Sycamore last year and in games this year, McNairy had a 2 point lead with 1:45 to go, and they tried playing keep away and turned the ball over and Harpeth tied the game. I don't want to take anything away from Harpeth because they made the plays and hit some BIG TIME shots to win the game. My point comes from Herm Edwards, you have to play to win the game. You play to win not to lose.

I got a question for you 11AA fans. Is the officials that bad all the time up there? The refs were horrible and horrible for both teams in both games? Especially on what is and what is not a travel.

Unless Waverly pulls a surprising upset, Harpeth you guys will have to really step your game up to play with Bolivar. Bolivar will come out and run you as twice as hard as McNairy did and for the whole game. They will also press you guys the whole game and they will play 10+ players who all can play. If you get some open looks, you better knock them down. It's not impossible to beat them but it will be a tough task. Good Luck to you guys.

Great game last night... First off if Harpeth plays defense the way they played in the fourth quarter and all of the overtimes then the game will against Bolivar will be closer than anyone expects.

I do agree with you about playing not to lose. About half way through the third quarter they started holding the ball, they knew Harpeth could make plays which they did and McNairy was scared. They knew that Harpeth's defense had stepped up and they WERE NOT going to get a good shot off, so they held the ball. Coaching for McNairy was a little sketchy with the holding the ball, but I believe that Harpeth still would have came back either way. How many turnovers did McNairy have in the second half?? A LOT. Why?? Because of the in your face defense Harpeth played. Both teams are good, and I know that this game could have went either way. I think the Harpeth vs. Bolivar match up will be a good one due to the fact that Bolivar has not seen Harpeth this year. Looking at there scores they played people close the first time they played them. Not all teams but some of the better teams on there schedule, which I am going to go out on a limb and say Harpeth is one of the better teams on there schedule, just like McNairy is...

First time they played opponents of the season...

Beat Haywood by 1.

Beat JSS by 11.

Beat McNairy by 4.

Second time around...

Beat Haywood by 22.

Beat JSS by 26.

Beat McNairy by 35.

These are just a few, but I think it should be a decent game when and if it happens..

I agree with Harpeth stepping up the D but I don't think McNairy was scared. McNairy turned the ball over because they were not agressive and Harpeth was. McNairy just spread the floor and every now and them someone would cut to the basket. They ran the weave way too much. It worked the first couple of times but Harpeth knew it was coming after that. McNairy has done this all year, they get a lead and then sit on it. They go into the killing time offense and they turn the ball over all the time. Once they went into it, I told the people around us, we are in trouble because I knew the turnovers were going to happen because it's happened all year when they slowed it down. You guys have some shooters and I knew when you guys got to inbound the ball under your on goal in the 1st OT that you hit a three to tie it.

Holding the ball at the end is not a strategy to not lose but to win. It only makes sense when you are the one with the lead. McNairy did turn it over a few times at crucial moments but Harpeth made the plays like the steal at halfcourt and then a behind the back pass by Giltner for a layup.

Harpeths defense was good but it is easy to play in your face defense with the REFS are letting you push with both hands. McNairy had been going around them all night until the REFS let all that handchecking take place.

Holding the ball at the end is not a strategy to not lose but to win. It only makes sense when you are the one with the lead. McNairy did turn it over a few times at crucial moments but Harpeth made the plays like the steal at halfcourt and then a behind the back pass by Giltner for a layup.

Harpeths defense was good but it is easy to play in your face defense with the REFS are letting you push with both hands. McNairy had been going around them all night until the REFS let all that handchecking take place.

It's ok when you have a 5 point lead with about 2 min to go. But, you don't start holding the ball midway into the 3rd qtr. Especially, when it has backfired many of times the last two years. If they would have kept running and pushing the tempo, they wouldn't have got beat.

Some thoughts on the McNairy/Harpeth game last night:

1. The 'Hail Mary' pass actually had a trailer (who was open by the way) that gets the ball if everything works out well. I asked the same question. Why not let the Harpeth guy catch it in the paint? You have to defend it or risk a wide open look at the three. Still, it was a Hail Mary that worked out. It took a really good pass to get it in the vicinity of the gunner.

2. Harpeth benefited from the first matchup with McNairy in the Lexington tournament around Thanksgiving where the Bobcats backdoored the Indians all night and were up by 25 or so when Harpeth re-inserted the starters and Trey Carruthers went off for about 23 points in the 4th to make a game out of it. I think Harpeth got more out of that game than McNairy did. McNairy successfully ran a backdoor on their second possession of the game and didn't get another backdoor bucket afterwards that I'm aware of.

3. Harpeth played a sloppy game in a lot of ways. They executed when they had to, but they made enough mistakes to lose 4 games. They didn't play well with the lead for whatever reason and sometimes the Indians idea of putting a game away has to include high light reel plays rather than making the open layup and playing tight D. That's why Coach Wilson keeps his hair so short.....

4. The letting the air out of the ball strategy is masterful if it works. It helps take the crowd out of the game (which happened) and puts pressure on Harpeth to score quickly. North Carolina under Dean Smith and Tennessee under Don DeVoe won a lot of games sitting on a lead. I thought they went to it a little early is all.

5. The refs were new to me. They were from Milan I believe. I've never seen them before in my life. No advantage there. I thought they called a pretty good game. Some of the hand checking calls they made had nothing to do with the flow of the game and are no calls a lot of the time. Don't blame the refs on this one.

6. Harpeth's two DI prospects lit it up. Giltner had 25 and Trey Carruthers had 28. They can also run the floor with anyone. McNairy's running game hurt the post play by Harpeth if anything. Hence the 25 and 28 points on the wing. Harpeth had 2 senior contributors out due to illness which affected their bench depth a little bit. Still, I don't think conditioning has been much of a problem for Harpeth this year. I think both districts play up tempo for the most part from what I've seen.

The TSSAA was emphasizing rough play and hand checks this year and referees were so inconsistent with it. The officiating did have something to do with it when you cant get a backdoor cut because people have a hold of you. McNairy went around Harpet the 1st 3 quarters and then got pushed in the 4th with 2 hands to keep them in front of them.

This was a great game, but just all the officiating this year it was bad and the future looks worse as I have seen no good young refs