Mikey Fuller

ghouse

I just wanted to get on here and say a little about what I saw out of Mikey Fuller this weekend.

First just let me say that I think Mikey has been one of the most fun wrestlers to watch over the last several years. I have watched him wrestle a good bit and know how hard he has worked. I have been at Team TN camps where he busted his tail and know how much he and his family love the sport.

Mikey showed a lot of us a very important lesson that I think a lot of people might have missed this past weekend.

As most of us know Mikey moved up to 152 from 140 at regionals. I won't get into any of the rationale behind this because to be frank I don't know any of it! However, what I saw was a lot of people on here overlook Mikey in their predictions most not even picking him to place. I think everyone knew how good a wrestler Mikey was but most discounted his chances at 152 because he was moving up two weight classes for what should have been his toughest competition of the year.

What did Mikey do? Come out and take second in the state at 152 pounds. To be honest I was hoping to see Mikey win a state title as I have always liked the way he wrestled and have seen him working year round for a long time, but it wasn't meant to be. Daniel White was the better wrestler that match.

So what is the lesson Mikey should have reminded everyone of? It isn't the weight that you wrestle at but the quality of a wrestler you are that determines how you succeed. In a sport where many people constantly look for an advantage by dropping a weight(s), Mikey was able to do the opposite and move up 2 weights and still compete with the best this state has to offer and come in second. Mikey didn't let the weight become an issue, he just stepped on the mat and wrestled. That is something I definitely admire. He always wrestled with a style where he laid it all on the line and that didn't change one bit.

I really just wanted to recognize what I thought was one of the best performances at the state, irregardless of winning it all or not. Congratulations Mikey and thanks for giving me yet another great story to follow at the state tournament. Thanks for a fun career. Goodluck to the rest of you and your family.

Thanks and congrats,

Garrett House

I just wanted to get on here and say a little about what I saw out of Mikey Fuller this weekend.

First just let me say that I think Mikey has been one of the most fun wrestlers to watch over the last several years. I have watched him wrestle a good bit and know how hard he has worked. I have been at Team TN camps where he busted his tail and know how much he and his family love the sport.

Mikey showed a lot of us a very important lesson that I think a lot of people might have missed this past weekend.

As most of us know Mikey moved up to 152 from 140 at regionals. I won't get into any of the rationale behind this because to be frank I don't know any of it! However, what I saw was a lot of people on here overlook Mikey in their predictions most not even picking him to place. I think everyone knew how good a wrestler Mikey was but most discounted his chances at 152 because he was moving up two weight classes for what should have been his toughest competition of the year.

What did Mikey do? Come out and take second in the state at 152 pounds. To be honest I was hoping to see Mikey win a state title as I have always liked the way he wrestled and have seen him working year round for a long time, but it wasn't meant to be. Daniel White was the better wrestler that match.

So what is the lesson Mikey should have reminded everyone of? It isn't the weight that you wrestle at but the quality of a wrestler you are that determines how you succeed. In a sport where many people constantly look for an advantage by dropping a weight(s), Mikey was able to do the opposite and move up 2 weights and still compete with the best this state has to offer and come in second. Mikey didn't let the weight become an issue, he just stepped on the mat and wrestled. That is something I definitely admire. He always wrestled with a style where he laid it all on the line and that didn't change one bit.

I really just wanted to recognize what I thought was one of the best performances at the state, irregardless of winning it all or not. Congratulations Mikey and thanks for giving me yet another great story to follow at the state tournament. Thanks for a fun career. Goodluck to the rest of you and your family.

Thanks and congrats,

Garrett House

Yes indeed a phenomnial wrestler to watch. But why did Fuller jump up to weight classes. I know for sure he would have won it if he wrestled the 140 weight class. And is this year not his second time recieveing the best match award at state ?

Yes indeed a phenomnial wrestler to watch. But why did Fuller jump up to weight classes. I know for sure he would have won it if he wrestled the 140 weight class. And is this year not his second time recieveing the best match award at state ?

he didn't get the best match award.. the 160 lb finals match was best match

Mr. House,

Thank you very much for the kind words about Mikey; I'll pass them on. I'm proud of Mikey; he is a good boy and he has been fun to raise. Why did we move Mikey up? He wasn't wrestling very well at 140. His last few matches at 40 he looked very sluggish and slow-footed. Mikey never complains about anything so most people didn't know that he was cutting a fair amount of weight to make 140, about 17 pounds. During the summer he wrestled 145, 152 and 160. He also had some issues at home that had been weighing heavily on Mikey's mind and not making things any easier for him. Steve and Shane came to me with the idea of moving him to 152 and I agreed with them. We talked about it with Mikey and let him make the final decision. Mikey wrestled better during the last three or four weeks of the season than he did all year at 140. Plus, he was happy, smiling, and enjoyed those last few weeks. He also trained harder. I'm heart-broken for Mikey and I wish that he won the match, but he didn't and I am no less proud.

Trevor Fuller

Trevor, Ryan and Mikey are both great kids. I have enjoyed watching them both since ryan was aprox 1st grade. During all those years I saw many wins and several heart breaking losses and dissapointments. What I always saw from both of them was 100% effort and first class behavior. That is what people remember later in life when the boys are looking for jobs, references ect...I know many people would not hesitate to give glowing references to either one. Congrats on a great job parenting.